MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Schippmann to end Eurorack production
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Schippmann to end Eurorack production
t0nmontana
From his website:

"Announcement:
After long considerations and arduously to and fro we came to the decision
to cease the development and the production of Eurorack modules.
To all our fans and always faithful customers we have to say: Sorry - It was a hard procedure to come to this discernment.
So, clear out the shelfs and take it. To alleviate your pain we've reduced our prices slightly by few percents."

Welp, I BLAME ALL OF YOU!
JayEm
who?
Jee
Nooooooooo!
Disaster :(
I will never get the full system from him ! I’m so sad such a talented creator is stopping his activity.
Worse thing is that apparently the dedigns of LFO and TG are done but won’t be released. Worse case scenario because i’ve Been waiting the last 2 years for these modules that were shortly announced to finally not come out.
I would love at least a final short production batch on preorders for his latest unreleased designs...
t0nmontana
Yah. I hate to say it but maybe eurorack just isn't the right fit. There doesn't seem to be much demand for high quality premium boutique products in euro. Only a few companies are doing it, Cwejman, ACL, GRP, a handful of others. Not that that's a bad thing, just hard for companies like that to compete with the small HP/low price tag model most of the other brands follow. I hope we get to see his designs again in the future, perhaps a return to desktop/rack form. I was definitely looking forward to the TG, LFO and VCA array, so hopefully they'll pop up later in some new incarnation.
Jaypee
So sorry to read that.

Hope to buy some future products from Carsten though...
mutedial
didn't he announce this last year as well?
urogijani
mutedial wrote:
Yeah I remember that too.
Portabella
mutedial wrote:

from his homepage, summer 2013:

Quote:
We are sorry, but after another four years we are forced to close our business.

Many THANKS again to all our fans and customers and for your trust allover the time!

The products we still have in stock are available until stock last. We will be available for you in support and service after the sale, furthermore.

Have a good time...

Sincerely, Carsten Schippmann (CEO)
synonymist
Portabella wrote:
mutedial wrote:

from his homepage, summer 2013:

Quote:
We are sorry, but after another four years we are forced to close our business.

Many THANKS again to all our fans and customers and for your trust allover the time!

The products we still have in stock are available until stock last. We will be available for you in support and service after the sale, furthermore.

Have a good time...

Sincerely, Carsten Schippmann (CEO)

Apparently Schippmann is using the Streisand playbook. Just look at the "Box-Office Benefits" numbers here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Barbra_Streisand_concert_tours_a nd_live_performances#The_2000s
Bobby
Sad loss. Carsten is a great designer. Hope he's not leaving the music game all together.
damase
damn. i was ready to pre order the tg and lfo as well just waiting on the word.
such a shame, his modules were the highest quality with good unique ideas behind them and a special sound
Chartreuse-J
Just to remind how awesome Shippmann products are here is a small peice that I made a long time ago when I first got the CS-8 Multimode Filter from him. Not super technical, but this was one of the first tracks I made with eurorack 5 years ago. Not great recording stuff either, I think I recorded this on a Yamaha Mixer straight from the rack.

Distortion was from the Trogotronic m/277, or I had the gain cranked. LOL.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/jason-m-9/sounds-from-sunday-night[/s]
EATyourGUITAR
I remember in 2013 there were rumors that he was reading muffs where people were trashing him over high prices and that this was some kind of reaction or retaliation. I don't know if that is true or not. all I know is that he made the highest quality stuff in eurorack. like on a whole other level of quality. no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him. all the stuff he made after that CS8 filter was the stuff that I think is really valuable. so is the ebb und flute he made before eurorack. prices were all over the place with the ebb und flute. it was $1400 then $2000 up and down up and down.
monads
Damn it. Why? Economies of scale??? Excellent designer and products!!!
waah waah waah waah waah
peripatitis
The brand never took off, I do not know why but it is also so evident in the second hand market. Selling a Schippmann module even at really low prices gets no interest and when I mean no interest I mean not a living soul.
I've been there many times, and I've seen fellow wigglers struggle with that as well.

I don't believe they had the best manufacturing quality, not that they were lacking but Rossum modules or Paul's modules are better build. Theirs and Cwejman's were a bit lower but the latter does offer life time guaranty.

Regardless you have to respect a man who came out with his own original designs, instead of rehashing technologies of the past. This is very rare amongst the designers of eurorack. And Schippmmann were the only brand I know taking money for a pre-order and delivering in time.

