MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Musical evolution update
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Musical evolution update
gminorcoles
Maybe some old rave people types will tune into this.

I posted a while ago about how my education as a keyboardist was gradually eating my old electronic music tendencies. It is still occurring, but things are balancing out a bit.

I have not made a single “techno jam” at least nothing beyond in the moment stuff with friends over or the kids, I have found a middle ground of what is essentially r and b, beats based music that compositionally springs from chord progressions or keyboard parts that I track in while unwinding after piano practice.

It is interesting to be an intermediate piano player (my teacher says I can call myself that) , because it’s not necessarily connected to anything useful at the moment it is time to play a cool bass line or make a convincing solo or a beat. Improvisation around any chord progressions is really halting and painful.

I always have some music going through my head, and it has become easier to plunk out those fragments, but fleshing them out is still lots of times most efficiently done in the piano roll rather than playing whole parts. Kind of how producers string together the best fragments of a vocal performance by a mediocre rapper or vocalist.

It is interesting to switch over to a piano patch and bang out a piece that is one iof my current practice pieces. It sounds legit! and it highlights how technically simple a lot of really good songwriting is, and how it’s mostly mental, not a technical task. At this point I can read and play music that sounds really fast and complicated compared to an (average) billy Joel song, or an Elton John song. Maybe not compared to a Stevie wonder or herbie Hancock piece, but I can “play” any Bernie worrell talking heads part now.

But mimicry is obviously a far cry from creation. So there is a gulf.

There are other instruments unrelated to keyboard that I can play with authority, so I am not trapped forever on this island, and I can freely improvise on those instruments, so I know how it feels to have freedom.

I used to pity the older musicians I knew who seemed to live only through their song books, sitting down earnestly to play jazz standards, or bluegrass, or some other repertoire based music. I thought why would you willingly live in a world where you can only echo the sounds and ideas of other people? And now I am that old person.

The next, perhaps crowning indignity will be when my piano teacher approves my transition to jazz. I will experience a feeling of exultation at getting through my own personal rendition of “what a wonderful world” on the bar piano we use for some recitals. Anyone who is randomly at the bar will just shake their heads and be like I hate that crap and I will be grinning and bowing in the direction of my fellow piano students, and I will be THAT guy.
gminorcoles
Also I am posting here instead of Keyboard Korner because you people make the music I LISTEN to, but the aesthetic chasm between the music I am making, and experiencing as part of this phase of my education, And the essentially psychedelic dance and EDM and experimental electronica which I think of as “my” music, is an interesting juxtaposition and I feel that there is someone else out there who has debased themselves as I have, and is yet very happy yet bemused by the process.
_lampshade_
Hi, i'm in a similar place i guess, definitely an old rave type lol. I've been involved with electronic music as a hobby and sometimes job for decades now, and this year I've went back to taking piano lessons again and intensive practice after not having studied traditional music since i was a kid. I started back down this path as a way of increasing my knowledge of music theory so i could more effectively compose interesting electronic stuff in the ambient modular drone realm, but i am finding that i get just as much enjoyment from playing and practicing music that i love on piano, Eric Satie, Bach some easier Jazz stuff. in a way playing and practicing piano (for me) is maybe a subtle but very effective way of procrastinating from working on my own original electronic music?. Hopefully it swings back around and my skills are enriched from the experience. Always interesting to hear how musicians balance study and creation. Good luck to you in Piano and Synths!
Feinstrom
Bot?
flashheart
Why would you think that? They've posted perfectly reasonable stuff before...
ObsoleteModular
Feinstrom wrote:
Bot?

-tom?
ObsoleteModular
gminorcoles wrote:
The next, perhaps crowning indignity will be when my piano teacher approves my transition to jazz.

Are you doing any chord drills? 2-5-1s etc? Shells/guide tones? Around cycle of 5ths?

It's transformed my playing and my ear particularly chord improvisation. My hands find interesting places to go all by themselves.

Phill de Greg's Jazz Keyboard Harmony is a bible round my parts!
gminorcoles
ObsoleteModular wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
The next, perhaps crowning indignity will be when my piano teacher approves my transition to jazz.

Are you doing any chord drills? 2-5-1s etc? Shells/guide tones? Around cycle of 5ths?

It's transformed my playing and my ear particularly chord improvisation. My hands find interesting places to go all by themselves.

Phill de Greg's Jazz Keyboard Harmony is a bible round my parts!

I am still preoccupied with the classical stuff. I am following my teachers lead on that for now. I have Keyboard Harmony but have not really touched it yet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1