Kudos to Make Noise!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Kudos to Make Noise!

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Yesterday I received the allmighty Mimeophon after a looooong wait and several setbakcs (not MK fault)

After 10 years of using eurorack, and knowing that you have to focus on only 1 thing when connecting a module, I plugged it backwards :eurosmoke:

But,,,no magic smoke at all!

And when I re-connected it the right way, the module works as expected! :yay: :yay: :yay:

So kudos to Tony and the Make Noise crew to implement reversed polarity protection in this product! they saved my day!

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Kudos to Make Noise!

Post by Whelm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:37 am

It's rather obscene that every module isn't polarity protected in a context where power being reversed is so probable.

doublestewart
Common Wiggler

Post by doublestewart » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am

I've made the same mistake with a MN module, very grateful it didn't break anything and cost me 100's of bucks!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

Whelm wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:37 am
It's rather obscene that every module isn't polarity protected in a context where power being reversed is so probable.
yep

Maybe 10 years ago this was somewhat understandable due to the market size and lack of standards, but today it is inexcusable

with a 50% chance of frying a module this is no joke

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am
Well, 50% if you flip a coin. ;) I’ve mounted modules about 150 times and never gotten it wrong.

That said, I agree. Every module should be protected when it comes to the power but also when it comes to patching outputs to outputs.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

Stides
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stides » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am

Major way to assure reverse polarity in your future, Lisa. Or Jinks lol

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:22 am
anselmi wrote:
Well, 50% if you flip a coin. ;) I’ve mounted modules about 150 times and never gotten it wrong.
Great that you are so smart...I wish I could exchange my 2 PhD for your power connection skills...oh well...

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 pm

I've not plugged one in backwards but the Doepfer boards let you plug it in so that the pins don't line up. So I've done that a few times--left side plugged into the right and the right not plugged into anything or the top jacks plugged into the next second row of pins. When I got my MDLR case I was amazed at the ingenious guards around the pins that prevent that!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:37 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 pm
I've not plugged one in backwards but the Doepfer boards let you plug it in so that the pins don't line up. So I've done that a few times--left side plugged into the right and the right not plugged into anything or the top jacks plugged into the next second row of pins. When I got my MDLR case I was amazed at the ingenious guards around the pins that prevent that!
This happens to a friend that owns an old Monorocket case. When most modules are mounted and you are trying to connect a new one via a 4 HP gap, is hard to see if the connectors are aligned

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 pm

I managed to fry another module when I plugged in a reverse-polarity protected module the wrong way :cry: luckily that hasn't happened since.

Regarding the original post, hats off to Make Noise :sb:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

lisa wrote:
anselmi wrote:

That said, I agree. Every module should be protected when it comes to the power but also when it comes to patching outputs to outputs.
I have mistakenly patched my R*S modules from outputs to outputs before and as far as I can tell everything still works. It's pretty easy to do when they're on a grid. ALSO some modules have surprising outputs from inputs and that has not turned out to break anything yet.

It's easy to be intentional with the ribbon cables (my Pittsburgh case has keyed headers which I think is really nice feature). I appreciate when companies add these amenities to keep things easy for those of us without electronics know-how.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 pm

anselmi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:37 pm
GuyaGuy wrote:
This happens to a friend that owns an old Monorocket case. When most modules are mounted and you are trying to connect a new one via a 4 HP gap, is hard to see if the connectors are aligned
I can actually connect Doepfer by feel. But in your 4HP example what I do is remove adjacent modules and unplug those at the module side not the bus board side.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:13 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 pm
anselmi wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
I can actually connect Doepfer by feel. But in your 4HP example what I do is remove adjacent modules and unplug those at the module side not the bus board side.
I do the same, but his case is populated by low-HP modules so he have to remove quite a lot to make room for his hand...and he´s too lazy for this...also the old Monorocket stuff are not 100% acurate in the module space and you spend quite a long time just to add a couple of screws...this and the damn sliding nuts systems makes this cases quite annoying to add modules so he always try to mount new stuff without touch anything else

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 pm

anselmi wrote:

I try to plug the power cables into the power buss when they are disconnected from the module.
Then pull the ends through the holes between modules.
And plug the power cable into the back of the module last.
This makes things allot easier but, it does take a little planning.
I do end up using the higher quality power cables and have a big pile of the crappier ones.
And any stored modules have no cables on them so they fit in boxes way easier.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Benoist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benoist » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:33 pm

I have a powerful head lamp now just for rearranging ...
Then narrow modules first, large ones last
Long ago I fried a Model 15 for various reasons : tired, low light, cumbersome module but mainly because I let go the damn cable for a split second and I didn't realize it had twisted :evil:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:28 pm

anselmi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:13 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 pm
anselmi wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
I do the same, but his case is populated by low-HP modules so he have to remove quite a lot to make room for his hand...and he´s too lazy for this...also the old Monorocket stuff are not 100% acurate in the module space and you spend quite a long time just to add a couple of screws...this and the damn sliding nuts systems makes this cases quite annoying to add modules so he always try to mount new stuff without touch anything else
Oh right. Glad I don't have sliding nuts, or many low hp modules for that matter.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:51 am

lisa wrote:
anselmi wrote:

You may not imbibe as much as many others (me) do. It is a discipline for sure. My issues usually are the plug is askew to the left, to the right or a set of pins too low. My small aluminum torch helps me trouble shoot my incongruities.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

aphex2000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aphex2000 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 am

Some module makers might see it as an elitist thing to keep Eurorack from becoming too mainstream.

Only the pros can connect 150 modules without frying one, are you hardcore enough?! if not, play with your soft synths you heathen! I hand-soldiered all my modules, what are you - some kind of weakling?! My intertonal bleeps and bloops are formed with tears, sweat and fried electronic parts!

Joking aside, in 2020 it is not acceptable. Or at least mark the -12v side VERY well.

honeyb
Common Wiggler

Post by honeyb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:43 am

aphex2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 am
I hand-soldiered all my modules, what are you - some kind of weakling?! My intertonal bleeps and bloops are formed with tears, sweat and fried electronic parts!
What, no blood? no burnt flesh? And you claim to hand-solder. Weakling!

You're the type who probably only solders when sober and well rested. One of these days you will learn what hard-core really means.

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 am

All I can say is: why is the red stripe negative? I know this now and am used to it, but when first started up in euro, I literally read the opposite because that made more sense. I’m lucky I never messed it up, esp since usually my play time is after a long rough work day and a drink.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:45 pm

aphex2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 am
Joking aside, in 2020 it is not acceptable. Or at least mark the -12v side VERY well.
This is another issue...some manufacturers marks it really tiny or they didn´t mark it at all.
Then you mail them to be sure that the red stripe is negative and receive a grumpy, sound engineer-style answer :hihi:

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:30 am

Foghorn wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 pm
I try to plug the power cables into the power buss when they are disconnected from the module.
Then pull the ends through the holes between modules.
And plug the power cable into the back of the module last.
This makes things allot easier but, it does take a little planning.
I do end up using the higher quality power cables and have a big pile of the crappier ones.
And any stored modules have no cables on them so they fit in boxes way easier.
I'm slightly amazed that i never thought of this myself... never fried a module yet but i've been pulling my hair thinking "how is this meant to be possible"... fitting connectors in small gaps, and my case is v. deep so some cables that come with modules are almost too short... never once did i think - lets plug the cable in the case first and module second. Lmao

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:30 am

Also, i once put a doepfer 199 spring reverb upside down, it didn't work of course and i was like bummer, i messed it up somehow, oh well. And kept it like that for a month before i noticed when rearranging the case. Still works!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”