MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

random "bug" modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author random "bug" modules
elemental
I've been getting more and more into the idea of using some random modules with a quantizer (or not) to get some semi-random sequences and blurps going on in my modular. Really digging some of the "bug jams" people have been posting.

I can do Frac or Euro. I've considered DIY, but havent started actually doing any yet!
Current options:

Noise Ring - grant is not making them atm, prob till next year sometime..
Binary Zone
Improbabilty Drive

Plan B - Heisenberg Gen

Wiard Wogglebug - kinda out of my range but not totally out of the question
DIY Wogglebug

I know a few of you are really into this kinda stuff so - what do u recommend?
wetterberg
two diy wogglebugs - bridechamber ftw.
dougcl
Right now I'm tweakin out on the use of two VCLFO's with a slew limiter. So on the top of my list is the Cwejman DLFO, which is calling to me this 10% off weekend at AH. I guess in general, I prefer discrete bread and butter modules to build up functionality than single modules that conceal the signal path.
wetterberg
gah, you're right, dougcl - two vcLFOs in a feedback circuit would be all it takes to get that pseudo-thing happening.

I personally would recommend including a clockable noise source;

take the square out of one vcLFO, clock the noise with it, and send the noise to the vc of the first LFO. Send the output of that second LFO to both the cv in of the first LFO and out to control whatever you want. Perhaps a bit o' attenuation involved here and there, and you're good to go.
fluxmonkey
ken stone's gated comparator... wow, whatta module...
dougcl
wetterberg wrote:
take the square out of one vcLFO, clock the noise with it, and send the noise to the vc of the first LFO. Send the output of that second LFO to both the cv in of the first LFO and out to control whatever you want. Perhaps a bit o' attenuation involved here and there, and you're good to go.

Is this what you mean?
elemental
Hmmm - I have a Darkstar Chaos as my only proper noise module (been meaning to pick up the Doepfer coloured noise for ages now) - that has a clock in I think.
I have one VCLFO and the RS95e which can go to LFO range (as can the AFG!) .. also a VCS which makes a cool LFO/Osc

thanks - its good to see what can be done with what you have already!
D/A A/D
NOOOO the noise ring BETTER be back, it was one of the reasons I ordered a miniwave...
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
Right now I'm tweakin out on the use of two VCLFO's with a slew limiter. So on the top of my list is the Cwejman DLFO, which is calling to me this 10% off weekend at AH. I guess in general, I prefer discrete bread and butter modules to build up functionality than single modules that conceal the signal path.

It's a beautiful module. The sync trip point control is really cool being able to move the second LFO's sync point and move it "around in time". It's a great gestural modulator for filters, especially when the 1st lfo is synced to the env gen, pretty cool being able to repeat, weird modulation combos you find, and it rarely strays, i love using the chaos of the planB stuff with the tightness of the cwejman. they seem to be the backbone of my rig now.

one other cool thing, in audio mode, the sync will stick to a "real" oscillator, so it's great for fattening sound too.

I also send it through the miniwave for it to quantize to write some music for me too.

I was lucky enough to get it used.

The randomness tho, it's ok, but nothing that great. I prefer my heisenberg for randomness
wetterberg
dougcl wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

Is this what you mean?
nah, I think you'll need an S+H and analog noise... the 117 is 1-bit only... A slew limiter after the 117 could work as well.
John Nonjohn
Check out the Thomas Henry SN voice!

Otherwise, here is a technique I use to generate random, control voltages that works quite well, using a Blacet I/O module:

Feed the audio output of a vintage, analog synth (I use a Moog Rogue in auto-trigger, drone mode) into the preamp of the I/O. The synth source should vary in amplitude intensity, so VCO beating is a good thing! The I/O generates CV based on the amplitude changes of the audio fed in to it. The "randomness" or probability of the CV can be tailored with the parameters of the I/O!

I want a Noise Ring or two, too! I hope these are still going to be available!
dougcl
I see, like this then...
Kwote
D/A A/D wrote:
NOOOO the noise ring BETTER be back, it was one of the reasons I ordered a miniwave...

you'll have to wait either way. i'd suggest putting in order in anyway or hunting for a used one. i got mine used and can't complain. wink
wetterberg
dougcl wrote:
I see, like this then...
yes, mate - I think that'll be a mean pseudorandom module, for sure!

A simplified circuit would be to replace the noise source by just sending one of the LFO outs to the s+h instead.
dougcl
wetterberg wrote:
A simplified circuit would be to replace the noise source by just sending one of the LFO outs to the s+h instead.

Yes, exactly. I started thinking of that once I looked at the picture. Good to know that there is a simple alternative to the slew.
Soy Sos
A Random Bug Module you say!!!!
Well I just got this in the mail today and it's twittering away right now!

So this is a Folktek piece from his Filandroid series.
http://folktek.com/bugcomission.html
I bought an early prototype on the bay and thought it might be fun to put in my modular. After taking it apart and completely fucking it up I destroyed it. He agreed to charge me for a new circuit and mount it in my panel. It's running off the 5v of my power supply. It's completely crazy, almost impossible to control or predict it's behavior and is fun as hell. I don't know if he would make any more as I know he's busy and this was a hassle. I'll post some samples if folks would like and let me know if there is any interest I'll pass it along to him. I would encourage people to check out Folktek's beautiful assortment of instruments if you haven't already.
wetterberg
eek!

Samples FTW, Eel-man!

SlayerBadger!
Soy Sos
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10030
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10031
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10032
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10033

This is the module alone. If crazy, random, impossible to control
chaos is what people are after, is this for the win?
wetterberg
that's ill! It's the first time I've seen a circuitbent toy properly modular-mounted like this!

Is it fun to jam with it? Or is it "Ooh, I found this good bend, let me leave it like this for a while"?
Soy Sos
It's really "Oh I found a good one, let me leave it like this for a while"
Listen to the last one to get an idea of all the crazy shit it can cycle through.
You can twist around a bunch of controls for a while and nothing,when all
of the sudden ....
kygfdlty'rsdlgfudfoijg6brdg;idtnefl!!!!!!!!!!
Soy Sos
So, any interest in something like this?
The 2 left 1/8" jacks are CV in by the way.
Some interesting stuff there also.
johnnymad
it looks great man. i haven't had a chance to listen to the clips yet. i'm glad folktek was able to fix it for you.
scozbor
Kwote wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

you'll have to wait either way. i'd suggest putting in order in anyway or hunting for a used one. i got mine used and can't complain. wink

I have now been waiting about 5months for mine eek! sad
(not really complaining though. I'm prepared to wait!)
Roycie Roller
Soy Sos wrote:
So, any interest in something like this?
The 2 left 1/8" jacks are CV in by the way.
Some interesting stuff there also.

I liked it, i thought the clips were great. It sounds like a great noise/modulation source. I like the blue lamp, too! If i had the money, i'd like to get one of the Time Machines.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1