Unpatched Sequencer is triggering ADSR?!? - This is Mental!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

CapabilityBrown
Learning to Wiggle

Unpatched Sequencer is triggering ADSR?!? - This is Mental!

Post by CapabilityBrown » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Still a noob so this might not be as weird as it seems to me right now but my system is completely unpatched, when I press play on my Varigate 4+, my Doepfer A-140-2 ADSR is being triggered at the same rate as the clock out. They’re at opposite ends of my case too. I’ve moved the ADSR on to a different row and it still happens. Next I’ll need to move a few modules to see if moving the bus connections further apart solves it. This happened to anyone else?

VZvision
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Unpatched Sequencer is triggering ADSR?!? - This is Mental!

Post by VZvision » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Both modules are connected to your busboard via 16 to 16 pin cables right?

If so, sounds like both are communiticating via the seldom used bus select on your bus board...both modules are capable of bus access so I think this must be it... check the manual of the A 140-2 for jumper position to enable/disable this... not sure about disabling on varigate 4....

Hope that helps.

CapabilityBrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CapabilityBrown » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks for replying. I’ve connected the ADSR to the lower half of the bus board intended for the bottom row which has sorted it. Seems like the bus access is separate for the two rows thankfully.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Or, learn to use the buss access for gates and CVs
It is a pretty cool way to set up.
You can disable buss access on any module (I Think)
So you disable the modules you want to be patch only and
use the buss for patches (like triggering things) that you always want to use.

Peace

Foghorn

PS Hay capability, you need an avatar.
Everyone does it.
I have a picture of myself loaded as my avatar :hmm:
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :doh:
.......Not really a musician.......

CapabilityBrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CapabilityBrown » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Ok cool, I’d never even heard of bus access before today but sounds really useful. Suppose I should sort out an avatar, got a feeling this eurorack thing is for keeps ;) Cheers!

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Oh, and you only get a larger post count by (helpfully) posting in separate threads.
50 or 100 posts gets you some new advantages on this board.
Be safe and wiggle on, and make helpful, friendly posts.
{}{}{}-----0
No spam though!

Foghorn :hmm:
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :doh:
.......Not really a musician.......

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 pm

On a 16 pin bus connector the top row (farthest from -12v), connects to the Gate bus and the next row below connects to the CV bus. Be aware that you can only have one transmitter connected to the gate bus and one connected to the CV bus otherwise you could damage modules. So always read the manual when installing new modules to see if they have internal bus transmission options. Usually there will be a jumper you can change to disable this if necessary or desired. If you use a 10 pin connector you won't access the internal buses.

The jumper settings for the Varigate 4+ are on page 12 of the manual.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

All bus related functions are normalized to the jacks they are connected too. You don't need to set jumper on receiving modules. If you don't want the module to react to the CV or Gate input, you can patch a cord into that jack and it will turn it off.

The only time using the jumpers on the backs of modules are needed is if you have two or more SENDERS on the same bus. This is to be discouraged for the same reason using passive multiples for mixing. Only one sender per bus.

The standard Doepfer power bus has two jumpers in the middle. These are used to connect or isolate either side from each other if you want dual usage on the same power bus. On 6U systems, typically there is a wire connected to the jumpers and this goes between power busses to connect them together.

I use this bus all the time. I have modified modules to connect to it (easy to do if the module has normalized jacks). I also have a couple of, now out of production, Doepfer A-185-1 Bus Access modules, that bring buffered versions of the bus out to jacks on the front, and allow non-connected modules to connect to the bus. VERY useful modules. AH still has some for $65 each
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.01.13 PM.png
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Eurorack Modules”