MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Coolaudio V662A (BA662A clone)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Coolaudio V662A (BA662A clone)
ishi
Coolaudio just presented its own version of the BA662. Something that was to be expected after all the remakes of sister company Behringer. Curious how it compares to the original and the beloved existing clones.

Flounderguts
well, good!

Does this devalue the old BA662 chips I've been hoarding?
Altitude909
seeing that sheet mentions an SOP package, i'd say no
vtl5c3
I do like that it's a dual unit.
SmartBits
Apparently AMSynths has helped with this:

Altitude909
SmartBits wrote:
Apparently AMSynths has helped with this:

Not really rocket science. The functional diagram of that part has been available for 40 years and there has been an open source discrete clone available for 5 years. You would think CA had engineers to work this out themselves without having to get outside help. Wouldnt be surprised if they just reworked the 13700 die since they are so close functionality wise and that would explain the dual aspect also

Clearly they are working on a clone using early SH/Jupiter era VCFs that used 6 BA662s
devinw1
Being they are saying the "holy Grail of Synths" seems pretty much like they are gonna do a Jupiter.
Altitude909
here's a weird twist (but kinda confirms the post above)

This is the VCA in the TD-3. Note that this is Guest's BA662 clown design down to my added offset reduction mod

so my question with all this is, are they planning on redoing the design when the ba662 production run is complete? when i heard about the ba662 being done by coolaudio, i assumed it already had been made for the td3. this kinda doesnt make sense, unless they were being held up by the ba662, and just decided to do the first run with the clown instead.
cackland
Excuse my ignorance, can someone explain why the importance of the BA662. Which significant devices have these components been in?
synthetek
cackland wrote:
Which significant devices have these components been in?

Pretty much all the old Roland stuff , TB-303 , SH-101, Jupiter, etc...
synthetek
cackland wrote:

cackland
synthetek wrote:
cackland wrote:

Ah I see. Good to know
paperCUT
Altitude909 wrote:
here's a weird twist (but kinda confirms the post above)

This is the VCA in the TD-3. Note that this is Guest's BA662 clown design down to my added offset reduction mod

Well that's pretty bad to just steal a DIY clone without credit. BTW where did you get the teardown pics of the TD-3? I haven't been able to get hold of one yet. Edit found them:
https://imgur.com/a/MMNifIr
as all of my stuff is completely open source, with no licence, i cant really complain. the way i look at it, its like the guy who shows up to the buffet and lines his pockets with plastic bags so he can take food home for later. its just pathetic more than anything else. part of me is happy that there is a low cost acid box out there for people, but i could never in good conscience give money to behringer, not after all the lawsuits and other shenanigans over the years. it really is sad. so much potential for good tarnished by greed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1