* Eurorack Addiction * Help! *

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:11 pm

So, another victim of the silicoid crisis.

It's not a disease, just an engrossing hobby. If it did not make you want to develop your studio, it wouldn't be much of a hobby, would it? As for expense, it's one of the more modest ones--there's a golf course down the road which cost $7,166.84 a day. Slip fees at the marina run $4,000 a year.

You will eventually make the transition from mostly buying modules to mostly playing them-- here are some tips to make that day come sooner and sooth the anxiety:

Make a budget. This should include total spending, monthly spending, and identify sources of the funding. (If it includes cutting back on something else, say switching to cheaper scotch, figure out exactly how much that will free up.

Design the instrument. Make a drawing of the projected case (to scale if possible) and work out where the modules will go. Note the hp of each module. Modulargrid is excellent if you are sticking to commercial modules, but if you roll your own there are other options.

Think in voices-- source, processor or filter, 2 vcas, and an envelope makes a voice. Add a variation such as a low pass gate. You need at least 4 voices for an interesting performance. (You will of course mix up the modules from each voice as you explore patches.)

When the voices are determined, include enough mixer capability to handle them all.

You've probably known from the beginning how you will play the beast-- consider how you will route control signals to the various modules-- this will determine the utilities you need to add. At the very least there will be buffered mults, attenuvertors, and more vcas.

I find the design process to be nearly as interesting as shopping for modules-- every instrument I have put together went through 5 or 6 versions. Double that for the ones that didn't get bought for one reason or another. (University funding is governed by the law of the jungle.)

A final tip: consider building some modules. Kits require zero electronics knowledge, just a few easily learned skills. Beyond that there are plenty of online courses that will teach you enough to build simple mixers and CV utilities. Kits and DIY are great money savers.
Books and tutorials at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

hackrobat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hackrobat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Being OCD - problem
Continuing to break my own limits!!
Instinct to deal-hunt online - problem

Muff Wiggler / Youtube - grey area

Positive - still have Christmas presents money left :cloud:
Positive - still have a couple friends
Positive - more intuitive + quick (for me) verses Reaktor blocks
Positive - badass sounds!

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm

There's nothing wrong with collecting mass amounts of modules without recording music with them.

Just like there's nothing wrong with someone collecting mass amounts of herbs and spices without ever using them to make a dish.

But at some point, like when our cabinets over flow with eight variants of dill salt or function generators, we should probably say to ourselves-- dude you don't need that much shit. Simplify and cook up something good :party:

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Using modular=fun
Reading Muff's=fun
Looking at modules you don't have and want=fun
Buying new modules=fun

What's the problem? Are you homeless with your modular? Did you car get repo'd? Just chill out and enjoy

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Re: * Eurorack Addiction * Help! *

Post by Arneb » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:32 am

hackrobat wrote:It started off with an innocent semi-modular a couple years ago, and I said that would be it for my synth hardware needs.

Last year I convinced myself I needed a tiny 12hp expansion for the semi-modular, and I promised myself that was all that I needed. A month later, I was buying a 84hp rack, and I swore that would be more then enough. Now it needs to be 126hp+...

I need to stop before I can't afford to buy anyone Christmas presents!

HELP!!!
You do realize that we're a bunch of enablers, right? :banana:

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:32 pm

I just wanted to be an astronaut.

Funch
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Funch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:59 pm

tokidoki wrote:I just wanted to be an astronaut.

exactly. I wanted to fly but can't handle the merry go round.,How else are you going to get lights, dials and switches on gear that does stuff.

Warmonger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Warmonger » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 am

Write down your goals and realize them. I recommend Trello for all kind of planning ;)

My eurorack journey ended quickly, as one year ago and a half I bought 0-Coast and didn't finish any track with it yet. So all my plans related to eurorack are postponed until I finish that, at least :p

In short: Don't buy new things until you use what you already have.

mister_wavey
Common Wiggler

Post by mister_wavey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 am

Warmonger wrote: My eurorack journey ended quickly, as one year ago and a half I bought 0-Coast and didn't finish any track with it yet. So all my plans related to eurorack are postponed until I finish that, at least :p

weirdo.

