MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Upgrading My Modular (Feedback & Tips)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Upgrading My Modular (Feedback & Tips)
Steverido
Hey Guys,

I wanted to delve a bit deeper into my modular and buy a few more modules. I was thinking of the following which are on the bottom rack and to the right.

RYO VC Sequencer & Trigger
Snazzy FX Dronebank
Ladik LFO's

I only wanted to use my modular to sound design & sequence to then record into Ableton. I make Minimal Techno.

The modular is to provide leads, drones, pads & FX. I wanted to record the modulation of the leads as I record into Ableton.

My kicks & percs come from samples within Ableton.

Do you think that this is a good system for this? Would you add or take away anything?
Fastus
Hard to see the appeal of the Drone Bank - any good full featured oscillator should be able to generate good drones with good harmonics gen'd via FM, sync, AM etc. Maybe it seems like cheap polphony but looking at the manual, it seems like you can build a chord/interval etc but not transpose it.

For the money, you could be on the way to a versatile oscillator that's not so handicapped - something used if yer on a budget given the glut of modules out there: a Intellijel Shape Shifter or even Cyclebox - even an old Morphing Terrarium, cheap as chips - maybe a new E330, $200 for 3 modes wavetable/FM/clouds - maybe a used Piston Honda/Donut mki or mkii. Or maybe even a decent classic analog oscillator. Lot of great modules out there that have been updated, yet still have loads of character & potential.

Or just get a genuine polyphonic new oscillator for not much more money - https://www.perfectcircuit.com/qu-bit-electronix-chord-v2.html?gclid=E AIaIQobChMIwo_5nNeN5gIVr4VaBR182AOCEAQYAiABEgIqe_D_BwE
Steverido
Fastus wrote:
Hard to see the appeal of the Drone Bank - any good full featured oscillator should be able to generate good drones with good harmonics gen'd via FM, sync, AM etc. Maybe it seems like cheap polphony but looking at the manual, it seems like you can build a chord/interval etc but not transpose it.

For the money, you could be on the way to a versatile oscillator that's not so handicapped - something used if yer on a budget given the glut of modules out there: a Intellijel Shape Shifter or even Cyclebox - even an old Morphing Terrarium, cheap as chips - maybe a new E330, $200 for 3 modes wavetable/FM/clouds - maybe a used Piston Honda/Donut mki or mkii. Or maybe even a decent classic analog oscillator. Lot of great modules out there that have been updated, yet still have loads of character & potential.

Or just get a genuine polyphonic new oscillator for not much more money - https://www.perfectcircuit.com/qu-bit-electronix-chord-v2.html?gclid=E AIaIQobChMIwo_5nNeN5gIVr4VaBR182AOCEAQYAiABEgIqe_D_BwE

Thanks. I will look deeper into the Qu-bit and Intellijel modules. Do you think that the sequencers and modulation modules I have or intend to buy are suitable enough?
sir stony
I also wonder about your filters... No problem with Cinnamon, but three of the same and none other? I say you're missing a lot here. Maybe keep two (for stereo use) and drop one (sorry to you Bastl guys) to get one of these instead https://www.modulargrid.net/e/river-dendrites it will take your creative spectrum to a new level, and it can go very deep into techno territory, too. It needs a 5V supply, tho, which might cost you another twen.
Steverido
sir stony wrote:
I also wonder about your filters... No problem with Cinnamon, but three of the same and none other? I say you're missing a lot here. Maybe keep two (for stereo use) and drop one (sorry to you Bastl guys) to get one of these instead https://www.modulargrid.net/e/river-dendrites it will take your creative spectrum to a new level, and it can go very deep into techno territory, too. It needs a 5V supply, tho, which might cost you another twen.

You made a valid point there. I did wonder about my filters. That module looks insane.

Thank you.
Fastus
Steverido wrote:

Thanks. I will look deeper into the Qu-bit and Intellijel modules. Do you think that the sequencers and modulation modules I have or intend to buy are suitable enough?

You might get more mileage from a used Rene mk1, really cheap used because of the newer mkii release - Rene can generate cv (quantized and not) & rhythm - plus you can play pitches from the touchpads (which the Rene2 can't) The multiple snake patterns are great for generating melodic figures from various modes and scales that you can input, and it's a cinch to create rhythms by interactively silencing the gates of select steps. For something more techno you might look to a Intellijel Metropolis if you can get a good price - great rhythm generator with switchs, sliders for pitch - Mylar Melodies has an excellent vid on this.

But if you're really going to spend some money on modules, nothing can beat seeing them in person and trying them out for yourself. Looks like London might be a schlep for you, but it still might be worth it to visit an actual modular shop, talk to the people there and try some things out.
Steverido
Fastus wrote:
Steverido wrote:

You might get more mileage from a used Rene mk1, really cheap used because of the newer mkii release - Rene can generate cv (quantized and not) & rhythm - plus you can play pitches from the touchpads (which the Rene2 can't) The multiple snake patterns are great for generating melodic figures from various modes and scales that you can input, and it's a cinch to create rhythms by interactively silencing the gates of select steps. For something more techno you might look to a Intellijel Metropolis if you can get a good price - great rhythm generator with switchs, sliders for pitch - Mylar Melodies has an excellent vid on this.

