MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which Sloth???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Which Sloth???
Scott M2
There's 6hp 1U open in my Intellijel case and I would like to buy my first Sloth module.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-1u-sloth-chaos

Nonlinearcircuits says "They are available in 3 variations, the same as on the triple Sloth panel; Torpor (15-20 second orbits), Apathy (1-3 minute orbits) and Inertia (15-20 minute orbits)."

I'd appreciate some opinions as to which variation people get the most use out of (and, if possible, why).

Ambient, Drone & Berlin musics are my main zones.
I'm imagining using it to modulate Clouds, Plaits, VCFs etc...
I have an Individual Wavebank Batumi for some random modulations but no chaos yet.
EATyourGUITAR
I thought there was one faster and even slower ones than what you posted. I don't think you will have a use for a 20 minute LFO when tracking a 4 minute song. with a live drone performance I think it would be good. I mean you could use a inertia in a 4 minute song but the way you use it totally changes. they are harder to setup because without a voltmeter or oscilloscope, you have no idea what voltage it is sending so you have no way to estimate if it will go up or down next. if you set the FM amount very low on the VCO and VCF in a rack, then you can get a patch that moves a little bit.
foliephonics
Just get rid of some other module and get a Triple Sloth hihi

Having said that, after listening to your Ephemeral Drone (which I like, by the way), I think the Inertia would make more immediate sense in relation to the music you do (15-20 minute orbits for a one-hour track makes sense). But you would get great mileage from the Apathy as well !
And then get the Triple Sloth ! lol

(I have a 2x84hp rack with a Triple Sloth, and its 11 outputs are often all taken up when I do day-long background soundscapes.)
Leverkusen
Mostly I use my chaos modulation attenuated for subtile changes all over the system and prefer several cycles within one single piece of music.

For just one cycle I think there would not be much effect of the chaos part and it would be just a slow LFO/envelope/slew because every chaos cycle is different.

Also with one cycle and higher effect depth it would feel more important to know/determine the start and end points. And it might be disturbing when you suddenly get one unexpected change within your piece, but only sometimes and maybe in the end or in the beginning.

Usually I mix different chaos signals, e.g. with the Splosh! and then I like one of them to be very slow - but again that being a chaos circuit seems more of a felt or conceptual need.

To me the hardest thing with chaos modulation is to adjust everything in a way that all possible voltages make sense at their destinations and it's still interesting if they do not occur at all.
Granny
get a super sloth from nlc (~15 min.)
and a diode chaos from zlob (~30 sec.)
Scott M2
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I looked up Splosh and Diode Chaos and am intrigued. Right now, though, I just have that 1U space for chaos. Next summer, I'll probably start a new case and surely more chaos will ensue...
Scott M2
foliephonics wrote:
Just get rid of some other module and get a Triple Sloth hihi

Having said that, after listening to your Ephemeral Drone (which I like, by the way), I think the Inertia would make more immediate sense in relation to the music you do (15-20 minute orbits for a one-hour track makes sense). But you would get great mileage from the Apathy as well !
And then get the Triple Sloth ! lol

(I have a 2x84hp rack with a Triple Sloth, and its 11 outputs are often all taken up when I do day-long background soundscapes.)


Thanks foliephonics, for checking out my music, and for your slothy experience and thoughts. It looks like a Triple Sloth will end up in my next case. I think I'll try the little Apathy right now, to get a feel for the intermediate chaos. If it feels too fast - errrr not slow enough, then I'll get an Inertia, and store the Apathy for the next case. Cheers!
Noodle Twister
I have built the 1U Torpor and Apathy sloths.

They are both very useful but I may prefer the apathy. However it's difficult to say why..

The truth is though having these really does make you want the triple sloth.

I also built the 1U difference rectifier and have the Signum pcb/panel to build.

The Signum will allow switching between the two sloths.

Diode chaos is another good module. Three different outputs a rate pot and a chaotic trigger out.
Scott M2
Noodle Twister wrote:
I have built the 1U Torpor and Apathy sloths.

They are both very useful but I may prefer the apathy. However it's difficult to say why..

The truth is though having these really does make you want the triple sloth.

I also built the 1U difference rectifier and have the Signum pcb/panel to build.

The Signum will allow switching between the two sloths.

Diode chaos is another good module. Three different outputs a rate pot and a chaotic trigger out.


Thanks for your insights. I've now put in my order for a 1U Apathy (which fits my open case space and is, no doubt, the entry drug of chaos)... but my eyes are now also open to the wiiiiide variety of chaotic offerings from Nonelinearcircuits! Diode Chaos also looks good.
vrfats
I have a triple sloth and tend to use the fastest one the most.
mosorensen
I also had a regular triple sloth and only used the fastest one. So I asked NLC if it was possible to make one with three fast sloths. Winner!

Andrew is super helpful. It didn't seem like a problem to mix and match the various sloths as needed (the middle sloth doesn't get a knob).
Scott M2
vrfats wrote:
I have a triple sloth and tend to use the fastest one the most.


Your track does sound like a Chaos Band!
Scott M2
mosorensen wrote:
I also had a regular triple sloth and only used the fastest one. So I asked NLC if it was possible to make one with three fast sloths. Winner!

Andrew is super helpful. It didn't seem like a problem to mix and match the various sloths as needed (the middle sloth doesn't get a knob).


Andrew has already shipped my 1U Apathy but between you and vrfats, I now have interest in the faster one too. A triple Sloth seems in my future once I can stop resisting a second case. Thanks folks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group