MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL Planning new speech module - Need help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author SSL Planning new speech module - Need help
dslocum
Since the Votrax SC-01 chips for the original Scat-Talker are no longer available, I'm planning a new module ("Jive-Talker" - almost identical) based on using a General Instruments SP-0256 AL2 chip.

For this, I'm planning a 1/4" TRS MIDI input in addition to the CV input, but I need help figuring out how to implement the MIDI.

The obvious thing is to control the 64 speech sounds by using Note-On data, but how should I control the pitch? CC values? Velocity? What would best lend itself to ease of programming in a DAW / MIDI sequencer?

Ideas welcome.
daveholiday
Doug,

Rare Waves out in Texas has a DIY little desktop kit based on this chip. They have pretty extensive MIDI implementation...perhaps a colaboration to bring this to 5u?

Adam
EPTC
daveholiday wrote:
Rare Waves out in Texas has a DIY little desktop kit based on this chip.

Ah, super cool of you to mention this, Adam - I'd never heard of it.

I really like the name, Midi Narrator, too. http://rarewaves.net/products/midi-narrator/

Fun that the chip is a little different than the Scat one:

Agree it might be a cool port. "Jive Talker", Bee Gees excluded, isn't my favorite SSL name for a module. (Though I love my "Scat Talker" a ton)
dslocum
EPTC wrote:
"Jive Talker", Bee Gees excluded, isn't my favorite SSL name for a module.

Curious why? Does it have some connotation that I'm not aware of?

The name came to me because the chip was made by GI (General Instruments), hence "GI"ve-Talker.
EPTC
dslocum wrote:
Curious why? Does it have some connotation that I'm not aware of?

Oh don't mind me - It's just my association with it belonging to black musicians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_jive_talk

I know Scat Talking is from the same vernacular, Jive just veers into other parlance. I'd be embarrassed if a black friend saw I had a module called Jive Talker.

dslocum wrote:
The name came to me because the chip was made by GI (General Instruments), hence "GI"ve-Talker.

Ha, I like G.I. Talker a lot! That's clever.
dslocum
Frankly, I don't see any harm in it. Seems it comes from a music related background, and I'm pretty sure you'd have found some white folks speaking jive when hanging around with black musicians. Black or white shouldn't really matter. If I were black, I don't think i'd be offended.

"I Speak Jive" - Airplane
EPTC
dslocum wrote:
If I were black, I don't think i'd be offended.

Comment of the year!

Doug, I adore you, and I love your work, too. You can call it The Jethro if you want. Just two additional links for clarity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuckin%27_and_jivin%27

and from programming USENET era:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jive_filter
DJFonzi
Couple of thoughts.

Can you just put 3.5mm MIDI? I mean... There's a lot of devices out there using 3.5MM MIDI, and you'd avoid any potentially dangerous patching while saving me the hassle of getting a 1/4" adapter.

I think you could just use pitchbend for the pitch. Give it an octave either way from a center note, maybe?

I think the name is just fine. I'm surprised you didn't get a "OK, boomer" thrown at you. seriously, i just don't get it

Also- What's wrong with Jethro?
EPTC
DJFonzi wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't get a "OK, boomer" thrown at you. seriously, i just don't get it

Ha! I'll be quiet. Didn't mean to distract. Happy to see a new Talker!
Prunesquallor
dslocum wrote:
Frankly, I don't see any harm in it... If I were black, I don't think i'd be offended.

d'oh! How would you ever know? You can't. What you just wrote was as ridiculous as it was insensitive, and quoting a movie from the last century is no defence.
josaka
internet PC warriors..

jive originated in Harlem but was pretty much worldwide by 1940.

like hip hop is now..
Prunesquallor
josaka wrote:
internet PC warriors..

jive originated in Harlem but was pretty much worldwide by 1940.

like hip hop is now..

Thanks, but that wasn't the point.
josaka
so what is your point..? somehow equating using the word jive with racism..?
Prunesquallor
josaka wrote:
so what is your point..? somehow equating using the word jive with racism..?

No, it was the 'whitesplaining' that got me. However, cultural appropriation is a hot button topic these days. It's not for (I believe) us white guys what is and is not OK. You'd have to check with members of the appropriate community.
dslocum
EPTC wrote:
dslocum wrote:
If I were black, I don't think i'd be offended.

Comment of the year!

Doug, I adore you, and I love your work, too. You can call it The Jethro if you want. Just two additional links for clarity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuckin%27_and_jivin%27

and from programming USENET era:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jive_filter

I kind of thought that might stir things up a bit, but I'm obviously a bit ignorant in such matters. Sorry if anyone's been offended.

