Advice for a Beginner: Effects Modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Crucial_Noise
Learning to Wiggle

Advice for a Beginner: Effects Modules

Post by Crucial_Noise » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm

It's been a very long time since I've used this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place!

I currently have a Moog Mother 32, and will be getting a Maths shortly. I'd like to get an effects module, primarily for reverb or delay, but also for a bit of distortion before I get a dedicated distortion module. I'm currently stuck between the Pico DSP or the Endorphin.es Milky Way (but I'm open to alternative suggestions at a similar c.£150 price point).

What do you guys think?

Edit: my next planned modules are a Clouds, something like a Viol Ruina and a Batumi, alongside another VCO and the necessary utilites (mults and mixes etc).

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 pm

You could be interested in the new ZVERB / ECHOZ / Z5000 from TipTop, discussed in this forum: viewtopic.php?t=224237&start=0

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:23 pm

paranormind wrote:You could be interested in the new ZVERB / ECHOZ / Z5000 from TipTop, discussed in this forum: viewtopic.php?t=224237&start=0
You beat me to it! Seems like those could well fit the bill

Another option it’s he Erica Synths Pico DSP, which certainly covers all the effects types you mentioned very well

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:24 pm

Doh! Just realised you mentioned that in your original post! :doh:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Also bear in mind that the Expert Sleepers DISTING covers a number of fx, along with a zillion other functions. They aren’t it’s main focus, but some of them still sound pretty decent, especially the delays.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Maybe stretch your budget and get Erica Synths Dual FX?

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Not a module but I love my zoom MS-70cdr, for distortions get a guitar pedal too. I use them with my ALM 006
https://busycircuits.com/alm006/

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Happy Nerding FX AID is coming out soon.

Clouds with Parasites firmware has a reverb mode.

Not a module, and its release appears to be delayed a few months, but the Korg Nu:Tekt NTS-1 synth kit can be used as an outboard stereo effects processor (modulation+delay+reverb at the same time).

Homepage Englisch
Common Wiggler

Post by Homepage Englisch » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:01 pm

I've misread the title as Advice for Behringer. :doh:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 am

All the above recommendations are good, be aware that the TipTop modules are designed as end of chain output modules. I have a feeling based on Paul's attention to detail and the demos that the Synthesis Technology E520 Hyperion Stereo Effects Processor is going to be amazing but it is a large module, not sure how big your case is.

I use a Doepfer spring reverb, a Synth Tech E580 Resampling Mini-Delay, an ER-301, and an Eventide H9 using an Intellijel Audio I/O. I also use outboard Strymon pedals connected to a mixing desk.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 am

My reply might be dumb but I'd just try to look up any reverb or delay module that show up in your price range on Modular Grid on YouTube (that's what I do.) I'm writing that because I've been looking for a reverb module I like for months (I know of pedals I could use but I want to keep it all in the rack) and didn't find any yet. Maybe it's the current trend in shimmery reverb, maybe it's the fact I want to avoid menu-diving, but I couldn't find any. Although the last video on the Mimeophon from Mylar Melodies may have convinced me. (it's above your price range but it seems quite handy still...)

SnakesandBladders
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SnakesandBladders » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:23 am

matttech wrote:Also bear in mind that the Expert Sleepers DISTING covers a number of fx, along with a zillion other functions. They aren’t it’s main focus, but some of them still sound pretty decent, especially the delays.
I also love the delays on the disting. The mk4 is a staple in my rack. Use it to tune my oscillators. And if not for delay my second most used are its quantizers. And it has just about everything else you could need on a whim :deadbanana:

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:40 am

Do you diy?
Music thing spring (digital or tank) it’s pretty good I think.
(Belton block only, no spring tank for me)
Or
Frequency central does a reverb/chorus/delay that is new.
Stasis leak.
But I can’t comment on sound as I haven’t built it yet.
He does sell assembled modules but I’m not sure if they are yet released.

Both are 6hp.
As kits both are cheap.
I will always keep the music thing spring

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 am

I reckon a Disting is a no brainer tbh. All the verb/delay etc + waveshaping etc etc tec.........

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 am

dubonaire wrote:All the above recommendations are good, be aware that the TipTop modules are designed as end of chain output modules.
I wasn't aware of that, what are the implications?

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:48 pm

paranormind wrote:
dubonaire wrote:All the above recommendations are good, be aware that the TipTop modules are designed as end of chain output modules.
Nothing major, just that they are mono to stereo, and that the output is a bit lower than standard modular levels (but still reasonable, and fairly loud compared with usual line level....check the thread for these modules for more info from tip-top).

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:05 am

paranormind wrote:
The input can handle 10V p-p (what we call 'modular level, although there is no such standard) without digitally clipping or analog distortion.

The 100% wet output starts to clip around 9.3V so full 10V output will have clipping.

The wet/dry mix hits 12V p-p depending on the source, effect type and mix.

'End of chain' is something people on Muff's have obsessed over, but really we designed these to interface with both modular and outboard line level mixers easily in a send and return configuration like other hardware effects. There is far more headroom and output compared to pedals like Strymon and Eventide.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

akrenaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akrenaut » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:53 am

+1 on the Disting MK4. You'll get most of the effects you're looking for. As you advance through your eurorack journey, the utility functions, the sampler, will all come in handy at some point. These can also help you decide what other functionality you may want in a stand alone module down the road.

Honestly, aside from the effects which are great. The sample algorithms are worth the price of the module alone and are really fun to use.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:36 am

if you thinking about disting specifically for effects though (or others listed here for that matter), you should probably just hold off a few weeks and look into FX aid. see the super impressive demos. IMO sounds better and much more effects and more coming.

4hp multi effects and sound amazing. I think FX aid is going to be huge and a must have ero module. im planning on getting two.

viewtopic.php?p=3111535
http://www.happynerding.com/category/fx-aid/

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm

Not sure if you employ effects pedals. If you do I suggest a Malekko SND/RTN to use with any existing pedals. Works great in patches or at end of patches.

A lot folks use the 2HP VERB. The Erica looks real nice.

For distortion I would look at VCA's or dedicated modules.

If you have room and available funds there certainly are a lot of options.

I use three Malekko SND/ RTN's with a variety of existing pedals.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, A/DA Final Phase, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
WTB: Kurzweil Rumour (or trade for Mangler)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”