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am

Warmonger wrote:Write down your goals and realize them. I recommend Trello for all kind of planning ;)

My eurorack journey ended quickly, as one year ago and a half I bought 0-Coast and didn't finish any track with it yet. So all my plans related to eurorack are postponed until I finish that, at least :p

finished tracks... making music is so much more for me than sitting down and committing an arrangement to the medium of choice. All the bands I was into as a kid are entirely obscure and unknown now. Almost everything most people here record will be lost to the ether decades from now, forever. I cant imagine forgoing my personal exploration in the name of completion. But, much like every patch, everyone's different.

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:22 pm

I hear you.

But I'm the opposite-- I feel like I'm enhancing my personal exploration by finishing a piece. Creating arrangements and structure, and establishing intent with the push/pulls, builds/breaks and transitions are part of the musical adventure. Just noodling leaves me very unsatisfied.

hackrobat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hackrobat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:06 am

So the bad news is I bought ANOTHER module today, BUT there's LOTS of good news!! :)

-I haven't spent all of my money yet, and I did most of my Christmas shopping this morning! Yah!
-I set aside half a dozen modules that will be going up for adoption soon.
-A Modcan Quad LFO turned up on Reverb (omg my crush of the last year) and I wanted to click buy it now, but I said NO! I am very proud of myself..
-My modular is just about complete. Thank god!!!! Just need to skiff it and make sure the last couple modules in the mail are suitable (I'm 99% sure they are).
-I'm starting to find myself annoyed just thinking about Eurorack. This is a good sign, it means I can once again forget about the gear and instead make some music and annoy my neighbors.

Thank you Wigglers.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 am

Also, one thing to consider if you're looking to slow down and spread out your purchases, is to alternate "hardware" purchases with "skill upgrade" purchases. I don't know your level of musical ability or anything, but especially if you're not trained or haven't taken classes / lessons etc, in some ways the *best* module a person could buy could an online "intro to music theory" class, or a "composing 101" class, or even an intro to playing keys or finger-drumming class. Some sort of skill improvement thing, whether it's in-person lessons, a MOOC, a pre-set course from one of those online audio production workshops, etc.

So yeah, you might go module - class - module - class - module - class etc etc etc. Getting better at the skill / musical creation side of things can open up modules you already have in ways you might not even have imagined.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:03 am

You, my friend, have damn well succeeded! To infinity and beyond!!
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

naturligfunktion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 am

That looks like a fun place to space out :)

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 am

Can relate. 5 years and somewhere approaching 2500hp later I have slowed down a fair bit. Now instead of spending lots of time poring over new modules, I spend lots of time poring over custom mega-case options like Erik Needham's, because at present most of the modules aren't accessible, and I also want it to look nice and fit in with the rest of my apartment.

But when I put the headphones on and start patching, it's super relaxing and I forget whatever I was worried about. So totally worth it.
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

hackrobat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hackrobat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm

indigoid wrote:Can relate. 5 years and somewhere approaching 2500hp later I have slowed down a fair bit. Now instead of spending lots of time poring over new modules, I spend lots of time poring over custom mega-case options like Erik Needham's, because at present most of the modules aren't accessible, and I also want it to look nice and fit in with the rest of my apartment.

But when I put the headphones on and start patching, it's super relaxing and I forget whatever I was worried about. So totally worth it.
Making a eurorack have good accessibility and esthetics are super important!

8-)

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 pm

indigoid wrote:Can relate. 5 years and somewhere approaching 2500hp later I have slowed down a fair bit. Now instead of spending lots of time poring over new modules, I spend lots of time poring over custom mega-case options like Erik Needham's, because at present most of the modules aren't accessible, and I also want it to look nice and fit in with the rest of my apartment.

Out of curiosity, by "aren't accessible", do you mean they're too awkward to use because of a sprawling arrangement of cases or something, or that they are boxed up because you can't fit them? I've got a bit of both. I've started thinking about getting one monster case - maybe an ADDAC monster frame, or REALLY shelling out and getting something from someone like Needham. I feel like getting a custom case built requires a lot of commitment - better know for sure what you want, yeah? There's definitely a point where a bunch of smaller cases ceases to provide pleasing ergonomics and I've found that the proximity of certain modules to each other encourages me to use them creatively. More pondering is required on how to solve this.

