MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Source of Uncertainty episode 6: Waveform Synthesizer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Source of Uncertainty episode 6: Waveform Synthesizer!
mutierend
Episode 6 of Source of Uncertainty is out! In this episode we explore one of the rarest Buchla modules, a replica of the Waveform Synthesizer Model 132. We then speak to Chip Flynn and Mark Milanovich about the recreation of the 132 (and many other modules), and their exciting M.E.M.S Project.

http://sourceofuncertainty.audio/podcast/episode-6-132-m-e-m-s/
ArguZ
Amazing to the the 132 coming back to live !!

Something technical, the link to MEMS is not working
http://sourceofuncertainty.audio/sourceofuncertainty/episode/memsproje ct.info
dksynth
ArguZ wrote:

MEMS PROJECT
Kent
Any chance of seeing a photo of the 132?
ModHiisi
Just googled it, here's a picture..:

http://fluxmonkey.com/historicBuchla/132-waveform.htm
shoegazer86

Here is the prototype that we spoke about in the show - this is the one that had traveled from Detroit to Buffalo where we finally got it working.

The first group of people to hear this outside of ourselves was a Compositions class at Wesleyan University, we had an oscilloscope set up so the students could see what it was doing.
shoegazer86
The website will be updated slowly with modules, some of them require quite a bit of documentation - we are also working out permissions on some photos so its something that will slow us down a bit.
mutierend
ArguZ wrote:

Fixed. The page is built by the Podbean feed and somehow the http:// got left off. smile
mgscheue
Best episode, yet! Really enjoyed it.
Great podcast!

Kent wrote:
Any chance of seeing a photo of the 132?

Around the two minute mark is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=0V0h9rhmv18&feature=em b_logo
Triglav
No wonder Don scrapped the 132, it really is nothing special.

Don Buchla wrote:
[…] You have a similar problem if you try to use a sequencer as an oscillator. If you build a sequencer that will run fast enough, you can listen to the stepped output directly rather than using it to control an oscillator, and by changing the height of the various steps you can change the waveshape. That sounds interesting in theory, but the first people who built sequencers that could run in the audio domain—and I guess I was probably the first, but I learned my lesson fast—found that all they were doing when they turned a knob was varying the amplitude of some dominant harmonic, practically independently of which knob they turned. The lesson there is that what we hear in the temporal domain we hear one way, but in the harmonic domain we hear in a different way. So we need to build devices whose design will vary depending on whether they're going to be asked to deal with form or with sound. This way, you can optimize modules for the particular area they're dealing with, rather than trying to make them serve two functions and compromise both, which is what generally happens.
shoegazer86
Triglav wrote:
No wonder Don scrapped the 132, it really is nothing special.

Don Buchla wrote:
[…] You have a similar problem if you try to use a sequencer as an oscillator. If you build a sequencer that will run fast enough, you can listen to the stepped output directly rather than using it to control an oscillator, and by changing the height of the various steps you can change the waveshape. That sounds interesting in theory, but the first people who built sequencers that could run in the audio domain—and I guess I was probably the first, but I learned my lesson fast—found that all they were doing when they turned a knob was varying the amplitude of some dominant harmonic, practically independently of which knob they turned. The lesson there is that what we hear in the temporal domain we hear one way, but in the harmonic domain we hear in a different way. So we need to build devices whose design will vary depending on whether they're going to be asked to deal with form or with sound. This way, you can optimize modules for the particular area they're dealing with, rather than trying to make them serve two functions and compromise both, which is what generally happens.

Yeah, this is the Keyboard Magazine article that Kyle mentions in the podcast. I think resolution was the downfall of the 132, limiting the partials to 32 was a wise foresight but without the ability to parametrically change the amplitude, it sounds too digital. The Waveform Synthesizer does exactly as it was designed, but Don must have liked it enough to build two and design a pcb based around it. I think based on the amount of messy kludge, he was trying to improve the quality of the waveform.

I try to take everything Don says in an interview with a slight grain of salt as he really didn't like them. Thing about the 60s, is that everything sounded warm and inviting, this sounded like a wavetable from the 1980s. Dons comment on "temporal" listening is a hint at the stepping apparent at each partial interval.
Triglav
shoegazer86 wrote:

Yeah, this is the Keyboard Magazine article that Kyle mentions in the podcast. I think resolution was the downfall of the 132, limiting the partials to 32 was a wise foresight but without the ability to parametrically change the amplitude, it sounds too digital. The Waveform Synthesizer does exactly as it was designed, but Don must have liked it enough to build two and design a pcb based around it. I think based on the amount of messy kludge, he was trying to improve the quality of the waveform.

I try to take everything Don says in an interview with a slight grain of salt as he really didn't like them. Thing about the 60s, is that everything sounded warm and inviting, this sounded like a wavetable from the 1980s. Dons comment on "temporal" listening is a hint at the stepping apparent at each partial interval.

The stepping is one thing, but to me the main problem seems to be with the interface. You have no way of knowing in advance if you're going to introduce more harmonics or less with any given knob. I find that drawing the waveform manually is usually disappointing. I wonder how the waveshape editor works on the 700.
shoegazer86
Triglav wrote:
shoegazer86 wrote:

The stepping is one thing, but to me the main problem seems to be with the interface. You have no way of knowing in advance if you're going to introduce more harmonics or less with any given knob. I find that drawing the waveform manually is usually disappointing. I wonder how the waveshape editor works on the 700.

That was already taken into consideration, the pulse output is to facilitate monitoring on a scope for proper visualization. A pulse fires out every 16th step, for an oscilloscope trigger input.
ArguZ
Maybe someone could talk to VPME.de about making a ZEROscope in h series..
That would ne very useful in general and especially useful in this particular case.
Kent
Thanks for putting in the effort with the videos and photo links and production.

SlayerBadger!
mutierend
Kent wrote:
Thanks for putting in the effort with the videos and photo links and production.

SlayerBadger!

Thanks for your support!
@green
I loved the sounds that happened when you started using the 123!
jimfowler
Great show! Really enjoyed it (as usual). Please keep it up.
Ossicle
shoegazer86 wrote:

something wonderful There must be at least 15 knobs on it, maybe even 20!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1