But if you're really going to spend some money on modules, nothing can beat seeing them in person and trying them out for yourself. Looks like London might be a schlep for you, but it still might be worth it to visit an actual modular shop, talk to the people there and try some things out.

Thanks again. I will look at your recommendations. Never took the time to look at the Rene. It seemed strange concept to me when I looked at it a few years ago in London Modular. I do have a Beatstep Pro although that is being repaired under warranty.

There is Elevator Sound in Bristol which is only an hour away.

Food for thought.
Severed head
I have fallen into the habit of buying repeat modules and I think it can be hella useful for creating stuff in a situAtion were it allows you to intuitively get to a known sound in a drastically reduced timeframe, but also know that variety allows for variety.

so I can see the benefit of having 3 the same synthrotek module or 2 of the ladik. but honestly theres a range of similarly priced modules that are similar in functionality but have a sound palette of their own and that may be more beneficial than multiples of a module.

other than that, I think these threads are always kinda ?????,
I mean any group of modules can be used to make and group of sounds or style of music, If thats the way you want to use them,
I dont mean that as back handed,
Steverido
Severed head wrote:
I have fallen into the habit of buying repeat modules and I think it can be hella useful for creating stuff in a situAtion were it allows you to intuitively get to a known sound in a drastically reduced timeframe, but also know that variety allows for variety.

so I can see the benefit of having 3 the same synthrotek module or 2 of the ladik. but honestly theres a range of similarly priced modules that are similar in functionality but have a sound palette of their own and that may be more beneficial than multiples of a module.

other than that, I think these threads are always kinda ?????,
I mean any group of modules can be used to make and group of sounds or style of music, If thats the way you want to use them,
I dont mean that as back handed,

No offence taken. smile I understand your meaning about any modules could be used for a genre. I guess I didn't need to put my genre in there. But it does direct to the fact that Techno is about sounds being effected heavily to shape it or change it for what it originally was. But I guess Electronic music is similar in general.

Did you have any sugestions for modules that you like and which I could consider?
Joe_D
If you are going to add LFOs from Ladik, I would get two O-112 VCO5 oscillators instead, because they can be voltage controlled, and can be switched to be audio rate oscillators also (you can get the P-060 switch module if you have room in your rack, or if you don't have room, even mount two small rocker switches creatively on another non-rack-face portion of your case). There are some patches where a rock-steady LFO speed is great, but there are plenty of other patches where they can be deadly boring, and others yet when changing their speed via VC adds tremendously to your result.

The VCO5 doesn't have the sin outputs, but you can filter a triangle to sin-ish territory pretty easily (you even could do it passively outside your rack). The VCO5 doesn't have the inverted outputs either, but you could really use a utility module that attenuverts (I'm thinking FrapTools 321, which attenuverts, offsets, mixes, and serves as a DC voltage source, but there are other good choices, too).

Maybe it's just my personal bias, but you would open up a lot of possibilities if you added a chaotic/random/noise module or two.

And if you wanted to replace anything to add versatility, you could replace your Turing Machine with a uO_C (or even two; one running the original firmware, one running Hemispheres). That would give you the largest amount of versatility in a small rack (well, maybe outside of a Disting, but I find the O_C to be much easier to use and rarely have to consult a manual or help files, whereas with the Disting, there's a lot of poking around/remembering before I accomplish some tasks).
Steverido
Joe_D wrote:
If you are going to add LFOs from Ladik, I would get two O-112 VCO5 oscillators instead, because they can be voltage controlled, and can be switched to be audio rate oscillators also (you can get the P-060 switch module if you have room in your rack, or if you don't have room, even mount two small rocker switches creatively on another non-rack-face portion of your case). There are some patches where a rock-steady LFO speed is great, but there are plenty of other patches where they can be deadly boring, and others yet when changing their speed via VC adds tremendously to your result.

The VCO5 doesn't have the sin outputs, but you can filter a triangle to sin-ish territory pretty easily (you even could do it passively outside your rack). The VCO5 doesn't have the inverted outputs either, but you could really use a utility module that attenuverts (I'm thinking FrapTools 321, which attenuverts, offsets, mixes, and serves as a DC voltage source, but there are other good choices, too).

Maybe it's just my personal bias, but you would open up a lot of possibilities if you added a chaotic/random/noise module or two.

And if you wanted to replace anything to add versatility, you could replace your Turing Machine with a uO_C (or even two; one running the original firmware, one running Hemispheres). That would give you the largest amount of versatility in a small rack (well, maybe outside of a Disting, but I find the O_C to be much easier to use and rarely have to consult a manual or help files, whereas with the Disting, there's a lot of poking around/remembering before I accomplish some tasks).

Thanks for your help.

I actually do have two Disting 4's and left them out of this post for the reasons you have mentioned. Interesting points.

You mentioned chaotic /random /noise module. Could you give me a steer please?
Agawell
chaotic: nlc Sloth/Triple Sloth etc
random: Erica Swamp, Wogglebug etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1