MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL - New Mini Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author SSL - New Mini Sequencer
dslocum
JLR has let the cat out of the bag on Instagram: Mini Sequencer

I'm getting units ready to ship later this week so I'm taking backorders in our web store (hopefully that works - I've never done that before.)

Here's a link to the product page. Enjoy!
SSL 1650 Mini Sequencer
ualslosar
Great work, Doug.

I just ordered one thru your site ok.

- Another great SSL product

Regards
Larry
josaka
looks well funky Doug.. ! applause
Sir Ruff
That looks really sweet. I see Rest--is there any sort of legato?
gregae
Looks great Doug! Noticed the ganged Clock In jacks in the photo - how does that work? hmmm.....
dslocum
gregae wrote:
Looks great Doug! Noticed the ganged Clock In jacks in the photo - how does that work? hmmm.....

Just convenient "mults" for cascading.
steffengrondahl
It looks nice. Simple but versatile.
A few questions:

Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope (edit: envelope lol ) generator. Doesn't seems to be possible hmmm.....

When in programming mode will the leds on the octave and key buttons show previously stored values?
dslocum
Sir Ruff wrote:

From the data sheet:
"REST: Instead of containing a note, a REST step holds the previous note and doesn’t fire the gate."

Hope that's what you mean.
dslocum
steffengrondahl wrote:

Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope generator. Doesn't seems to be possible hmmm.....

You are correct. That's not possible unfortunately.

steffengrondahl wrote:

When in programming mode will the leds on the octave and key buttons show previously stored values?

If I understand correctly - While programming, as you advance to a step, it will show the currently programmed note/rest and octave. You can then overwrite that with a new note/rest/octave, or leave it and move to the next step. Hope that makes sense. After a short time getting used to it, its really pretty simple to use.
Faustgeist
Neat, I'm down for one!
steffengrondahl
dslocum wrote:
steffengrondahl wrote:

Can you reset it with a trigger? For instance with a pulse from an even lope generator. Doesn't seems to be possible hmmm.....

You are correct. That's not possible unfortunately.

Guess I can do without. I only use the reset input to bring the sequencers in sync when out of sync and I don't want to stop them from running. But how often does it really occur hmmm.....

dslocum wrote:
steffengrondahl wrote:

If I understand correctly - While programming, as you advance to a step, it will show the currently programmed note/rest and octave. You can then overwrite that with a new note/rest/octave, or leave it and move to the next step. Hope that makes sense. After a short time getting used to it, its really pretty simple to use.

When I wrote previous value I meant current value, so you understood me better than I did Mr. Green
dslocum
Guys,

Sorry - I forgot to formally credit Scott Rise at Division-6 for the original awesome design in Euro rack format. we're not worthy Guinness ftw!
Sir Ruff
dslocum wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

From the data sheet:
"REST: Instead of containing a note, a REST step holds the previous note and doesn’t fire the gate."

Hope that's what you mean.

yes, it is! Just wanted to confirm that rest didn't also kill the previous note.
josaka
really lovely little thing.. on looks alone its tempting.
..for me presets are important plus rachets/offsets/diff run modes..
fac
Great looking sequencer, economic size, good set of features, no-nonsense interface (especially no screens or menus). Reminds me a lot of my Mobius. Mini-keyboard during stand-by is a very nice touch. Really tempting.

BTW.- Acc output can be used to trigger a drum sound (e.g., ThunDrum), while the additional clock output can trigger a hi-hat sound. One could squeeze a lot from this sequencer.
steffengrondahl
I've been back and forth regarding this modules. For two reasons:

First: The look. I like the switch buttons. Seems to be the same kind as on my Prophet-6, but using way more of the color palette (just grey, black and red on the prophet) smile
But then there's all the white areas on the modules. Eek zombie It almost looks like a Caleb Condit module eek! Mr. Green hihi (hides)

So I did a mockup to see if my aesthetic references would let it down:

