Request to all manufacturers: Please Standardize HP width

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Request to all manufacturers: Please Standardize HP width

Post by unknownartist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:42 am

Hi, probably been discussed, a request to all Eurorack manufacturers, please standardize your modules to specific widths: 2hp, 4hp, 8hp, 16hp, 24hp, 32hp.

Also if a global standard of knob and jack height and spacing could be agreed upon that would be fantastic... e.g. Intellijel, Cwejman, Synthtech, Mutable Instruments, etc.

This is more logical and better looking in every way:

Than this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by unknownartist on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 am

a request to all Eurorack manufacturers
[video][/video]

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am

Is this just trolling?

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Request to all manufacturers: Please Standardize HP widt

Post by MarcelP » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am

unknownartist wrote:

This is more logical and better looking in every way:
Please enumerate the logical ways - genuinely fascinated :hmm:

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am

It's really more of an autonomous collection of engineers following a loosely constructed set of rules than a standard really....
Last edited by Parnelli on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am

I think the bottom rack looks far more interesting, inspiring, and more fun. Who cares how modules line up? I also don't want everything to look homogeneous.
A few bits and bobs for sale here.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am

*yawn*

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:03 pm

If you are going to spend your time trying to pressure "all eurorack manufacturers," your efforts are better spent getting them to standardize on a safe, idiot-proof power system.

Once we have that and everyone's systems are actually working, then we can try to make them all wear the same clothes.

HZR
Common Wiggler

Post by HZR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm

MARK27 wrote:If you are going to spend your time trying to pressure "all eurorack manufacturers," your efforts are better spent getting them to standardize on a safe, idiot-proof power system

Once we have that and everyone's systems are actually working, then we can try to make them all wear the same clothes.
^THIS!

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm

With just a tad over 1500 HP, I have only run into one module that was actually wider HP wise than advertised.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/error-ins ... e-arpopone

For all intents and purposes, this thing is 24 hp, not 22 (although it seems to be closer to 23 1/2 HP?!?!?!)

Even with this being a niche market, there are still a ton of manufacturers. In the grand scheme of things, I think things are still pretty decent. There is plenty of documentation to check your plans against (a big one for me is checking if the ribbon connector is on the top/bottom/left/right of the module)
I have no dog in the race of the 1U argument, as I have none of these modules. No problem with variety, especially seeing as this is the golden age of information. Just imagine this format back in the pre internet days.....what a shitshow it would be!

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm not trolling. If Paul Schreiber made utility modules I'd be set.

More logical meaning a less haphazard design -- a design which indicates some notion of compositional intelligence, that thought went into the design in the interest of keeping things organized and clean, in this case patch cables and a clear layout of patch points

To me this feels more mature:

Than this:

I prefer the density and small form factor of Eurorack compared to working with 1/4" jacks.

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:23 pm

NARC NOISE wrote:With just a tad over 1500 HP, I have only run into one module that was actually wider HP wise than advertised.

For all intents and purposes, this thing is 24 hp, not 22 (although it seems to be closer to 23 1/2 HP?!?!?!)

Off topic:

The Stillson Hammer MkII for $666 is 31 1/2hp.

Intellijel's palette is 62 3/4hp. A prior Intellijel case that I purchased and returned could not properly accommodate modules because the rails were too closely oriented in the vertical direction.

The hole positioning on Whimsical Raps modules are not properly spaced in my case necessitating me to expand said hole // remove excess metal from the faceplate with my mounting bolts in order to fit it into a standard Doepfer 6u case.

All of these examples are less than ideal.
Last edited by unknownartist on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm

MARK27 wrote:If you are going to spend your time trying to pressure "all eurorack manufacturers," your efforts are better spent getting them to standardize on a safe, idiot-proof power system.

I think this problem is two fold. First problem being that, for someone just getting into Eurorack, the power aspect tends to be the most confusing/scariest part of the whole deal. Second, I feel like I see a lot of people looking for the cheapest option, since they are so excited to get to the fun part. Again, if you do the research and plan ahead, you can get what your needs require. My 168HP 12U DIY case is powered with Trogotronic (which is about as dummy proof as you can get, tons of instructions, easy to wire up) and my 4 TipTop Mantis cases work like a charm. I did have an issue with the -12v rail on one of those cases, but it was an easy fix.

Long stories get made short.....take your time, do your research....I was a complete rookie 3 years ago, and realized that this hobby takes some time and patience to really get into.

