MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a modern FM with good midi implementation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Looking for a modern FM with good midi implementation
nateflanigan
I've been messing around with modulating parameters on my tx802 with MAX using sysex messages. I can get some cool stuff going, like a sample and hold type patch that modulates the algorithm as a rhythmic midi pattern plays. But there's just a lot of limitations to the hardware. I was wondering what else is out there, FM or additive for glitchy digital weirdness that has robust midi implementation. It'd be a lot easy to set up MAX patches that tweak stuff with regular CC messages.

Thanks!
RhythmDroid

Pugilistas
Don't think there's much modern FM with deep midi CC. Most new versions have some sorta stumbling blocks somewhere in their implementation.

Otherwise, FS1r, or even an old TG77. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a new FM module based on the FM engine in their workstations.
anselmi
RhythmDroid wrote:

Yeah, this 2 would work but I think that for what you want the Digitone is hard to beat

Its FM implementation is not as traditional as in the old DX machines but I think it have a great balance between some stuff it lacks and some others that are unique in an FM synth. It´s a more modern feature set for sure and it also have a filter, FX, widely assignable LFOs and a powerful sequencer

Everything is CC controllable so you can get a lot of glitch stuff using MAX to control it, but since the internal LFOs are also very capable and the sequencer can p-lock everything, I think you can cover a lot just with the Digitone alone.

The Nord Modular series (both G1 and G2, and even the micromodular) have a much more customizable FM implementation, with the G2 more close to the classic DX approach, but you have to program much more, have to use a computer editor, and in the case of the Engine, you have a blind synth with zero onboard direct access

I think the Digitone is the only true modern FM synth that you need
gminorcoles
Kurzweil pc4 loads any dx7 sysex and has excellent Midi implementation
nateflanigan
Thanks! I've been looking at the digitone, I have a digitakt so I'm familiar with elektron workflow, so that might be the most logical choice.

The nord modulars have always seemed like the greatest thing ever, but I'm put off by the legacy issues with the editor.

Quote:

I love Kurzweils, can the Pc3k load dx7 data? Sweetwater has them for a pretty good deal right now.
chaocrator
PreenFM2.
many parameters are controllable via CC, and all parameters via NRPN.
also, (limited) compatibility with DX7 patches.
gminorcoles
nateflanigan wrote:
Thanks! I've been looking at the digitone, I have a digitakt so I'm familiar with elektron workflow, so that might be the most logical choice.

The nord modulars have always seemed like the greatest thing ever, but I'm put off by the legacy issues with the editor.

Quote:

I love Kurzweils, can the Pc3k load dx7 data? Sweetwater has them for a pretty good deal right now.

Yes I am loading tons of dx7 sysex patches and then mixing them with other kurzweil aynth dsp blocks
NotHerbert
gminorcoles wrote:
Yes I am loading tons of dx7 sysex patches and then mixing them with other kurzweil aynth dsp blocks

You're talking about the PC4, right? I'm pretty sure the PC3K doesn't have the FM engine.
NotHerbert
nateflanigan wrote:

An easy solution is to go on ebay and get an old Windows XP laptop. They go for around $100 these days, and run the G2 editor just fine.
RhythmDroid
I'm running my G2 Editor software on my Intel i7 mac laptop running 10.11.6.
No crashes, no glitches. Loving it. I'm using the G2 Engine, and as Anselmi said...deeper FM implementation, but it's up to you to build and assign controls to.

I had a Preen FM2 and honestly, I was disappointed. For the size, it's great...but, at least MY version, didn't support operator feedback in any algorithms...which is part of many DX7 patches. Oops. I was so ready to hear my beloved favorite patch HARP2 and recall my childhood listening to the Les Miserables cassette. Dead Banana think again.
anselmi
NotHerbert wrote:
nateflanigan wrote:

An easy solution is to go on ebay and get an old Windows XP laptop. They go for around $100 these days, and run the G2 editor just fine.

I remember a Java editor for the G1 that works in a 2018 PC, so maybe there is something similar for the G2
dogoftears
i would say the answer to this question begins and ends with the digitone.
but as long as you're already using a computer, why not just plug your max midi into a softsynth like operator or FM7?
computer controlled
Yamaha MODX synths are their current version of FM synthesis. I also use Arturia's DX7v which is dead on to the DX7. Full MIDI.
jdaddyaz
The Digitone is one of my favorite synths. It's crazy because I didnt really like the sound at first, but it very quickly grew on me as I started to make tweaks. As you already know, not much beats the sequencing capabilities, and for me, Overbridge works well with Daws. It also offers the option to input external sounds which have their own fx channel. Fantastic little synth that can be found for $600 shipped.
Blairio
Yamaha Reface DX. It is 'only' 4 operator, but waveforms can be varied from square through to saw, plus it has variable feedback.

<edit> .. and via the The Reface DX Legacy Project it can play all the 4 op Yamaha FM synth patches:

refacedx.martintarenskeen.nl
nateflanigan
Wow, I just listened to some fsr1 demos, holy shit. That thing sounds awesome.

Quote:

That sounds pretty dreamy, I looked at the krz site and the pc3k doesn't have the fm engine. I don't really have the studio real estate for a full sized keyboard anyhow, I'd have to really re do everything.

Quote:

Yeah, I know, I have an old windows laptop that I use for stuff with a tascam MX2424 sometimes. Maybe it's different with the nord but it proably me, I just don't understand PCs very well and managing this old technology becomes another time suck.

Quote:
i would say the answer to this question begins and ends with the digitone.
but as long as you're already using a computer, why not just plug your max midi into a softsynth like operator or FM7?

Yeah, the digitone is probably the jam, I kinda knew this, but wanted to chat yall up and see what else was out there. As far as soft-synths, I dunno, I'm an idiot and I like hardware. When I open up the arturia folder on my pute, it's just option overload, I get lost in all the cool presets and never comit to anything. The thing I love about max is that, yes it can do anyting, but I can't do much of anything with it. I can usually hack together a patch that does one cool thing and literally nothing else, I'm feeble minded what can I say.

Quote:
The Digitone is one of my favorite synths. It's crazy because I didnt really like the sound at first, but it very quickly grew on me as I started to make tweaks. As you already know, not much beats the sequencing capabilities, and for me, Overbridge works well with Daws. It also offers the option to input external sounds which have their own fx channel. Fantastic little synth that can be found for $600 shipped.

That's encouraging, I like the sounds I've heard but I wouldn't say I'm super excited by them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1