MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting v. Morphagene as a granular processor. Possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Disting v. Morphagene as a granular processor. Possible?
miqraw
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 has a standard MIDI port and you can control any eight algorythm parameters (CC), program change and notes pitch. Soldering a MIDI connector is very easy or you can buy a MIDI extension.
Disting mk4 has 3 CV inputs, stereo inputs and outputs for granular manipulating incoming audio.
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 has SD card slot for samples.
Morphagene = 529 $
Disting mk4 = 130 €

It remains only to ask Expert Sleepers programmers to make granular algorithm for Disting mk4, and I will buy a few more Distings.

===Moderator Edit===
Deleting context out of a thread is not allowed. It destroys the experience for others and we don't allow that and we encourage everyone to write with a sense toward the fact that someone is likely to read and learn from the discussion in the future.

A friendly Wiggler sent me the archived text and I've restored it.

Please see this post.
kxx303
Well you can build a working system with only mk4’s. I am waiting for someone to build one. Must be fun.
BaloErets
miqraw wrote:
Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 has a standard MIDI port and you can control any eight algorythm parameters (CC), program change and notes pitch. Soldering a MIDI connector is very easy or you can buy a MIDI extension.
Disting mk4 has 3 CV inputs, stereo inputs and outputs for granular manipulating incoming audio.
Morphagene = 529 $
Disting mk4 = 130 €

It remains only to ask Expert Sleepers programmers to make granular algorithm for Disting mk4, and I will buy a few more Distings.

Sounds like a fun project but the Disting can't come close to a Morphagene. It can be some parts of the MG some of the time, but not all parts all of the time unless I'm mistaken that the Disting can record while processing audio it just recorded and be clocked at the same time with a built in envelope follower?
Also to note that the MG has 10 CV inputs.
miqraw
As i mentioned above, disting has 8 parameters controlled by MIDI, in addition to 3 CVs, so enough. If you use a module without a computer, the pitch of the sample is the first CV input, the start of the loop is the second, the loop length is the third CV input.
Selecting samples from an SD card and changing any 8 parameters is standard for disting, with two knobs - S and Z.
The Grump
I love my Distings, and they are incredibly capable little devices, but a Morphagene, Nebula, or Reflex they will never be. Yes, they have eight parameters controllable via midi, but those parameters are not smoothly responsive. They're kind of steppy, and they don't respond or refresh as quickly as the CV inputs, so as nice as your idea might be, it is sadly nought but a pipe dream.

It's not like they don't actually do enough already. And a granular tool could be quite fun, maybe a mutation of the audio scrubber, but I think trying to get it to record into a buffer constanly, then granulate/mangle to any serious degree is probably asking a bit much of the little units.
Nutritional Zero
miqraw wrote:
Morphagene = 529 $
Disting mk4 = 130 €

Hahahahahaha. Looks like the Markov chain operators are out on a eurorack training exercise. Get back to posting Trump memes on Facebook.

Here are a few words to confuse your algorithm:

Lettuce

Rolando

Empathy

Psilocybin

Scottish Independence

Warm beverages
synonymist
Nutritional Zero wrote:
miqraw wrote:
Morphagene = 529 $
Disting mk4 = 130 €

Hahahahahaha. Looks like the Markov chain operators are out on a eurorack training exercise. Get back to posting Trump memes on Facebook.

Here are a few words to confuse your algorithm:

Lettuce

Rolando

Empathy

Psilocybin

Scottish Independence

Warm beverages

lol
mamonu
So to recap:

1) get Disting
2)solder a midi in
3)put a sd card in
4) ???? but with algorithms + stuff
5) profit.
sempervirent
Disting MK4 does not yet work as an EV charging station, nor does it allow me to order orange juice from Amazon using voice commands alone. I hope that these obvious shortcomings will be addressed in a future firmware update.
cackland
Why close the topic? Someone else may come along with the same question or curiosity as you and this thread may help the next person.
Orgia Mode
I miss everything! angry
Kent
I’ve sent him a PM warning about this. It is not allowed to delete your content in a manner that is disrespectful to the time and dialog of others.
I’ve temporarily removed his editing privileges.
Selfishly wrecking continuity is one of the most unwanted acts that one can perform on this forum. Being selfish in this manner will not be tolerated.
First it is a temporary or permanent loss of editing privileges. Further selfish acts result in a closure of the account.

Kent
Update: A Wiggler had archived the discussion. I've returned it to the original context.
joem
re: the original topic...

It's an interesting thought, but while writing the program and making the program work well on a Disting might not be beyond Os's capabilities (he can probably do it) or beyond the Disting hardware's capabilities (I'm less sure about that part), it'd still be A LOT of work. I doubt it'd be worth investing that amount of time on something that likely would only work well for people who use their Disting with MIDI. (And even then it'd likely still be inferior to the Morphagene in some notable ways.)

One important way: Make Noise's UI's (including what knobs and CV jacks there are, their placement, how they might interact, etc) is a big part of their modules. Some people may have issues with their fonts, sure, but the UI is so much more than that, and they're one of the companies that usually do a very good job with it. So you'll be missing so much if you were running a Morphagene-like program on a Disting, even if you control various parameters via MIDI.
cackland
I suggest the title also be re-instated... otherwise this thread may get lost. A nondescript title is useless.
SyndieBot2000XL
cackland wrote:
Why close the topic? Someone else may come along with the same question or curiosity as you and this thread may help the next person.

It’s common practice on Reddit to go back and delete old posts and comments after you get the answer or response you’re looking for. Maybe this person has spent a lot of time there?
bobbcorr
I'll admit I am more intrigued by what you can do with a mess of Distings that is *new* than I am with trying to duplicate something that already exists as a completed product. It's why I loved building LEGO cars more than I loved die cast cars.

IOW, if each Disting is a discrete function block, what sort of interesting chains can we describe, document, test and demo?
UltraViolet
cackland wrote:
I suggest the title also be re-instated... otherwise this thread may get lost. A nondescript title is useless.

I agree. I only opened this thread out of curiosity, but am interested in the discussion. Other interested wigglers may miss it.
Kent
cackland wrote:

Good point. I don’t have the title to hand so wrote a new and descriptive one.
brandonlogic
Now that the thread is restored, back to the subject at hand.

hyper
Kent
brandonlogic wrote:
Now that the thread is restored, back to the subject at hand.

hyper

LOL
Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1