Guess I'll need to be more PC and find a different name. Open to suggestions.
dslocum
DJFonzi wrote:

Can you just put 3.5mm MIDI? I mean... There's a lot of devices out there using 3.5MM MIDI, and you'd avoid any potentially dangerous patching while saving me the hassle of getting a 1/4" adapter.

I can do that.

DJFonzi wrote:
I think you could just use pitchbend for the pitch. Give it an octave either way from a center note, maybe?

I can do that too.

DJFonzi wrote:
I think the name is just fine. I'm surprised you didn't get a "OK, boomer" thrown at you. seriously, i just don't get it

That wouldn't bother me. I'm a big boy. Words are words. I'm not easily offended.

DJFonzi wrote:

Call the module "Jethro Tull"? OK, silly.
Prunesquallor
dslocum wrote:
Sorry if anyone's been offended.

Sorry if I snapped, Doug. The module sounds great. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
KSS
dslocum wrote:

Just use GIve-Talker. No issues. Sure, some will call their module gihve-talker, but that's no problem either.

Keeps the consistency with the SC chip module. All good. You say mooog, I say mohg. So what. w00t
Thorsday
Prunesquallor wrote:
dslocum wrote:
Frankly, I don't see any harm in it... If I were black, I don't think i'd be offended.

d'oh! How would you ever know? You can't. What you just wrote was as ridiculous as it was insensitive, and quoting a movie from the last century is no defence.

I can tell that you consume the most soy products of all those participating in this thread. Doug is a Boomer. Cut him some slack... Are you Millenial? Or Gen Z?
Prunesquallor
Thorsday wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:
dslocum wrote:

I can tell that you consume the most soy products of all those participating in this thread. Doug is a Boomer. Cut him some slack... Are you Millenial? Or Gen Z?

And I can tell that you haven't been taking your meds today. I'm 53. f u
dslocum
Ha ha! Good jibes!

Guys, let's keep this in good humor please.
DJFonzi
dslocum wrote:
DJFonzi wrote:

Call the module "Jethro Tull"? OK, silly.

Ha! I hadn't even thought of "Tull". I was just thinking of Jethro Bodine and my own dear, departed Tortoise named Jethro. I didn't understand why Ethan said "Use Jethro, for all I care" or whatever he said. I'm wondering what prompted that.
dslocum
IMHO (sometimes admittedly uneducated) ....

Jive is a language, like any other. But (some of) it came from black slavery days. That's fine. I see it as an attempt to keep the plantation owners from understanding what slaves were discussing. I get it.

I want to make sure we delineate the differences between race and language. I don't consider myself racist. I'm married to a wonderful Thai lady.

I have several Chinese, Lao, Indian, Mexican and God knows other nationalities as friends. We all get along. We all share wonderful discussions, cooking and recipes. Race is NEVER an issue.

But let's move forward please. Slavery is history in the distant past. It happened. It's NOT NOW. We are well BEYOND that people! Let's stop dwelling on it. Should we remove it from the history books? Should we burn ALL books?

What if we forgot about Hitler, the Nazis and the WW2 ? Would we be a better species? I don't think so. 'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

----

Part of that jive vernacular made it to the Jazz music scene and has been adopted in films and other media. I don't see the harm, given the history.

I'm keeping the module name "Jive-Talker" Damn it! hyper
EPTC
Yeah in retrospect I was being silly. Now look at this mess! Not my intention.

DJFonzi wrote:
I didn't understand why Ethan said "Use Jethro, for all I care" or whatever he said. I'm wondering what prompted that.

Jethro is just a polite term for other names, like Amos, etc. Personally I love "Jive Talker", btw, it's just an edge close to being a little comically insulting sounding. If that was the intent, of course, go for it. I say this having a fondness for Ass Blaster, Big Muff, etc.

I love offensive language, just wasn't sure Doug intended that. Clearly when you hear the thing it won't start making actual JIVE TALK (cue airplane reference) - that would be hilarious, though.

But since I opened up the bag of beans, How's this for a few:

Jethro Tullker! (couldn't resist)
SSL Motor Mouth
SSL Chatterbox
SSL Data Talker (nice and simple)
SSL Chip Talker (nice and descriptive)
G.I. Gibber
G.I. Gabber
and one for Jive Talker - why not, I'll flipflop! But yeah some might raise an eyebrow on it.
EPTC
dslocum wrote:
I'm keeping the module name "Jive-Talker" Damn it! hyper

Ha, Good! I appreciate your choice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2