I
Jee
I am litterally destroyed cry cry cry
This is a huge pain for me and my expectations of a full schippmann modular (I might be the only one in the world to want that though).
I still want to hope that he will release TG and LFO, even if it is a very limited lot...
And I wonder what he will do next... hopefully still music stuff...
damase
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.

truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now Dead Banana
Jee
Same here!
Maybe CTG-VC could work but it's scarce and it's a nightmare to get cwejman products.
And anyway, I always preferred carsten's design over cwejman's.

@Carsten if you come here: please make a release of TG and LFO, even in very small batches.... 10 units maybe... you have at least 10 very solid customers just on this forum I'm sure you could sell them in such low quantity.
That would be great.
***very slim hope***
cowboyelectronics
peripatitis wrote:
The brand never took off, I do not know why but it is also so evident in the second hand market. Selling a Schippmann module even at really low prices gets no interest and when I mean no interest I mean not a living soul.
I've been there many times, and I've seen fellow wigglers struggle with that as well.

I don't believe they had the best manufacturing quality, not that they were lacking but Rossum modules or Paul's modules are better build. Theirs and Cwejman's were a bit lower but the latter does offer life time guaranty.

Regardless you have to respect a man who came out with his own original designs, instead of rehashing technologies of the past. This is very rare amongst the designers of eurorack. And Schippmmann were the only brand I know taking money for a pre-order and delivering in time.

I

i think that the panel design has a lot to do with how slowly these move on the second hand market. even at a steal price, with how many euro users are obsessed with the aesthetic of their instrument, i could understand why someone wouldnt want to put such an eyesore in their rack, no matter the price or how good or inspiring whats inside the module may be. visual appeal seems to be capable of making or breaking modules and their manufacturers. that and they dont quite have the instant recognizability or character of some of the more common euro brands (just my take. im sure there are those for whom the panel aesthetic appeals to profoundly)
damase
people think the schippmann panels are ugly? really im quite surprised. i think theyre quite nice and clear, they have the fantastic powder coating that so few makers use, and the ergonomics are always perfect
TemplarK
damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
.... no one was really asking or demanding gold plated stuff, extra shielding, super low noise floor but that was what he wanted to make. ironically, the filter that got him into eurorack was not my favorite filter, or my favorite thing from him.

truth right there. my schippmann modules seem impervious to power issues, and maintain a ridiculously low noise floor even with the crazy amount of gain they provide

im pretty crushed too, have never found *that* envelope generator that was perfect for me... and i was very confident based on my other schippmann experiences that the new TG was to be the one. i feel lost in the world of Egs now Dead Banana

Its not just the EG that matters though, its the combination of EG and VCA which give the end result, so to just chase one but be resigned with the original VCA's you had means it might actually be the VCA thats not right, just a thought.
damase
TemplarK wrote:
damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

Its not just the EG that matters though, its the combination of EG and VCA which give the end result, so to just chase one but be resigned with the original VCA's you had means it might actually be the VCA thats not right, just a thought.

i hear ya, but its definitely the EG that i cant be satisfied for years now(tbf vca also but i use lpg mostly for audio enveloping). so many specifics that are important... the range, the output voltage, the reset behavior, the ergonomics, 4stage vs 2 stage.. most imprortant in general how fast it takes to dial in the perfect spot...

do you have a recommendation? currently im using verbos, quadra has been my favorite, never tried the cwejman and there is very few reviews.
TemplarK
damase wrote:
TemplarK wrote:
damase wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

i hear ya, but its definitely the EG that i cant be satisfied for years now(tbf vca also but i use lpg mostly for audio enveloping). so many specifics that are important... the range, the output voltage, the reset behavior, the ergonomics, 4stage vs 2 stage.. most imprortant in general how fast it takes to dial in the perfect spot...

do you have a recommendation? currently im using verbos, quadra has been my favorite, never tried the cwejman and there is very few reviews.

I really like Maths I also find the Intellijel Dual ADSR pretty great its just got that really nice shape for basslines and drums, just a thing of beauty and finding the sweet spot is really easy. I've used only Cwejman AD and AHR on the BLD's they are really nice also.

I hear great things about L-1 and Cwejman a lot. I'd defo try the Intellijel Dual ADSR though its a score.
damase
thats good to know thanks for the input, unfortunately its important for me to have vc control that the intellijel adsr lacks. sorry to stray from the topic though as this is all because of how sad i am that i cant get the schippmann TG
suthnear
There was always going to be a very small market for such modules...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3