MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

12 volt batteries as voltage stabilizer for modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 12 volt batteries as voltage stabilizer for modular?
Johnbomb
Is there a simple/affordable way to use batteries to create an uninterruptible power supply across the 12 volt lines of a modular system? I'm mainly interested in preventing damage from brownouts.

Thanks,
John
julian
Float voltage of the battery would be greater than 12.0 volts, so you would end up changing the chemistry over time.

Is there any reason why you don't want to just get some large caps?

And will brown outs really cause damage anyway? Your systems power supply should really protect any modules. If it does not, maybe think about getting a decent unit rather than whatever you have.
chuckg
it may sound rude, but why not just buy a UPS? all the work is done for you at a reasonable price.
Rob_C
Plug your synth into a voltage stabilizer (or automatic voltage regulator) to raise or lower the voltage as required. There are many consumer varieties, not that expensive.

Link-> What is a voltage stabilizer

Link->Tripp Lite Power Conditioners
jakobprogsch
I saw this post a few hours ago and still keep wondering how a brown out would even damage a modular? The circuits I can think of all wouldn't take damage from being undervolted or seeing excessive ripple from a starved regulator.
mskala
jakobprogsch wrote:
I saw this post a few hours ago and still keep wondering how a brown out would even damage a modular?

Remember that the module has to be undamaged at zero volts when it's powered off, at full voltage when it's powered on, and at every voltage in between at least briefly while it's being turned on or off. So the idea that low voltage could damage it does not come naturally.

Brownouts may be a problem for specific kinds of physical machinery like some electric motors that may tend to draw extra current under low-voltage conditions, but that's not the normal case for electronics like synths. You may see incorrect operation, but probably not damage that lasts after the power is back to normal.

And then there is the question of whether a module would even see a reduced voltage when the power supply does, at all. If it's a switching supply, quite likely not.
col
chuckg wrote:
it may sound rude, but why not just buy a UPS? all the work is done for you at a reasonable price.

+1

In theory a brown-out shouldn't do any damage but the problem is the surge of power when it comes back on.

A good quality computer UPS should have the smarts to deal with that but you will need to find a good one, some of the cheapo ones have awful modified waves. Not really designed for audio.
Johnbomb
Thanks everyone- very helpful. Sounds like a good surge protector might be the best option for me, as a brownout itself probably won't be harmful, but a post brownout surge might. I'm not too concerned about loosing power abruptly from a performance point of view- annoying, but not devastating.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1