MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me fill last 5hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help me fill last 5hp
Hazza26
Hey Wigglers

ZPO, Dipole and FH-2 on the way. Nearly there with the rack. Trying to work out what best to fill the last tiny gaps.

Things I need:
- more VCAs
- more attenuators (the MIA seems to get used up for mixing)
- perhaps another mixer (unity maybe)

Ok, the Plancks I don't yet have and is some way off. I have always wanted a Frames, but using one as a VCA would be silly and perhaps I'd be better off focusing on VCA count with something like a Tangle Quartet.

Otherwise I've been considering:
Takaab 2VCA, Pico VCA, 2hp VCA
Takaab 3AT, Patching Panda Flipanda & Petit Mix, 2hp Mix, Maleko Unity Mixer

I feel like Maths and Distings cover most of the other essential functions, but have I missed anything?

What would you choose if it were your rack?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1054212

circuitburst
You might want to consider the Erica Synths Pico DSP
kpreid
If you can get that 5 HP into one row, then look at Bastl Instruments modules. They have several modules that have interesting combinations of utilities normalled together.
nios
Possibly get two 2hp modules of whatever you need most? 6hp would have a ton of cool modules open, but 5 is pretty tough to work with besides Bastl and the Picos as already mentioned. A Pico module and a 2hp (or x2 2hp) probably would get you the most function/HP.

However if you didn't get one of those, really you'd be looking at some 4hp modules and a lot of the staples would have redundancy in that system - already got two Distings, rotating clock divider isn't super necessary with a Pam's, already got LPG so no LxD, etc. LRMSMSLR could possibly have some cool uses, but with a Stereo Dipole I'm not super certain you'd need or get to exploit it to the fullest.

There is however a high-quality 4hp sample player from Tiptop, which could provide a lot of novelty in that space. The Soundmachines LS1 also would fit, if you wanted some tactile CV control action - this also can loop to act as a sort of live/custom LFO.
Hazza26
circuitburst wrote:
You might want to consider the Erica Synths Pico DSP

Hadn't considered that since I do most of fx in the box, but just checked it out and it does have some cool algorithms.

kpreid wrote:
If you can get that 5 HP into one row, then look at Bastl Instruments modules. They have several modules that have interesting combinations of utilities normalled together.

Yeah I was looking at the Bastl Skiis, looks like a cool combo of VCA & Env.

noir wrote:
Possibly get two 2hp modules of whatever you need most? 6hp would have a ton of cool modules open, but 5 is pretty tough to work with besides Bastl and the Picos as already mentioned. A Pico module and a 2hp (or x2 2hp) probably would get you the most function/HP.

However if you didn't get one of those, really you'd be looking at some 4hp modules and a lot of the staples would have redundancy in that system - already got two Distings, rotating clock divider isn't super necessary with a Pam's, already got LPG so no LxD, etc. LRMSMSLR could possibly have some cool uses, but with a Stereo Dipole I'm not super certain you'd need or get to exploit it to the fullest.

There is however a high-quality 4hp sample player from Tiptop, which could provide a lot of novelty in that space. The Soundmachines LS1 also would fit, if you wanted some tactile CV control action - this also can loop to act as a sort of live/custom LFO.

Good to hear you also don't see any glaring omissions. Yeah 5hp is a nuisance. That Tiptop sounds cool.. I had hoped to get some granular in there but decided with space constraints I'd be better off keeping that ITB. Will check out the LS1. Thanks!

One question[/b] - I've only used my 2LPG as an LPG so far, can it be put to standard VCA use?
indigoid
2hp passive mult + 3hp dual attenuator/attenuverter or something. I haven't looked but I'm sure they exist

or... a 4hp module and a 1hp blank?
Hazza26
indigoid wrote:
2hp passive mult + 3hp dual attenuator/attenuverter or something. I haven't looked but I'm sure they exist

or... a 4hp module and a 1hp blank?

Between my MLT and a few Intellijel mult boxes I'm good on that front. Attenuator/attenuverter definitely on the list though.
rayultine
I second Skis. Or what about "micro"-ing one of your Mutable modules and getting a Lapsus Os?
autopoiesis
i'd go with a 1hp blank and a happy nerding dual xfade. only two channels, but could be used as 2 VCAs or attenuators, 2 crossfaders, or 2x 2-channel mixers or 1 4-channel mixer. and would be better ergonomically than squeezing two 2hp modules with mini-pots.
electricfence
Befaco A*B+C can be two VCAs, two ring mods, two channels of offset/attunversion, or a four-channel mixer in 5hp.

Also, Skis is pretty awesome.
electricfence
Well not, that's not right. A*B+C is 6hp. Sorry.
Hazza26
rayultine wrote:
I second Skis. Or what about "micro"-ing one of your Mutable modules and getting a Lapsus Os?

