MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

* Eurorack Addiction * Help! *
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author * Eurorack Addiction * Help! *
hackrobat
It started off with an innocent semi-modular a couple years ago, and I said that would be it for my synth hardware needs.

Last year I convinced myself I needed a tiny 12hp expansion for the semi-modular, and I promised myself that was all that I needed. A month later, I was buying a 84hp rack, and I swore that would be more then enough. Now it needs to be 126hp+...

I need to stop before I can't afford to buy anyone Christmas presents!

HELP!!!
mdoudoroff
You have my sympathies. For most of us, the pace slows eventually, but it can take years.

On the plus side, it’s still cheaper than a cocaine addiction.
cowboyelectronics
try another addiction to replace your current one. is your euro addiction taking the place of another obsession that you eventually lost interest in
Euro Trash Bazooka
Spend your online time wasted reading the board or watching YouTube videos of new modules making music and recording it.

I'm quite certain you won't miss much. That's pretty much my plan now after realising I filled almost 400HP of rack space in a year and a half. Now I need to make music instead of being a dumb consumer. Your rack should serve the interests of the music you make and not the opposite.
danishchairs
hackrobat wrote:
It started off with an innocent semi-modular a couple years ago, and I said that would be it for my synth hardware needs.

Last year I convinced myself I needed a tiny 12hp expansion for the semi-modular, and I promised myself that was all that I needed. A month later, I was buying a 84hp rack, and I swore that would be more then enough. Now it needs to be 126hp+...

HELP!!!

One idea is a “Helpful Post” regimen:

For every helpful post you make on Muffs, you get to earmark $10 in your synth bank account.

A “helpful post” is one for which at least one other person says “thank you.”

There are multiple potential benefits to this approach:
1) You keep responsibility for your own deeds.
2) You have a plan.
3) You have a community of practice (Muffs).
4) You get more connected to Muffs in a positive way.
5) Muffs becomes an even-more-helpful place.
Funch
hackrobat wrote:
It

HELP!!!
you don't have a problem. What you call "addiction" is actually benefiting your brain health. See 'brain plasticity' and how learning keeps you young and vibrant. In other words, its not an addiction in the classic sense of the word.
cackland
mdoudoroff wrote:
You have my sympathies. For most of us, the pace slows eventually, but it can take years.

On the plus side, it’s still cheaper than a cocaine addiction.

+1
mamonu
hackrobat wrote:

HELP!!!

Ha. "buying presents"

the innocence of pre-addiction pbear :(
rayultine
Am I vastly more productive with a modular synth than I was before? Yes.
Can I put together a rack on modulargrid that is so big, I run out of modules that I "need" to put in it? Yes.

Chain is broken.
ggillon
Send me your rack and I will gladly dispose of it for you, free of charge

Serious answer, I have two 6u cases because it's the most I'm willing to transport for jams.

They are full so if anything goes in, something goes out first. Works pretty well
soggybag
Sounds more like a habit. You should identify your triggers and redirect them to something more productive.

For example if reading forum posts triggers you to shop for gear. Make it a requirement to try and recreate the sounds of some piece of gear for an hour before shopping. This would give you a better understanding of whether you need the gear and what it does.

You could also make it a requirement to sell a module before buying a new one.
Neo
A really good way of slowing down is to hold off on any new purchases for a couple of months, in which time you might have lost interest. And you live in the US of A so it's not such a big deal to sell modules since the shipping is cheap. In that case how about this:

1 - wait 2 months before buying a new module
2 - buy it used
3 - if it doesn't live up to your wildest dreams then sell it

I was in the same situation until, after about 8 years of random accumulation, I finally realised that I could do most of what I want to do musically with a portable 6U modular. I guess it comes down to finally boiling down the essentials of what you're doing musically and focussing on that instead of "ooh shiny love "
Nutritional Zero
cowboyelectronics wrote:
try another addiction to replace your current one. is your euro addiction taking the place of another obsession that you eventually lost interest in

I got into eurorack right after I quit cocaine. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it eek!

Edit: I guess the only upside is you can’t sell your leftover cocaine on Reverb.com but anything by Mutable has always sold fast for me.