I sometimes feel kinda crappy about the amount of money I've spent on this stuff, and this weird guilt because I am a turbo amateur dingus and actual useful musicians could do so much more with my 800+ hp (plus another hundred or two unracked). But it's just my brain being it's usual counterproductive bastard self. Fuck you brain, I'm gonna keep doing this shit because modular and music in general is the best thing to happen to me in like a decade. :nana:

I definitely do sometimes too much time here or on reverb or whatever engaging in expensive procrastination. Making music entails the risk of failure but buying modules is easy pleasy I guess.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:52 pm

I did the xmas shopping before I got any euro this year. I learned my lesson. Last year I spent it all on euro. It didn't end well. I ended up selling all my euro to pay bills.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Muff McMuff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muff McMuff » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 am

2500hp i can't even imagine what that looks like. Do you have any photos?

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 am

I don’t regret spending a single cent ~ related to music, music production, hardware, modular (14K in a year so far) or anything associated with music in general. Music is like. The real me. In this crazy world, a good price to pay to keep myself entertained and sane until the day I pass away or until something even more appealing emerges. Everytime I patch (everyday almost, 4-12 hours a day, for past 10 months if time allows) I learn something new. It lifts my spirit and shapes my mind in positive ways as well. I could see this being used in therapy to heal people.

I was never good at finishing tracks, modular makes me finish tracks. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. It’s a process. If I hit a wall during patching I turn my system off, pull cables and start again from blank state. I always loved to design my sounds from scratch and eurorack gets me there. It’s nicely interactive and sounds good when pushed to limits. Coming from mostly east coast, west coast blew my mind and I want to explore that side more. Now finally using max/msp with some vintage hw and my system together... fun. I have more modules than my current case can handle :despair: - designing and making a shelter for my module “babies” myself will be fun and I’ll learn something new. Like with DIY kits/builds.

After making the initial forward leap almost a year ago I usually spend about 300-400€ on eurorack/music a month, sometimes more. I’ll stop for 2-3 months and buy a jx3p now though. I don’t see any other area where my money could be better spent as of now. Which might change in the course of time as life is an ever evolving state of mind. I don’t need multiple pairs of shoes, vanity items, expensive cars, needy gf’s or “insert here”... the list could go to infinity.

My needs are - quiet and calm enviroment, sleep, food, shelter, juice + my hw, herb and good health.

I recovered from alcoholism which I’d consider to be a more expensive and also damaging “hobby” for people in long-term than investing in something that makes you grow and learn. Here in CZ going out for a night usually costed me about 80-100€ a pop x 4 / month. :-))

:love: :love:

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:15 am

SavageMessiah wrote: Out of curiosity, by "aren't accessible", do you mean they're too awkward to use because of a sprawling arrangement of cases or something, or that they are boxed up because you can't fit them?
Both. Too many small cases, too incoherent, too much stuff that simply doesn't fit anywhere. Also some modules that are unusually deep (Doepfer A-125 and A-154, in particular) and don't really fit in many places. I would NOT say "too much modular", though. Next week my Doepfer "monster base" + 12U monster case should arrive. I'm looking forward to experimenting with layout and having a lot more directly accessible.

Also I've been contemplating a patch idea that requires more VCOs than my main 14U system has. I get the constraints thing and enjoy my 3U skiff system a bunch, but... sometimes you really do need more modular to fully realize an idea. Maybe it will be worth it, maybe not, but the only other way to do it probably means a laptop and, well, fuck that.
mnchrme wrote:I recovered from alcoholism which I’d consider to be a more expensive and also damaging “hobby” for people
you're awesome and strong! you've done an amazing thing for yourself. May you always enjoy your synths :love:
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 am

Haha. You are awesome! Everyone is on this forum. It`s like an oasis in the desert you happen to find when you least expect it.

Here one Prague mood using Shapeshifter. Have a wonderful day! :love:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”