MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice on setting up a spring reverb tank
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Advice on setting up a spring reverb tank
hotstepper
Hello,

Im trying to set up my accutronics spring reverb tank as a hardware effect for my daw. I have an output from my audio interface going into the spring tank via a 1/4 to RCA adaptor and the output of the tank back into my audio interface again using the adaptor.

When I try to send something out to the tank I dont get anything returned into the daw. Is there something Im missing to make this work?

Thanks
flx
You need an amplifier that fits the specs of the tank. Simply connecting the tank to an audio interface usually doesn’t work as far as I know.
Sir Ruff
I have done exactly what you were doing in the past and gotten a decent signal back through the return. It might just depend on how hot your send signal is. Technically, yes, you do need an amplifier going into the reverb, but I think you can get possible results with a pretty hot send signal.
hotstepper
flx wrote:
You need an amplifier that fits the specs of the tank. Simply connecting the tank to an audio interface usually doesn’t work as far as I know.

Thanks for the info. Would it just be a phono amp?
GuyaGuy
The spring tank of a spring reverb is just one component of an electro-mechanical device. It's like having an electric guitar with no amp. The spring reverb you find in amplifiers, Eurorack modules, rack units, etc. have a drive unit to boost the signal before it hits the springs then a circuit to handle the signal coming from the springs--filter, blender, feedback circuit, whatever else. You either need a dedicated module or device or try to fake it with what you have at hand, e.g. boost the signal with a preamp, use filter to control the reverb coming from the spring, etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1