I had looked at the Lapsus Os before, cool module. Was looking into it as alternative to Plancks / Frames (although obvs very different). Hadn't thought of micro-ing my MI modules!

autopoiesis wrote:
i'd go with a 1hp blank and a happy nerding dual xfade. only two channels, but could be used as 2 VCAs or attenuators, 2 crossfaders, or 2x 2-channel mixers or 1 4-channel mixer. and would be better ergonomically than squeezing two 2hp modules with mini-pots.

Hadn't come across this, awesome. Super functional, and would look great next to my 3xMIA!

Sounds like I need to give Skis another good look too.
ersatzplanet
Do you do live shows? Do you use external gear that can be USB powered? You can use 4HP for Synthwerks LAMP-1 and LAMP-2 modules for lighting your rig on the gig, or 3HP for a LAMP-3 module that can light your rig or power external gear (depending on what your PS can handle). Very inexpensive too.
Hazza26
ersatzplanet wrote:
Do you do live shows? Do you use external gear that can be USB powered? You can use 4HP for Synthwerks LAMP-1 and LAMP-2 modules for lighting your rig on the gig, or 3HP for a LAMP-3 module that can light your rig or power external gear (depending on what your PS can handle). Very inexpensive too.

Thanks James, that's a cool idea. My iPad can be powered by the FH-2 (if I need) and although I could do with an overhead light I would prefer to use the valuable space for CV jiggery!
void23
Something fun from the Erica Pico series for the 3hp spot obviously. I really like the T>G for humanizing bass lines, especially if you're doing any sort of generative stuff. It does just what it says, converts triggers into gates and can randomize the length of those gates.

My favorite 2hp module is the Freez. Throw it a ton of modulation, a random gate, and a vocal-type sample from one of your Distings, and instant background texture for your patch or sequence.
noodlesoup
Depending on what you use for a case, you could cut it up and mount your power inputs on the side. What's that, 10hp more free?
rayultine
void23 wrote:
Something fun from the Erica Pico series for the 3hp spot obviously. I really like the T>G for humanizing bass lines, especially if you're doing any sort of generative stuff. It does just what it says, converts triggers into gates and can randomize the length of those gates.


yessss. T>G is one of those underrated modules that solves lots of "modular problems" that would require two or three different modules to remedy.
Foghorn
Hazza26 wrote:
I Hadn't thought of micro-ing my MI modules


If you have Clouds, Braids and Rings, the originals are starting to become valueable, at least for trading.

Well, if you are looking for a left nut in trade hmmm.....

Foghorn
ersatzplanet
Hazza26 wrote:
Thanks James, that's a cool idea. My iPad can be powered by the FH-2 (if I need) and although I could do with an overhead light I would prefer to use the valuable space for CV jiggery!


I understand. Be sure to calculate the current draw through the FH-2 and remember it will be pulling that off the +12V supply adding to all the other modules using +12V. The FH-2 manual has conversion info on the conversion rates:
"The FH-2's own regulator will provide the USB specification's theoretical maximum of 500mA. The regulator is about 83% efficient, which means that the current draw on the +12V rail is about half that drawn by the USB device. For example, if the USB device draws 100mA, the draw on the +12V rail would be about 50mA."

The iPad line varies a lot in current draw needs. The range for different models can be from 12Watts to over 30Watts (look at your charger to check for your module). That equates to around 2400mA to 6000mA. That would probably fry the FH-2's regulators. You may think about a powered hub between them.

The Row Power supply in your layout only gives 1A in +5V so a LAMP-3 module might not work for that either. iPads pull a lot of current.
Hazza26
void23 wrote:
Something fun from the Erica Pico series for the 3hp spot obviously. I really like the T>G for humanizing bass lines, especially if you're doing any sort of generative stuff. It does just what it says, converts triggers into gates and can randomize the length of those gates.
rayultine wrote:
yessss. T>G is one of those underrated modules that solves lots of "modular problems" that would require two or three different modules to remedy.

I haven't delved into the crazy random gate / logic thing yet, but I love the Richard Devine sci-fi robotic stuff so would be well up for exploring. I know my URA will come in handy, but of all my modules that's the hardest to get my head around. Is this the best option to help me towards that sound?

void23 wrote:
My favorite 2hp module is the Freez. Throw it a ton of modulation, a random gate, and a vocal-type sample from one of your Distings, and instant background texture for your patch or sequence.

This looks really fun, I love my granular so very tempted.

noodlesoup wrote:
Depending on what you use for a case, you could cut it up and mount your power inputs on the side. What's that, 10hp more free?

What a great idea! I've got one of the old self-build pre-cut plywood cases (can't remember name), so will definitely consider that in future.

Foghorn wrote:
If you have Clouds, Braids and Rings, the originals are starting to become valueable, at least for trading.

This I didn't know.. I think my MI modules would be first to go when I reach capacity.. give me a few months smile

ersatzplanet wrote:
I understand. Be sure to calculate the current draw through the FH-2 and remember it will be pulling that off the +12V supply adding to all the other modules using +12V.

Yep thanks for the heads up, will get onto the maths.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group