MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dnipro Dot - 3 Channel Trigger Sequecer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Dnipro Dot - 3 Channel Trigger Sequecer
mdoudoroff
Dnipro, producer of the superb—in my opinion—Metamorph has just revealed their second module. It’s got excellent blinkenlights. It’s also highly affordable (~$160).

3 channels pattern generator

Dot is handy feature-packed tool for generating and managing rhythmic triggers in your system. It can fire drums, generate variable pulses, divide clocks, create polyrhythms on a fly with several twist of a knob or with deep, careful pattern programming. Both generative and manual program techniques can be combined, f.e. you can create pattern with euclidian algorithm and then edit it in xox style or shift it with cv inputs to a new levels of variety.

Despite of its slim form factor, DOT has 3 channels of patterns on a board and can be extended with additional DOTs, that can be chained together.

General features:

- 3 channels trigger sequencer in 6 hp
- euclidian pattern generators and XOX step programing
- real time manual recording
- 3 routable bi-polar cv inputs
- ability to save and load patterns
- programmable ratchets
- swing
- flip-able interface
- stable clocking with ultra low latency
- several modules can be chained to share clock and reset

Technical details

- 6 hp
- 120 mA +12V
- 20A -12V
- 0 mA 5V
- 42 mm deep
- 4mS, 4.5v triggers

https://www.dnipro-modular.net/dot
synonymist
As a fellow player and admirer of Metamorph, I thank you. This module looks like being very cool. And yes, those are some serious blinkenlights. Gonna need shades to play it. cool
flashheart
I was just thinking of buying the SDS RIT_M then this arrives. Not quite the same functionality but I don't really need the CV recording. Is tap recording (time) quantised? Looks like it might be.
mdoudoroff
flashheart wrote:
I was just thinking of buying the SDS RIT_M then this arrives. Not quite the same functionality but I don't really need the CV recording. Is tap recording (time) quantised? Looks like it might be.

Pretty sure it has to be.
Tumulishroomaroom
Love Metamorph and this looks very cool.
defalut
Dig this, i might actually use it and build me a small drum system with this as foundation. With two it could be a very nice drum machine. Though at $320 other sequencers might also be in reach of course. Hmm.. hmmm.....
pekbro
Nice, I might have to squeeze in one more module purchase for one (or two)
of these. Though my wallet is bleeding out due to BF sales already Guinness ftw!
djd_oz
A couple of questions,

1) What can you control with the CV inputs?
2) Is it possible to add some randomisation in to the patterns?
peripatitis
I believe you control the Euclidean parameters. The xox run at the same time without cv control though.
It seems like a very nice module, but (and this is a more general thought) I don't understand why they don't include gate and gate length control in these trigger sequencers.
xcc
djd_oz wrote:
A couple of questions,

1) What can you control with the CV inputs?
2) Is it possible to add some randomisation in to the patterns?

Here’s the CV section from the tiny user guide:

“ Each track has a dedicated CV input. The destination of each CV input is represented by 3 color bricks on the bottom of screen, referred to a specific track parameter: Green is for FILL, Red is for LENGTH, Yellow is for OFFSET.
CV inputs accepst bi-polar signals from -5 to +5 v,
or usual 0 to +5v.”

No mention of randomization.
mdoudoroff
It’s interesting to compare this module with VPME’s Euclidean Circles (which I consider a stone cold classic). Dnipro has made a slightly smaller module that has an elegance about it, and it addresses the one glaring omission of Euclidean Circles: CV control. However, EC does more otherwise, and its rotaries with the LED circles are arguably a better UI than the LED grid on the Dot.

peripatitis, you generally only see gate length in sequencers that have some idea of time (i.e. their own clock). This module is just a counter.
Sookilala
Great looking module and awesome price.

Seems to me to do polymeter rather than polyrhythm though no?

Not trying to be a kill joy, got excited when i saw polyrhythm, but unless im missing it cant ?

