MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2HP Bell and Pluck vs Rings
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 2HP Bell and Pluck vs Rings
r05c03
How far would these two modules go in replacing an MI Rings Module? I mean, I know there would not be the alternate modes, but in general would they compare?
starthief
Pluck and Bell are a poor substitute for Rings IMHO, unless you're planning to use Rings in the most basic, least interesting way possible.

Rings has 4 parameters to work with per mode, an audio input, an FM input, and is stereo.
Phitar
starthief wrote:
Pluck and Bell are a poor substitute for Rings IMHO, unless you're planning to use Rings in the most basic, least interesting way possible.

Agree! Pluck sounds nice WiTH Rings but is no replacement for it. My 2 pennies.
mrhooks
They sound great, and Bell has 6-voice polyphony, but they are much more limited. Unless you need the most voices in the least amount of HP, stick with Rings.

One nice thing about them though, is that they require a trigger to go to a new string/bell/whatever, while Rings only requires a change in the 1V/oct signal. I need to test if a dummy cable plugged into Rings' Strum input will prevent that from happening.
Blairio
The 2HP stuff is great if you need a certain function and are down to your last 2HP here and there. However, unless you are really short of rack real estate I would always choose the 'full size' module over the 2HP equivalent - and I say this as the owner of several 2HP modules: ARP, VCO, ADSR, HATS.

Here in the UK, Pluck and Bell together would cost around 250 GBP.

MI Rings can be had new from 215 GBP.

MI Plaits (which covers the Bell and Pluck stuff and a whole lot more) can be had new from 170 GBP.

Both Rings and Plaits are powerful and flexible, robust, ergonomically well thought out, and great value.

In order to stop 'finger cramp' I ended up sticking 1HP blanks either side of my 2HP modules. I think ARP and HATS are both brilliant in terms of their functionality, but their small form factor soon lost its shine.
r05c03
Thanks, this helps!
goldi
I got a pluck as a poor mans rings (for the ghetto section of my rack) but I keep patching rings instead. I can’t get the same beauty out of it.
BenA718
Pluck sounds great, but is a royal pain to tune! The knob is tiny, and very sensitive. I eventually gave up and use a quantizer after it when I do use it... For a low plucked drone or percussive element I quite like it, but as my modular gets bigger I find myself using Pluck less and less.
bkbirge
Any of these bell modules able to do giant church bells and/or gong type of sounds? So far I've heard mostly pretty high pitches and cowbells, which I like but what I'd really go bonkers for is some bells to call up Cthulhu from the depths. I've got Plonk and it won't do it. I used to have Delptronics' Cowbell which is awesome but wouldn't do it either. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2hp bell but kind of tired of gambling.
ggillon
bkbirge wrote:
Any of these bell modules able to do giant church bells and/or gong type of sounds? So far I've heard mostly pretty high pitches and cowbells, which I like but what I'd really go bonkers for is some bells to call up Cthulhu from the depths. I've got Plonk and it won't do it. I used to have Delptronics' Cowbell which is awesome but wouldn't do it either. I almost pulled the trigger on the 2hp bell but kind of tired of gambling.

I don't have it but check WMD crucible for gong type sounds
joem
BenA718 wrote:
Pluck sounds great, but is a royal pain to tune! The knob is tiny, and very sensitive. I eventually gave up and use a quantizer after it when I do use it... For a low plucked drone or percussive element I quite like it, but as my modular gets bigger I find myself using Pluck less and less.

Do you mean you use a quantizer before it (not after)? Or are you talking about quantizing the recording in your DAW (like an autotune kind of thing)?
bkbirge
ggillon wrote:
bkbirge wrote:

That sounds like a great module, love the cymbal sounds. I don't hear deep bells though.
ckwjr
I have 2 plucks that I use a lot just because I like the sound. And yes, they're difficult to tune and to tune with each other. I like them anyway, but that's just me. It's a very fair point. I have other modules I like that are equally difficult to tune. I also agree it's not a Rings substitute.
mrhooks
bkbirge wrote:
Any of these bell modules able to do giant church bells and/or gong type of sounds?

When you say gong, I assume you mean a Chinese chau gong / tam-tam? Not a bossed/pitched gong?

Thus far I've relied on samples for church bells/carillon sounds. There's a YouTube video where someone who goes by DreamsOfWires managed to get something somewhat close on a Korg Monologue, but unfortunately he never reveals his patches. It's at the 0:54 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KaiemiDrTY

But at least it gives me hope that I can figure it out someday.

For some reason, I keep thinking once I saw a modular patch as well, but I can't find it.
ggillon
bkbirge wrote:
ggillon wrote:
bkbirge wrote:

That sounds like a great module, love the cymbal sounds. I don't hear deep bells though.

I admit it was based on the description from the site:

Quote:
Cymbals, gongs, bells, and sheet metal are the territory of Crucible.

Have you ever wanted to start with the smallest cowbell, and then CV it until it becomes a gong larger than the room you're standing in? Crucible makes this possible.

and I agree that in the video demos it's mostly cymbals but based on the in-depth demo it seems capable of a huge sound palette. I wish I could find some proper gong sounds but in the vid it's more crazy gong sounds, using the input jack instead of triggers

IMHO it shows that this module can do quite a huge palette of sounds. Certainly more than the 2HP counterparts, which sound really nice but are quite limiting (but for 2 hp that's not a valid complaint).

Also it seems Crucible can work a bit like Rings with its exciters and sound input so I guess you might achieve similar sounds
Longjonlebon
I have rings and love it, but am considering getting pluck too. Although it has far fewer features, it seems to make really nice drones, and has the potential for droning polyphony.

Although I’ve not used it, from watching demo vids I’d say pluck and bells won’t come close to the range of tones and timbres available with rings...but maybe worth some love still...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1