OK - it passed. So on for the second objection:
This is a sequencer that cannot be played live. No way of skipping steps or changing reset point when running. And thus very much different from the common sequencers. Actually it reminds me of how things where before I went modular 8 years ago: I did all my sequencers on one of my two ( jawdrop ) Andromeda. Tedious programming with the small knobs below the screen and changing screen view with the push buttons. Better than using a DAW? Probably not, but it was how I did it. And not only that. I did write the sequencer settings down in a documents with comments of which effect processing that will work good (delay, reverb etc) Dead Banana I've got about 200 sequencers listed, ready to be reprogrammed in ... for instance the SSL Mini Sequencer Mr. Green razz

TL;DR

OK I just bought one of these. Until it arrives I will use the mock-up above lol

PS: I sold my two Andromeda when going modular. Haven't regretted at all cool
daveholiday
steffengrondahl wrote:
I've been back and forth regarding this modules. For two reasons:

First: The look. I like the switch buttons. Seems to be the same kind as on my Prophet-6, but using way more of the color palette (just grey, black and red on the prophet) smile
But then there's all the white areas on the modules. Eek zombie It almost looks like a Caleb Condit module eek! Mr. Green hihi (hides)

I sorta agree...I get the white buttons for the keyboard, but I did find it a touch "colorful" for my taste. I am sure that is probably an easy fix DIY swapping out buttons....or maybe not. This is just my opinion (opinions are like assholes....when you hear them it stinks!) I like the black, white, grey look of 5U so the extra colors were a bit weird for me when I think about it in my system.

As a sequencer, I like it. It covers a lot of ground for the price. I get that there will be some features lacking at this price point, but that is a pretty attractive price point. Kudos!!
josaka
think the module looks great.!!. very 80s kids toy/sequential sequencer..
the mock up makes it look a lot more stand out!!..and also not a fan of calebs work ! smile...have to think of this in a hexinverter 'simple sequencer' kind of way..
daveholiday
josaka wrote:
think the module looks great.!!. very 80s kids toy/sequential sequencer..
the mock up makes it look a lot more stand out!!..and also not a fan of calebs work ! smile...have to think of this in a hexinverter 'simple sequencer' kind of way..

It is very Juno 6/60/106 !!!
Flareless
I like the Prophet style buttons applause

Beautiful module Doug! thumbs up
dslocum
Awesome comments guys! Thanks. I don't take offense to any of the comments. "It is what it is". I decided the buttons and colors for the MU version, so blame me! The MSN Smack!

Scott Rise @ Division-6 created this thing and we should credit him for his insight and superb programming / design talents.

I think its a fun little sequencing machine that we've tried to price reasonably. Hope you think so too!
josaka
the said sequencer smile

then

the classic..

eventually smile

Heritage select..

Ockeghem
Naming it the 1650 almost seems like a nod to the late great MOTM-650 sequencer, although the features are different.
steffengrondahl
Ha ha, glad I could stir things up a bit hihi
Actually I tried to do some photoshopping just for fun. I believe I succeeded making some modifications that looks more traditional MU (or you can say more conservative), but in the end Dougs design makes more sense thumbs up

Looking forward to the module. It will be the oddball in my setup, both with regards to look, feel and functionality Mr. Green

josaka it seems like the buttons changed from the early to late SCI models. The laters seems more - ahem - cheap. Doug seems to be the same kind as the early (Prophet 5). And the Rolands have more narrow and perhaps longer buttons with more hot colors cool
daveholiday
dslocum wrote:
Awesome comments guys! Thanks. I don't take offense to any of the comments. "It is what it is". I decided the buttons and colors for the MU version, so blame me! The MSN Smack!

My apologies for forcing my traditional MU values....I AM A FRAUD....I DON"T EVEN HAVE A PONYTAIL!!! And even worse...I don't even own a 5U sequencer...I do most of it via MIDI/computer.... eek!

I am sure I will be banned soon.... waah

Still love the features for the price!! Great job! Hopefully I will get to play with one....(Faustgeist) wink, wink, nudge, nudge!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2