MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A new Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay Unit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A new Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay Unit
Soy Sos

Hey folks! Pittsburgh Modular just announced their new adorable and
really, really great sounding Analog Delay Unit.
I've had a chance to play with it and I say it's good!
Some fascinating insights from designer Micheal Johnsen.
He is seriously knowledgeable about these things on a level very few people
on this whole earth are.
gelabs
Huhu smile I like their videos.
Voltage Labs is on its way to me, so I'll have the opportunity to test this module in context.
Severed head
Yay!!! applause
When I seen the lab I thought I hope they do some of the modules broken out !!! And was primarily interested in the delay and filter
Pretty excited for it!
onthebandwagon
Any idea when this will be released and price?
Nutritional Zero
Based on the sound examples (and the VRL videos) this sounds like a great delay.
joem
onthebandwagon wrote:

From the website: "The suggested retail price for the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Analog Delay Unit is $199. The module is available now and begins shipping Friday."
Ras Thavas
I notice the delay time slider seems to be non-linear, with control over the longer echo times related to only a small region at the top of the throw.

I'm curious if this is a design decision or just a side effect of the circuit as designed?
Orgia Mode
Wow, 6HP/35mm deep is a nice size for this. I'd have expected larger.
onthebandwagon
joem wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:

From the website: "The suggested retail price for the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Analog Delay Unit is $199. The module is available now and begins shipping Friday."

OH Shit... I agree about the videos, despite the cloying retro look, I’m rather endeared by the knowledge and general attitude of the makers. It’s nice to see plants in nature and not dolloped around someone’s system like new age crystals.
lauprellim
I tried this out at their factory recently. Very simple, great sound, compact...does just what it is designed for. The analog replicator added more of a texture component so I think PM was after a more straightforward delay.
Soy Sos

Richard on this one......

Echo
Echo
Echo
Echo
Echo
deftinwulf
340ms of delay isn't really enough for my tastes but it is a stylish design and I'm sure is well made. The delay character does sound good as far as short echos are concerned, from what I can tell on crappy laptop speakers... Tentatively interested. hmmm..... Rockin' Banana!
shellfritsch
Ras Thavas wrote:
I notice the delay time slider seems to be non-linear, with control over the longer echo times related to only a small region at the top of the throw.

I'm curious if this is a design decision or just a side effect of the circuit as designed?

i'm curious about this as well. you can see the curve here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5nkFOrpd2N/

my guess is that maybe the longer throw on the shorter times is to make it easier to "tune" when self oscillating??

some more info from the insta comments:

"the ADU has a new feedback circuit for a lot more echos before self-oscillating. We also managed to brighten and clean up the sound."

i noticed those clean repeats with the lovely falloff... sounds great!
Soy Sos
Ras Thavas wrote:

There's actually been a little resistor value fine tune for this very reason since that video.
Ras Thavas
Soy Sos wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:

There's actually been a little resistor value fine tune for this very reason since that video.

Very cool, thanks! The tone quality of the delay sounds great, particularly the mangling of voice with longer delay times shown in your video.
Nutritional Zero
I think this is to the Voltage Research Laboratory what the iPod Shuffle was to the iPod.

A very tempting and affordable taste of the full thing. Want to know more? I guess we need to wait for VRL general availability (I did not Kickstarter).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1