Fast digital modulation module for pitch or waveform?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

tyebillion
Learning to Wiggle

Fast digital modulation module for pitch or waveform?

Post by tyebillion » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37 pm

I was wondering if there are any specific digital modules that operate fast enough to create unusual sounds via pitch modulation, like found in classic arcade games, or would a digital VCO / LFO be the nearest thing?

I read about the Namco WSG, is there something similar to this in Eurorack format... a wavetable oscillator perhaps?

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Fast digital modulation module for pitch or waveform?

Post by synonymist » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:13 pm

tyebillion wrote:I was wondering if there are any specific digital modules that operate fast enough to create unusual sounds via pitch modulation, like found in classic arcade games, or would a digital VCO / LFO be the nearest thing?

I read about the Namco WSG, is there something similar to this in Eurorack format... a wavetable oscillator perhaps?
Hello. How about the Viznutcracker, sweet! app in Ornament and Crime?

Ref. https://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3/

"Viznutcracker, sweet!

This is a experimental implementation of several bytebeats signal generators. “bytebeats” are equations (actually, recursive functions), expressed usually as a single line of programme code, typically involving various bit-level operators, which when evaluated with an incrementing phase value at audio rates produce all manner of harsh digital noises, some of which sound musical, or at least, interesting. bytebeats were first described (http://countercomplex.blogspot.com/2011 ... ymphonies- from-one-line-of.html) in 2011 by viznut (aka Ville-Matias Heikkilä).

The output, if used as an audio signal, usually needs to be fairly heavily filtered through a low-pass filter to remove at least some of the unpleasant digital “screech” due to high-frequency aliasing and other effects which are characteristics of bytebeats. This digital aliasing is a fundamental characteristic of the way bytebeats work, and isn’t due to any hardware limitations of the o_C module."

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:17 am

tyebillion wrote:I was wondering if there are any specific digital modules that operate fast enough to create unusual sounds via pitch modulation, like found in classic arcade games, or would a digital VCO / LFO be the nearest thing?

yes. there are probably a lot of them. I think what you want is a digital VCO with FM done internally inside the VCO. therefor it would have to be a digital dual VCO. maybe a hertz Donut MKIII.

I also think a digitone would be good for this but that is not eurorack.

maybe a sid guts?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:09 am

Sid Guts Deluxe from ALM actually uses a real (or cloned) sound chip from the C64 to do some bonkers PWM stuff.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:56 am

there are plenty more chippy oscillators out there but my first thoughts are the NE ataraxic translatron, and the piston honda mk3 because one of its stock wave banks was generated from LFSR sequences which would probably serve you well as an FM carrier or modulator to its other oscillator.

tyebillion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tyebillion » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 am

synonymist wrote: Hello. How about the Viznutcracker, sweet! app in Ornament and Crime?
Will that work on the micro Ornament and Crime?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:55 am

MI Edges will get you a good 8bit sound

synonymist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synonymist » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 am

tyebillion wrote:
synonymist wrote: Hello. How about the Viznutcracker, sweet! app in Ornament and Crime?
Will that work on the micro Ornament and Crime?
The Viznutcracker, sweet! app should be part of an Ornament and Crime module of any size.

Whether that app will do what you were looking for, I don't know. Please tell us if you try it. :hihi:

Bachelard
Common Wiggler

Post by Bachelard » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 am

The Discontinuity thing in the Hertz Donut (I have the mk1) makes some pretty convincing 8-bit-ish sounds.

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Analog modules can do much of the same sounds, and many digital modules don't follow CV quickly, so its not as simple as analog vs digital.

Fast arpeggios are a big part of the sound so that you could get chords from just one or two "oscillators". That sequencing is easy to do even with something simple like a small sequencer, or analog clockable or addressable switch. Frequencies were not exactly correct so setting them by ear is good.
tyebillion wrote:I read about the Namco WSG, is there something similar to this in Eurorack format... a wavetable oscillator perhaps
That is of the very simple variety:
https://www.walkofmind.com/programming/pie/wsg3.htm
There are 3 quantisations (and their modular equivalent):
  • 32 steps in the waveform period (a long sequencer/switch positions, or a sampled waveform)
  • 16 steps to the waveform amplitude (a quantiser on the output, or a sampled waveform)
  • Sample rate 96kHz (s/h on the output)
You might not need to use all of the techniques to get the sound you want, one or two might be sufficient. Pitch modulation in these is from the CPU setting the controls rapidly but not so quickly it couldn't be heard, another s/h on the input would recreate that. FM was done on later more complex chips but they didn't always have modulation of the oscillators pitches.

Wavetable oscillators in eurorack almost exclusively describe morphing/addressable waveforms, they might have a few suitable waveforms in their collection. Loadable oscillators (wavetable or not) are less common but then you can take samples of the original sounds:
https://github.com/KristofferKarlAxelEk ... AKWF_vgame

Return to “Eurorack Modules”