Also there is no such thing as leftover cocaine.
hackrobat
I wrote myself a note on my chalkboard a couple weeks ago - "No more hardware," and yet I still bought myself a couple goodies for Thanksgiving. There is never any cocaine left.. cry

Thank you for the thoughts fellow wigglers.
22tape
I'd sell my Eurorack and buy a single monster synth like Quantum or something, and a multitrack recorder and be done with it. More tunes less shoppy shoppy nanners
Jaypee
Pics or it didn't happen Mr. Green
megarat
Yeah, this is a tough one. There's something about this hobby that seems to ensnare obsessive personalities, like myself. Other than giving up the hobby altogether, I think the only true solution has to do with maintaining your discipline, and like @soggybag suggested, this likely involves determining the triggers that break your discipline, and then refactoring your life to avoid those triggers.

Myself, I found that Modular Grid is the big enabler. Even just keeping a window open so I can appraise my current "rack in progress" gives me a strong urge to spend. So I try to limit my exposure to MG during those stretches when I'm trying to avoid spending money.
medium Rob
It's too much fun. it's like building your own hot rod--it IS building a hot rod. It helps to limit yourself to a ceiling (size limit, etc.), and have a good idea of what you want to do. I've reached a point where the capability of my setup is well beyond my skill level / ability. There's always gonna be a way to improve your "workflow", but that's not going to improve your skills. I only started last year, and I got carried away, to the point where I have an 'overflow' case. It's embarrassing.

I don't want an ever-changing sculpture that plays itself- I built an instrument to be played ... shopping is easy (an easy distraction), especially if you have the funds (do you?), etc. ... the problem is that the research part of the process is intertwined with the 'looking' and learning from others, and trying things out. There's always gonna be a dope, *new* (to you) filter / oscillator / envelope generator / ________ out there. I've gotta quiet the part of me that wants to secure these new objects, or find some magical piece of the puzzle... it's already there. It's ready to fly
coolshirtdotjpg
My (unpopular) advice: don't be precious and sell things when they aren't clicking with you.

There seems to be this weird narrative people have about people being so dumb that they never spend the time to learn something before buying the newest and shiniest thing. I guess that's probably true for some people, but I think the fear of that ended up making me keep things that weren't helping me with my musical goals. I think there's a lot of tongue wagging about how "every module can be X, it's all about how you patch it" but, when it came down to it, it just meant my setup kept growing because I was keeping the stuff I wasn't using.

I bought a few modules new initially, but my approach evolved into buying DIY or used. If something isn't working for me, I get rid of it. What's great about that is, 95% of the time, I don't miss the things I've sold or traded. The one module I really missed, the mangrove, I bought again. Over the last year or two, I haven't expanded my euro set up at all, and this is with a 6U case that a friend gave me sitting around completely empty.

...just don't ask me about how many polys and rack mount samplers I've acquired smile

ps, getting a poly habit is great way to kick euro at first because they take up so much space that it seems like you're spending tons of money, even when it would translate to like 16HP of modular. The problem is when you discover that DSI synths are like polyphonic modular with patch memory...
uebl
I've got a 7U and lunchbox 3U and what helps me the most is making music with what I have. When I do this, I realize I've got more than enough to reach my musical goals. So why buy more? Time stretches in which you cannot sit down to make music but you're having access to muff/lines/modulargrid/youtube are dangerous, tho.
sci700
I continue to let myself buy eurorack because it prevents me from buyng expensive vintage synths, like "meh, I don't need a Synton Syrinx, I can patch that up on the modular" (probably not, but anyhow...).
insoul8
sci700 wrote:
I continue to let myself buy eurorack because it prevents me from buyng expensive vintage synths, like "meh, I don't need a Synton Syrinx, I can patch that up on the modular" (probably not, but anyhow...).

That's the one synth i want more than any other. that filter section is pretty amazing.
b9
I can relate. I have 2 6u travel cases and a skiff now after buying a mother 32 3 yrs ago. I haven't parted with a single thing yet but I get more results now with my skiff than all the other stuff put together. my best advice to a synth taught euro noob is to get the temps+o&c combo w/mutable stuff. I've been so completely absorbed with learning these modules that I haven't touched anything else for awhile. Just glad I found my happy place, for now. There are worse addictions out there, indeed.
Severed head
126 hp
A lot of people got 126hp of unused modules in the storage drawer.

Sounds like your problem isn’t a euro-addiction
But you need to work more hours to make more money. Or just concluded you just can’t afford the gear you don’t necessarily need just want.
Wjbratcher
I love my 15u mother 32 expansion

Totally worth it

:(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2