MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some advice for my first rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Some advice for my first rack
Derkdigg1er
Hey guys building my first case and would really appreciate some feedback on this setup. I’m looking to make some sequenced space/ocean/drone type music if that makes sense. So far I have put this together in modular grid. I’m really looking for advice on modules that you guys wish you would have got for a first rack like utilities and the not so sexy or fun modules. There’s tons of info on fun stuff but really hard to determine in your first rack if you’d need like a multiplier or attenuators for example. So far in the rack I’m posting I own the Outs, A-138s mixer, Maths, Black wavetable vco, Joranalogue filter 8, Quad vca, Zadar quad eg and Black hole dsp2. Sorry if this is not the spot for this post let me know and I’ll post elsewhere. Thanks guys!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1054106
Fastus
wouldn't mind playing that system
electricanada
Don’t buy that much stuff at once. Start with two or three modules, learn them, add slowly.
Agawell
I'd want fewer modulation sources and more utilities - the dull polish that make the shiny modules shine brighter

and agree with the go slowly

probably I'd add a sequential switch and the disting next though
coolshirtdotjpg
Would replace one of the envelope gens with a modulation source like Just Friends.
Derkdigg1er
Agawell wrote:
I'd want fewer modulation sources and more utilities - the dull polish that make the shiny modules shine brighter

and agree with the go slowly

probably I'd add a sequential switch and the disting next though

Agreed I plan on working with what I got for awhile.I at least wanted some Of the basics to start with which I posted that I have. This was just a rough idea of the rest but who knows where I’ll want to go after learning the modules I got. It’s really the utilities stuff that kinda confuses me. I guess really learning this stuff through experimentation and time will tell me what kind of stuff I’d need.
EATyourGUITAR
Derkdigg1er wrote:
in your first rack if you’d need like a multiplier or attenuators for example.

I believe you wanted to say multiple. the only multiplier I know of in eurorack is a four quadrant multiplier. another name for four quadrant multiplier is ring modulation or ring mod. this is like a VCA but the difference is that a VCA performs half wave rectification before multiplication. this is why it only works with positive control voltages at the CV input of a VCA. a VCA is a two quadrant multiplier but no one actually calls it by that name.
Derkdigg1er
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Derkdigg1er wrote:
in your first rack if you’d need like a multiplier or attenuators for example.

I believe you wanted to say multiple. the only multiplier I know of in eurorack is a four quadrant multiplier. another name for four quadrant multiplier is ring modulation or ring mod. this is like a VCA but the difference is that a VCA performs half wave rectification before multiplication. this is why it only works with positive control voltages at the CV input of a VCA. a VCA is a two quadrant multiplier but no one actually calls it by that name.

Yes that’s what I meant.
adaris
Derkdigg1er wrote:
I guess really learning this stuff through experimentation and time will tell me what kind of stuff I’d need.

Exactly. You'll have an idea soon enough of what kind of utilities you might need because you'll want to try something and you'll realize that you can't manage it easily or at all with what you currently have, or that it would require tying up modules that you would rather use for something else.
nios
You may not need the Outs at all, if you have any external mixer than that'll probably work fine coming out of your final stage (likely black hole or quad VCA). If needed just use a pair of cables that are 1/8th on one end and 1/4 on the other. The A-138 and SISM together also seem like overkill for a system with three sound sources, one of which is primarily drum.

Someone suggested Just Friends earlier, which could possibly replace Octasource and can also be an oscillator. MI Tides V2 is also somewhat similar in potential and also is a really fine osc.

As for the devoted oscs, there are of course other options. The Erica Graphic VCO is in essence the big brother to the Black Wavetable (released later) and can do far more. There's also the IME Piston Honda mkIII which is slightly bigger than the Graphic VCO and has some pros/cons - a true double-osc wavetable, uploadable waveforms, and the factory default sound is very different than GVCO (aggressive/harmonic, more than a little like a Prophet VS to me, vs GVCO being kitchen-sink) but it doesn't have the folder/wrap/crush/drum mode functions.

BIA is a fine module, but do check out Manis Iteritas as well before getting it in case you happen to like its wider sound palette.

The STO is fine, but for an analog VCO of that size the Instruo Ts-L is far more advanced I think and even shaves off 2hp.

For filters, Filter8 is fine but a few like Make Noise QPAS or SSF Stereo Dipole can also add stereo depth to the sound as well which is not something your system really has covered. Also for versatility in that size you may want to also audition Xaoc Belgrad.
Longjonlebon
Nice rack! Mults and lfos would be my suggestions. Even just distributing clock around this would take a few more mults than you have...unless you use stackable cables or other solutions.
Derkdigg1er
Pretty crazy how I think I had a grasp of what I would want or need but now I have a few modules and it’s like I have no idea what I’m doing........ I’ve been researching for months and put hours upon hours into it and now I have some stuff to play with in front of me and I’m like what?? Lol pretty humbling and makes me even more obsessed with figuring this stuff out. Like I said I have the modules I posted above in the text not what’s posted on modular grid. What I want to get going is some randomized kind of ambience going. I’m just kind of lost if I need a clock source for that or something like marbles or a sequencer. Any help would be appreciated sorry for the ignorance. I promise been doing a ton of research haha.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1