MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there an open source audio mixer and cv mixer schematic?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Is there an open source audio mixer and cv mixer schematic?
CoreInside
Is there an open source audio mixer and cv mixer eurorack schematic available anywhere? I know there are schematics around but I'm looking for something open source.

https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs/cgs04/cgs04_mix.html

I know there's this but it isn't open source.

other open source circuits i'm looking for are portamento with gate control of on/off and an audio input similar to the Doepfer A-119 External Input/Envelope Follower that can create an envelope from external audio input.

If there's nothing like this available, how much do you think it would cost for someone to design such circuits for eurorack?
nigel
What do you mean by (or why do you specify) open source, in the context of electrical schematics? Although there are some novel circuits used in synths, most modules use components in very standard ways. That mixer circuit is (as it says) quite conventional. Any "redesign" would be essentially identical. The same is almost certainly true of any portamento circuit, or a basic envelope follower.
adam
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/shades/downloads/shades_v30.pd f
Orgia Mode
nigel wrote:
What do you mean by (or why do you specify) open source, in the context of electrical schematics? Although there are some novel circuits used in synths, most modules use components in very standard ways. That mixer circuit is (as it says) quite conventional. Any "redesign" would be essentially identical. The same is almost certainly true of any portamento circuit, or a basic envelope follower.


Free to reproduce and sell maybe? Iv'e seen the term thrown around so wildly in so many different ways that I don't even know what it means anymore.
mskala
If the circuit is not patented, then it's legal for anyone to build and sell the circuit. Copyright restrictions on a schematic mean you aren't allowed to copy the schematic to sell copies of the schematic; copyright does not extend to placing restrictions on physically constructing circuits. That's not what people in this hobby believe, it's not what people wish would be true, and it's not the gentleman's agreement the Muffwiggler sticky thread tries to push, but it happens to be true.

Nonetheless, my transistor mixer design is released under a free software license (GPL) for whatever that is worth and probably meets most people's definitions of "open source." It's at https://northcoastsynthesis.com/products/msk-011-transistor-mixer.html  , linked in the "resources" section just above the audio demo. PDF file of build manual, schematics, etc., or download the source ZIP for stuff like the PCB design in machine-readable format.
Orgia Mode
mskala wrote:
If the circuit is not patented, then it's legal for anyone to build and sell the circuit. Copyright restrictions on a schematic mean you aren't allowed to copy the schematic to sell copies of the schematic; copyright does not extend to placing restrictions on physically constructing circuits. That's not what people in this hobby believe, it's not what people wish would be true, and it's not the gentleman's agreement the Muffwiggler sticky thread tries to push, but it happens to be true.

Nonetheless, my transistor mixer design is released under a free software license (GPL) for whatever that is worth and probably meets most people's definitions of "open source." It's at https://northcoastsynthesis.com/products/msk-011-transistor-mixer.html  , linked in the "resources" section just above the audio demo. PDF file of build manual, schematics, etc., or download the source ZIP for stuff like the PCB design in machine-readable format.


Thats a swell looking module. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Hey, can you tell me who cuts your faceplates?
mskala
Orgia Mode wrote:
EDIT: Hey, can you tell me who cuts your faceplates?


PMed.
joem
mskala wrote:
Nonetheless, my transistor mixer design is released under a free software license (GPL) for whatever that is worth and probably meets most people's definitions of "open source." It's at https://northcoastsynthesis.com/products/msk-011-transistor-mixer.html  , linked in the "resources" section just above the audio demo. PDF file of build manual, schematics, etc., or download the source ZIP for stuff like the PCB design in machine-readable format.


I just want to point out for anyone who doesn't already know, mskala's "build manuals" are really so much more. They're probably the most thorough documentation in all of eurorack, with in depth circuit explanations! Highly recommended reading.
Silesius
joem wrote:
I just want to point out for anyone who doesn't already know, mskala's "build manuals" are really so much more. They're probably the most thorough documentation in all of eurorack, with in depth circuit explanations! Highly recommended reading.


I totally agree.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group