help me figure out new power supply

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

help me figure out new power supply

Post by jjr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:29 am

hey all,
this is my rig. I want to replace the internal power supply with something external. Ideally a 4hp model and a power brick. The internal supply is just really heavy. Is there a 4hp-ish power option with enough juice to power this rig?
thanks!
jjr

Smurfs

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:28 am

Your power consumption is nearly 2A on the positive rail according to modular grid. I don't think you'll find a single 4hp module that can deliver that. Remember, you need a fair amount of overhead as well.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:44 am

Trogotronic has a 4hp option that could handle that I believe. Might require multiple power bricks though - not sure, as I don't have it myself. But I think you can get everything you need in one package from them:

https://trogotronic.com/product/m15/

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:49 am

I have a trogotronic system powering 12U and it works very well. However, the 4hp module is merely the interface, and there are two power bricks sitting in the back.

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: help me figure out new power supply

Post by Mungo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:59 pm

jjr wrote:hey all,
this is my rig. I want to replace the internal power supply with something external. Ideally a 4hp model and a power brick. The internal supply is just really heavy. Is there a 4hp-ish power option with enough juice to power this rig?
thanks!
jjr
As mentioned above a single power supply to power the whole case would be right up against the limits of the largest DC powered supplies.

Instead of using a power supply that takes up front panel space, you could use active bus boards or an internally mounted DC supply powered from an external brick. A single brick can supply more than one board/supply and have its socket fitted to the back/side of the case freeing up some more space for modules.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Tiptop Zeus studio bus board. The 15v DC single output brick is discontinued but you can get them direct from the vendor tiptop was using. Mouser sells them. Old laptop bricks with 5A will also work.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Tonescape
Common Wiggler

Post by Tonescape » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:21 am

Intellijel TPS80W has a 3000ma available on both 12v rails and 1500ma on 5v.

You can easily add a TPS30 mini if you need more power connectors.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”