new to modulars and would like some pointers on a starter

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

money bags
eat the rich

new to modulars and would like some pointers on a starter

Post by money bags » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:08 pm

hello-
i have a sequential circuits 6trak, and a realistic MG-1 im selling to get started. im really interested in SINE WAVES. my music is mostly drone. i would like a starter that will give me options later on down the line. from what i understand is that the power supply is the only thing that really limits what modular makers you use. please any advice is wanted.

pink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pink » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:25 am

A key piece of advice, from what I can gather, would be to try to look for sines with rich harmonic content.
This was a triumph_

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:48 am

OMG, we're never gonna let that one go :lol:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:41 am

Hi krusephilip,

A bit of an inside joke by our pal 'pink'... don't worry if you didn't get it and don't tell other synth-heads that you are seeking the same.

In order of us to help you, you will really have to be clear with yourself about your goals for the next 6 months and then into the future. Budget is always an issue. You can get into modulars for $300 or literally $30,000.

The Euro Rack formats and Blacet (Frac Rack Format) are the only two that I personally should comment upon. This is the limit of my experience at this time.

Euro Rack is positively exploding with amazing modules. The past 24 months have been a fantastic time for modular synthesis. You can easily get your basics from the likes of Doepfer, Analogue Systems, Analogue Solutions, & Tip Top Audio (2 products at the moment). All of these companies also make modules that are great for spicing up your bread & butter layout. Add The Harvestmanâ„¢ brand modules for shit that will make your cat flee the room.

At the very least, when you begin, you will probably want an oscillator or 3, some VCAs, Envelope Generators (EG), Low Frequency Oscillators (LFO) and some filters. You can start with one of each, or however your budget will work out. A cool module to score on the used market is the Analogue Solutions Black Coffee. I've got an audio demo of it on this forum. It does a LOT in one panel.
Last edited by Kent on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:01 am

the minicases are a great way to start if you have a limited budget.

pink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pink » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Sorry, my bullshit meter pegged when I saw SINE WAVES in all caps, no one else?

I any case welcome aboard, I'm new here too we can be buddies!
This was a triumph_

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 pm

pink wrote:Sorry, my bullshit meter pegged when I saw SINE WAVES in all caps, no one else?

I any case welcome aboard, I'm new here too we can be buddies!
i gave coincidence the benefit of the doubt, but its timing it perfect. :)

and i forgot to mention the minicases should not be used for oscillators and are shallower than the suitcases.

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Re: new to modulars and would like some pointers on a starte

Post by thermionicjunky » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:46 pm

krusephilip wrote:hello-
i have a sequential circuits 6trak, and a realistic MG-1 im selling to get started. im really interested in SINE WAVES. my music is mostly drone. i would like a starter that will give me options later on down the line. from what i understand is that the power supply is the only thing that really limits what modular makers you use. please any advice is wanted.
Even the power supply issue is often a non-issue. There are bound to be exceptions, or calibration issues, but it's often just a matter of terminating the power cable with the proper connector. For pure, analog sine waves, look into filters. At self-oscillation, they will give the cleanest sines. You will also have plenty of filters to choose from for use as filters for these sine wave mixtures. As you begin to be drawn toward particular formats and manufacturers, come here for more advice. We have experience with almost everything here. At this point, you just need to research every company and think about cost, size, jacks, reputation and module selection.

pink
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pink » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:53 pm

dkcg wrote: i gave coincidence the benefit of the doubt, but its timing it perfect. :)
There are no coincidences!

But seriously,

I never really have big chunks of cash at many given times so my plan is to buy a Doepfer suitcase when they come into stock at Analogue Haven (should be about 2-3 weeks I'm told) and maybe buy a couple of utility modules that I know I'll need. I'm going to try and get the boring/expensive stuff out of the way first, then I can just have this cool $200-300 per month hobby buying the cool stuff.

That's the plan at least...

I also keep a little sticky with all the module names on it that regularly come up as "cool" on the forums then I go check the price/details/demos and if it's something I will want it stays on the list.

You can just use the various Modular Planners that run in your browser but it's easy to get confused when you get outside of the VCO/VCF/LFO/ASDR territory without taking notes. The one I use also crashes my browser a lot.
This was a triumph_

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:38 pm

The DIY case is another option. it's $200 for everything for a 6u case, except you have to do some woodworking or get lucky with a box that's the perfect size. So if you have the tools, or know someone who does, costs are minimal for the case. I bet even an ikea case could be modified to work.
I'm building a case today, if anyone's interested, I'll post pictures when I make some progress.

Only cost is the DIY kit which I got second hand here, wood, I have lying around, screws n glue, got that too. power, i'm working on, I used the rails in another dead case, but have an Asys power board minus a dead transformer (tested it with a working transformer, lit up) that I can hopefully revive.

it's not gonna be pretty, but it will work, hopefully. :coffee:

money bags
eat the rich

Post by money bags » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:25 am

yes i would like to see it. im thinking that im going to make a case once i have the power supply.

money bags
eat the rich

Post by money bags » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:32 am

Kent wrote:Hi krusephilip,

A bit of an inside joke by our pal 'pink'... don't worry if you didn't get it and don't tell other synth-heads that you are seeking the same.

In order of us to help you, you will really have to be clear with yourself about your goals for the next 6 months and then into the future. Budget is always an issue. You can get into modulars for $300 or literally $30,000.

The Euro Rack formats and Blacet (Frac Rack Format) are the only two that I personally should comment upon. This is the limit of my experience at this time.

Euro Rack is positively exploding with amazing modules. The past 24 months have been a fantastic time for modular synthesis. You can easily get your basics from the likes of Doepfer, Analogue Systems, Analogue Solutions, & Tip Top Audio (2 product at the moment). All of these companies also make modules that are great for spicing up your bread & butter layout. Add The Harvestmanâ„¢ brand modules for shit that will make your cat flee the room.
what made you want a Euro rack and not the u.s. models? i like the smaller size since i travel so much but i dont like that i cant find full kits for assembling the modular. im also in need of switching between 120v and 220v on my power supply.
Last edited by money bags on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:51 am

Blacet's power supply (ps500) switches between 120 & 220v. That is for frac. Frac frames fit into SKB cases, and there are loads of great modules from several manufacturers (STG, Wiard, Blacet, Synthasonic, Metalbox, etc). Blacet sells all of their modules in kit form, or assembled. If you decide to go frac, order a Mini-Wave from Blacet immediately, as they are running out of stock. You can search for and find older threads espousing the virtues of the Mini-Wave.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:45 am

I was referring to the format know as "Euro". It is the format for Doepfer, The Harvestman, the upcoming Metasonix modules, Analogue Systems, Analogue Solutions, TipTop Audio, Cwejman, Elby, Livewire, STG Sound Labs, Make Noise Music, MFB and others. By far the most diverse and widely supported format.

It has nothing to do with U.S. vs Europe or voltages.

The Analogue Systems racks are dual voltage. Most (maybe all?) of Analogue Solutions are. Doepfer are NOT.

money bags
eat the rich

Post by money bags » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:39 pm

ill check out all of this out and thanks for setting me straight about the voltage and the formats.

Return to “General Gear”