MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What's the craziest thing you've done for module money?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What's the craziest thing you've done for module money?
noodlesoup
I'm on the edge of doing things I previously found questionable.

Feel free to enable my descent, as I'm in great need of ideas, and I love crazy stories.
fac
Nothing too crazy, but this is probably the year when I feel/know I'm indulging irresponsibly in gear acquisitions. Nothing too expensive, but I don't really have money to spend and know things could get a bit tight in the next few months. Still, I've had a very productive year in my job and feel like I really deserve it.

I've already spent way more than I should, and haven't even bought a single xmas gift for family members (except for my kids), but I'm still waiting for the Synthesizers.com filter holiday sale to finally grab a couple of modules and finish my MU system; something I've been postponing for four years. So I'm totally in a "buy now, feel guilty later" kind of mood.
mt3
I've sold other modules.
Pelsea
Well, I published a book. It’s been out a year and earned enough to buy 4 modules. Probably not the best way to finance an instrument.
Yes Powder
Sold most of my retro video game collection to finance a Doepfer case?
I know; I’m a wild man! This is fun!
Wasn’t a huge loss to me, really. I barely even play them anymore.
EPTC
Pelsea wrote:
Well, I published a book.

Congrats, Pelsea!

Yes Powder wrote:

This I completely agree with. I funded a lot of my 30s/40s through selling off my teens/20s, including Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast.

Was amazed at the money made from old band shirts. (Used and heavily washed bauhaus shirts from the right era, and the like, go for $100+ each - and not even to fetishists!)

In terms of craziest thought: I've considered selling plasma before.
chachi
i regularly recycle cans and only spend the money on modular.
GuyaGuy
Sitting at a desk clicking on things and sitting in meetings.
hewed
Worked to advance the interests of capitalism.
Thorsday
Subject myself to hazardous materials and perilous situations... Full time job: I see this detail of work and these people more than my family and music equipment, for sure. First world problems has become something I think of a lot.

A job is kind of crazy. Utopia, where and when...?
Schrank
Yes Powder wrote:
I know; I’m a wild man! This is fun!
Wasn’t a huge loss to me, really. I barely even play them anymore.

I'm doing exactly this right now. Good thing is most of the stuff had a price hike since I purchased it 10-15 years ago. I have games that sell for 200$ and more now. That means 1 game = 1 module It's peanut butter jelly time!
Wartimetapestry
Not so crazy but a good shout for anyone with free time - I spend the downtime at work doing surveys on Prolific. It doesn't add up to much but I get a good 20 - 30 quid extra to bump up Tayda orders each month.

Plasma might be a better option.
naturligfunktion
When I bought my first case, it came as a shock how much everything cost, so I sold my television, my xbox and a buch of games in order to pay for it hihi
Kent
Work at a soul crushing job. Never again.
snakejaw
Sold my ass.

John64
Sold a kidney on the dark web.
shred
save up
hamildad
Sold my record collection of Dance 12"s on discogs which allowed me to finish my Eurorack case, which then got sold and allowed me to start a 5U case...

got crazy prices for some records, there was a period I was making loads of money, but having to go to the post office A LOT.
sduck
Work at a steady job. Get paid. Use a budget, after the bills are paid, money is set aside for savings, and a little extra for fun, use the leftover for modular stuff. I know, crazy, amiright?
wackelpeter
EPTC wrote:

Used and heavily washed bauhaus shirts from the right era, and the like, go for $100+ each - and not even to fetishists.

which fetishist would buy a washed shirt or underpant? when sniffing on some underpants i want to smell the former owner... hihi hmmm..... help
mamonu
sduck wrote:
Work at a steady job. Get paid. Use a budget, after the bills are paid, money is set aside for savings, and a little extra for fun, use the leftover for modular stuff. I know, crazy, amiright?

what he said. 99% of my life i am doing that. thumbs up ....

...apart from last month. where i got a really good deal but spent much more money than i could that i need to work my ass this month and the next to get.
also selling modules that i like. zombie zombie

i work many days from home and save on transportation money too.
not very wild but :shrug:

...it did feel like relapsing into the good ol' times when i was a university student and spent all my money on synths and stuff and had budget for food of 1 pound per day for some months smile
Noodle Twister
Learned how to solder. I had no idea that a simple Atari punk console kit would lead me to modular, it was just a fun project.

It did lead to a reasonable saving on modules though even if not intentioned from the start.

I'm glad the trail lead to muffwigger too.
w00t
luchog
Working a lot of overtime and holidays at an unpleasant job; and saving up the extra money I get from that.
UltraViolet
sduck wrote:

That's just totally crazy!! woah Its almost as crazy as reading the manual before you start using something new. hihi
sduck
UltraViolet wrote:
sduck wrote:

That's just totally crazy!! woah Its almost as crazy as reading the manual before you start using something new. hihi

Whoa that's beyond comprehension crazy. Don't go down that road...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2