Awesome looking module regardless
peripatitis
mdoudoroff wrote:

peripatitis, you generally only see gate length in sequencers that have some idea of time (i.e. their own clock). This module is just a counter.

true, but step by step gate control, let alone cv is usually neglected in those case as well.
mdoudoroff
Sookilala, yes, I don’t see how this can produce polyrhythms with only one clock. Maybe that’s why the second h is missing?
hmmm.....
vdgno
Sookilala wrote:
Great looking module and awesome price.

Seems to me to do polymeter rather than polyrhythm though no?

Not trying to be a kill joy, got excited when i saw polyrhythm, but unless im missing it cant ?

Awesome looking module regardless

You are right, To be correct its actually creates polymeter not a polyrhythm. d'oh!
Arneb
mdoudoroff wrote:
It’s interesting to compare this module with VPME’s Euclidean Circles (which I consider a stone cold classic). Dnipro has made a slightly smaller module that has an elegance about it, and it addresses the one glaring omission of Euclidean Circles: CV control. However, EC does more otherwise, and its rotaries with the LED circles are arguably a better UI than the LED grid on the Dot.

One aspect of the Dot which I like from what I see is the Euclidean-to-x0x convert functionality. VPME EC has a very similar x0x mode, but no conversion functionality, the Euclidean and x0x patterns are completely separate, which is a bit annoying if you want an "almost Euclidean" kind of pattern... I'm seriously considering racking both in an EC+Dot+WMD SSM combo (already have EC).
Keltie
Arneb wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

One aspect of the Dot which I like from what I see is the Euclidean-to-x0x convert functionality. VPME EC has a very similar x0x mode, but no conversion functionality, the Euclidean and x0x patterns are completely separate, which is a bit annoying if you want an "almost Euclidean" kind of pattern... I'm seriously considering racking both in an EC+Dot+WMD SSM combo (already have EC).

Yeh. It kinda sorta reminds me a little of grids in Euclidean mode too... but 10hp smaller with a more visual UI. I have both grids and EC, but this is making me GASsy n itchy. It could replace one or other. The chaining is nice. I’d miss hardware mutes ( I have the EC expander) but a(nother) div kid mutes could sort that.

OTOH, it might get a bit divey for what I use these for - jamming style real time EDM building.

Sigh... it never ends.
cackland
Very nice. Great demo.
Arneb
Question about swing, how does the Dot's swing setting work when you feed an external clock in? How does it respond to a swung clock input?

(I mostly work with a swung 4ppqn master clock, so I need my sequencers to not make assumptions on the external clock. Malekko's stuff, for instance, won't work for my use cases for that reason.)
mdoudoroff
Arneb, I have asked and will report back if I get a reply. Given both the swing and ratchet features, it seems like Dot either expects a fast clock that it divides down by some fixed amount (like 4), or it has a fixed multiplier inside. I suspect your (and my) preference would be the former, but to some folks that would be unintuitive.
mdoudoroff
Heard back from Kostya:

Quote:
Dot expect a usual 16 bit clock and multiply it when using ratchets. It calculates step length and make swing shifts according to it.
BTW thanx for posting and support on muffwiggler) really appreciate this. Would be so great if you remove word polyrhythm from post title, as i am trying to clear this fatal mistake from peoples mind, you know, like in 1984 novel)

Cheers, Kostya.

I didn’t quite follow his answer so I wrote back:

Quote:
I don’t know what a “16 bit clock” is in this context. I know that if I send a clock pulse to a simple counting module like a Doepfer clock divider (or Euclidean Circles for that matter) then it advances once per pulse. Is that what DOT does, or is DOT essentially a tap-tempo device that tries to sync up with a clock? Ultimately, the question is what happens if DOT receives a swung clock, or one that has fluctuating rate? I gather this could throw off the ratcheting, but would it throw off anything else?

And Kostya replied:

Quote:
DOT is following clock strictly. If a clock will fluctuate dot will fluctuate too in a same manner. Every ratchet is building according to a previous step length (time between two clock pulses) . So if previous step will be shorter then current - ratchet will be not precise and i guess swing too.

That’s pretty clear, I think!

(I did remove the “polyrhythm” from the thread title as asked, and it looks like he removed the term from the panel, but obviously there’s some history about that in the posts, so we’ll just move on from here.)
Arneb
That answers it, thanks a lot to both of you!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1