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:30 pm

I've never had a problem euro busboards. For those who do, when mounting a module, perhaps a deep breath and 5 seconds of focus will help?
Last edited by unknownartist on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:30 pm

unknownartist wrote:
NARC NOISE wrote:With just a tad over 1500 HP, I have only run into one module that was actually wider HP wise than advertised.

The Stillson Hammer MkII for $666 is 31 1/2 hp. That's less than ideal.

Yeah, that's no good. I feel like, at the bare minimum, HP should be the one advertised measurement that isn't off base. I get module voltage draw and power output numbers being a bit off here and there, but the HP is about the most basic thing to not fuck up.

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm

standardized hp width.
jejejeje a little too late for that,
I didn't know it was crime on eurorack.
alert the HP police Taskforce and fine those who manufacture odd hp width jejejejeje
Last edited by Wick on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm

MARK27 wrote:If you are going to spend your time trying to pressure "all eurorack manufacturers," your efforts are better spent getting them to standardize on a safe, idiot-proof power system.
Yeah, then Mylarmelodies could take down his 'scare the children' video. :twisted:

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 pm

I like the Pico modules (3 HP), Cinnamon and this other 5HP wide module (I can't even remember what it is right now) :confused:
because then I have a little extra room, so that everything can easily fit in a wide rack.
Plus, I like to put 1HP blanks between some modules so I can get my fat little fingers on the knobs :doh:

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?

unknownartist
Common Wiggler

Post by unknownartist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Wick wrote:lol standardized hp width jejejeje a little too late for that I didn't know it was crime on eurorack.
alert the HP police Taskforce and fine those who manufacture odd hp width likes IME or Xaoc for making the poti and nin 3hp jejejejeje.
To me, this is spam, as are off width hp modules.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Wick wrote:lol standard hp with jejejeje a little too late for that I didn't know it was crime.alert the HP police Taskforce and fine those who manufacture odd hp width likes IME or Xaoc for making the poti and nin 3hp jejejejeje.
No problem with odd HP modules. I have a Batumi/Poti, as well as a Tyme Sefari, Hertz Donut MKIII, Bionic Lester MKIII, and a Zorlon Cannon (all of which are odd HP) The problem is a manufacturer advertising a module as XX HP, when in reality the module is off anywhere from a 1/2HP on up...

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 pm

unknownartist wrote:
Wick wrote:lol standardized hp width jejejeje a little too late for that I didn't know it was crime on eurorack.
alert the HP police Taskforce and fine those who manufacture odd hp width likes IME or Xaoc for making the poti and nin 3hp jejejejeje.
To me, this is spam, as are off width hp modules.

If not spam, at least typed out by a teenager....

BaloErets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm

The systems you post as more mature, logical and better looking I personally find boring, ugly and uninspiring. Just my personal opinion.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 pm

NARC NOISE wrote:Yeah, that's no good. I feel like, at the bare minimum, HP should be the one advertised measurement that isn't off base. I get module voltage draw and power output numbers being a bit off here and there, but the HP is about the most basic thing to not fuck up.
I would like to point out that all modules have identical voltage. the voltage is not determined by the load (the module) in a constant voltage power system. the manufacterer's specifications for module rated voltage have always been %100 correct %100 of the time. modules also do not output power. they consume power and output heat. if you find a module that has a power consumption rating with a negative number than we could say that the module power output numbers provided by manufacturers is not correct. but actually that has never been the case.
Last edited by EATyourGUITAR on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:42 pm

I see your point (kind of) but: it's never gonna happen. Ever.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
NARC NOISE wrote:Yeah, that's no good. I feel like, at the bare minimum, HP should be the one advertised measurement that isn't off base. I get module voltage draw and power output numbers being a bit off here and there, but the HP is about the most basic thing to not fuck up.
I would like to point out that all modules have identical voltage. the voltage is not determined by the load (the module) in a constant voltage power system. the manufacterer's specifications for module rated voltage have always been %100 correct %100 of the time. modules also do not output power. they consume power and output heat. if you find a module that has a power consumption rating with a negative number than we could say that the module power output numbers provided by manufacturers is not correct. but actually that has never been the case.

I probably worded that oddly....I meant voltage draw of modules, and power output numbers realating to power supply items (ie bricks, busboards, etc) Looking at the way I wrote that, it does appear that I am stating that modules output power....

Return to “Eurorack Modules”