Polyend Anywhere - Users feedback

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Polyend Anywhere - Users feedback

Post by cackland » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 am

Hi All,

This thread is directed mainly at those who have the Polyend Anywhere power module.

Obviously this is dependent on the external power battery used, however I'm curious of those who have this module, how long their system lasts. How big is the system you have used it with, kind of modules used etc.

Polyend's website states: 20,000 mAh will power multiple modules for hours, however I would like to find out some real world stats from direct users.

Also, due to the 1A limit for +-12v, I would assume large systems can't be used, unless multiples of this module is used.

:)

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:32 am

I‘ve recently bought Anywhere and one of my first battery-powered skiffs is currently arranged in an old system 90 case, so 90 HP:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1058813
I‘d say, it runs at least for 8hrs with my 20.000mAh powerbank. I can find out the max time and report back soon.

One trivial but important thing to keep in mind is that I can‘t easily switch my rig between battery and AC power, because all modules are internally connected to Anywhere now. And it takes many hours to recharge my large powerbank once it‘s empty. I might want to get a second one.

I do also have an RAV USB power adaptor RP-UC07 I bought in 2016. It promises to deliver 2.4A per single USB output but the output is too weak for Anywhere to reliably run this rig even though it‘s just around 0.5A at +12v according to mg. Plaits did misbehave in first place. I need to find a better adaptor.

My powerbank outputs 3A, as recommended in the manual. I haven‘t measured the real outputs myself, I can only advice to go for a 3A powerbank. Be aware that most models including many of the latest ones with >25.000 mAh don‘t deliver that! High current is more important than peak capacity for Anywhere.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Ok great. Thanks for the feedback.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 am

piggybacking on the original posters question. I'd like to know if anyone who has a polyend anywhere module can comment on the "Powerbank requirement spreadsheet."

For instance does the 3.20A (under the minimum powerbank requirements) mean that the powerbank would need to be able to deliver a 3.2A/5V current from the output? Just curious because on polyend's site they recommend a powerbank that can deliver 2.4A/5v on the output.

got my answer from Polyend. Gotta make sure to keep that bottom left number under 2.4. So this module won't fit the bill for my portable rig. too bad :(

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Re: Polyend Anywhere - Users feedback

Post by Chaklack » Sat May 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi all - anyone have any feedback on how close you can get to 1A without issues?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Hi all - anyone have any feedback on how close you can get to 1A without issues?
As I explained above, it depends a lot on the continuous output current of the powerbank which can also vary. I would really recommend to stay low and safe and to avoid power hungry digital modules like a 1010 suite.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm

I got a 28000mah battery with 3.4a per USB port. Am hoping I'll be ok else the Nebulae 2 will need to get swapped out for something less power hungry.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:37 am

So - I wasn't able to find this in the skint manual or documentation: can I plug the anywhere to a USB wall plug/charger when I don't feel like using the battery that I installed internally in my case?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:37 am
So - I wasn't able to find this in the skint manual or documentation: can I plug the anywhere to a USB wall plug/charger when I don't feel like using the battery that I installed internally in my case?
Yes, as long as the USB charger is powerful enough.

Mine isn‘t btw. :doh:

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm

dbeats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm
Chaklack wrote:

Thanks for that and sorry about your charger!!! LOL

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 pm

-12V stopped working on my Anywhere 😑

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:26 pm

desolationjones wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 pm
-12V stopped working on my Anywhere 😑
Message Polyend support. I just got my Anywhere last week and the flying bus strip that came with it was faulty. They got back to me super fast. Have you double checked and made sure your power brick is compatible? Also, maybe try disconnecting Anywhere from the bus strip, and then powering it up with the power brick all by itself and see if the -12v is still shot.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 am

Chaklack wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm
dbeats wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm
Chaklack wrote:
Thanks for that and sorry about your charger!!! LOL
:doh: :doh:
Update: It wasn't my USB charger, it was my USB cable! With a wall plug you obviously want longer USB cables than the short 40cm one provided with the Anywhere. My choice was a genuine 1.6m Elektron USB cable which looked cool. Not a good idea. My current lunchbox rack has a very moderate power consumption of 515 mA +12V | 194 mA -12V | 70 mA 5V according to mg, but when powered through the longer USB cable my rack has major malfunctions, starting with MI Plaits. Surprising. So it's important to stick with the original USB cable or other high quality thick cables.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Based on previous posters story I hunted down the original USB cable and my -12V problem seems to disappear. I had tried four other cables! The OG one must be superconducting.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Yeah, I ordered a new longer one today, copper and gold blablabla, will try out tomorrow.

gerlado
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gerlado » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:18 am

dbeats wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Yeah, I ordered a new longer one today, copper and gold blablabla, will try out tomorrow.
Curious to know how this worked out for you

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am

gerlado wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:18 am
dbeats wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Curious to know how this worked out for you
Vacation delay - sorry. The new 1.5m USB cable works fine indeed, worth the 10 euros. It's this one btw:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00P0F ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Eurorack Modules”