MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Temperature drop!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Temperature drop!
ba1
Not really specific to 5U, but I trust the answers that I get here a little more. I'll be moving from Brooklyn, NY to Lansing, MI at the end of December for a new job. I have a ton of stuff to pack. My plan is to load a 26" unheated truck up over the course of the first day day, leave everything locked over night and then make the 11 - 12 hour drive the next day. I usually load any electronics toward the front of the truck to reduce bounce. However, this could mean that my synths and pro-audio gear spend over 24 hours in potentially sub-freezing temps. Is there a risk of the cold causing damage to my equipment? If so, any ideas for how to protect my stuff?

Thanks!
Flareless
Living up here in Canada where the temperatures are rarely above freezing meh Mr. Green I've found that as long as you don't apply electricity to the components before they've come to room temperature they're good to go.

Just let 'em warm up before plugging 'em in.

This has been my personal experience.
ba1
Good to know! Thanks Rich!
Orgia Mode
Welcome to MI. (I'm in Traverse City)
Hope you brought your antidepressants, because Michigan. Dead Banana
MrNezumi
If you box up or bundle stuff, leave the boxes/bundles closed while they warm up inside. If you try to rush things, it may make condensation inside the equipment.

Also, is a 26 inch truck big enough to hold all of your stuff? hihi
defutura
MrNezumi wrote:
Also, is a 26 inch truck big enough to hold all of your stuff? hihi

Stonehenge!
ba1
Sorry, The 26" truck is just for my eurorack case. lol The rest is going in a 26' truck.

I'm not on antidepressants yet, but i probably should be. I was hoping that moving to MI would get me away from the Dead Banana of Brooklyn! I guess the snow is always whiter on the other side...

Thanks all, for your advice!

Happy Tofurkey Day!
hsosdrum
When I was a touring musician based in Minnesota between 1973 and 1977 our gear would occasionally sit in our (unheated) equipment truck for days between gigs,

in winter...

in Minnesota.

The MiniMoog was always packed at the very rear of the truck so that as soon as the roadies pulled into the venue for a gig they could bring the Moog into the building and get it warmed up. Quite often the venue owner would not turn on the heat inside the building until hours after the roadies began load-in, so they got into the habit of connecting the Moog to AC, turning it on and letting it warm up while they unloaded and set up the rest of our gear (7 tons worth).

By the time the band arrived at the venue the Moog was sufficiently warm so that our keyboard player could get it to stay in tune with his Hammond BCV and his Fender Rhodes.

If the roadies failed to follow this procedure the Moog would be unusable until our third set, which usually started after 11pm. (We typically played 4 sets a night.)

P.S. In spite of the temperature extremes, that Moog never experienced a failure. (The Mellotron 400, on the other hand... Dead Banana )
dslocum
hsosdrum wrote:
When I was a touring musician based in Minnesota between 1973 and 1977 our gear would occasionally sit in our (unheated) equipment truck for days between gigs,

in winter...

in Minnesota.

The MiniMoog was always packed at the very rear of the truck so that as soon as the roadies pulled into the venue for a gig they could bring the Moog into the building and get it warmed up. Quite often the venue owner would not turn on the heat inside the building until hours after the roadies began load-in, so they got into the habit of connecting the Moog to AC, turning it on and letting it warm up while they unloaded and set up the rest of our gear (7 tons worth).

By the time the band arrived at the venue the Moog was sufficiently warm so that our keyboard player could get it to stay in tune with his Hammond BCV and his Fender Rhodes.

If the roadies failed to follow this procedure the Moog would be unusable until our third set, which usually started after 11pm. (We typically played 4 sets a night.)

P.S. In spite of the temperature extremes, that Moog never experienced a failure. (The Mellotron 400, on the other hand... Dead Banana )

Coming from a roadie background with serious MiniMoog experience ....

100% what he said!
commodorejohn
The big issue I've run into with this isn't so much cold as moisture - metal surfaces especially are prone to frost or condensation build-up, and if you don't give that moisture time to warm up and evaporate, Bad Things can happen. My DW-8000 got hosed that way - knew I shoulda let it warm up and dry out after sitting out in the trunk of the car on a particularly damp evening, but I got impatient and fired it up only to hear a nice POP and find that the output was nearly-inaudible and mostly noise :( Still need to get it fixed...
Orgia Mode
commodorejohn wrote:
The big issue I've run into with this isn't so much cold as moisture - metal surfaces especially are prone to frost or condensation build-up, and if you don't give that moisture time to warm up and evaporate, Bad Things can happen. My DW-8000 got hosed that way - knew I shoulda let it warm up and dry out after sitting out in the trunk of the car on a particularly damp evening, but I got impatient and fired it up only to hear a nice POP and find that the output was nearly-inaudible and mostly noise :( Still need to get it fixed...

I've seen condensation on surfaces of any many materials after bringing it in to the house. Does it have to do with "how quickly" the object heats up?
As silly as it sounds, maybe a few heated blankets wrapped around the rig and plugged into the car lighter port for the whole trip. seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1