3.5mm to 1/4" patch cables?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

3.5mm to 1/4" patch cables?

Post by Faastwalker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Can you buy these? Not found many online & the first couple of places I found were sold out.

I found some stereo 3.5mm to single mono 1/4". I'm guessing these would not be much good.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:36 pm

You should be able to find them at any music shop. But, yes, you would want TS on both ends, not TRS. TRS could work, but it could also not work.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:49 pm

I have some of these cables: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/catalogs ... mntl%201/4

You can also use a 3.5mm cable together with a 3.5mm jack to 1/4" plug adapter, even if the adapter (as for headphones) is TRS as long as the cable is TS.
  • Advantage: the cable is the same as your regular patch cables in your modular, so you can swap it out with any one of those if you need a different length later.
  • Disadvantage: you'll probably pay more for the adapter and cable. (Especially as the commonest cheap headphone adapters make poor contact, in my experience; I recommend not buying any one that has a hexagonal plastic body unless it's never going to be tugged on.)

Faastwalker
Common Wiggler

Post by Faastwalker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 pm

kpreid wrote: You can also use a 3.5mm cable together with a 3.5mm jack to 1/4" plug adapter, even if the adapter (as for headphones) is TRS as long as the cable is TS.
  • Advantage: the cable is the same as your regular patch cables in your modular, so you can swap it out with any one of those if you need a different length later.
Good call. I only need a few and already have the patch cables. So I really just need to get hold of a few decent adapters. Sounds like the way forward :tu:

mookmoof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mookmoof » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

I get them from Control modular

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:17 am

I use the Hosa brand ones. They’re cheap, come in a few different lengths, and seem to hold up well. They’re readily available in the US, dunno if they have an Australian distributor though...

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 am

These have been great for me, and come in different lengths...

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Luigi's has 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cables in lots of colors and lengths.

https://luigismodularsupply.com/product ... to-6-35mm/

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Yep HOSA all the way. Those 1/4"-3.5mm cables are great.

Presently, I buy a bunch of 1/4" headphone adapters and just place them on one end of a 3.5mm cable as needed. I've found that's a good solution as I only need to buy 3.5mm cables or 1/4" cables separately, and 1/4" adapters are really inexpensive for when a split cable is necessary. I just keep them in a jar. They're TRS but I've never had an issue with using TS 3.5mm cables with them or inserting into 5U mono gear.

Here's a good five pack that I've bought multiple times:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”