New to the format !!!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

New to the format !!!

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi, I wonder which is the best option in 5u modular ATM.

I've already an euro setup fairly big so my wonder is if the motm format is still alive and what's the advantage of one over the other!
I've read tons of threads and I know it's a bit " do you like yellow or blue?" question but the most concern is the availability of modules.

I would like to cut the costs with diy and I know MOTM is the way with that in mind, but I'm looking for some pcb plus panell sellers beside synthcube and beside the list in the pinned thread !( maybe there's some place to look I didn't saw already) BTW I'm in EU so EU is preferable !

And anothere question are the voltages compatibles between euro and MOTM and MU? I know Moog modular standard it is ( V/OCT etc etc)

so recapping I want to enter to big boy modular world, any suggestion??

:cloud:

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Re: New to the format !!!

Post by kcd06 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Welcome to the new money pit...hobby. Meant hobby.

Motm is not really in current production in finished modules, though there are kits available. MOTM is also a bit wider in panel size than is the (Synthesizer).COM format, and uses a different power connector. The DOTCOM format is well supported by a number of manufacturers in kits and finished modules, the power connector also features a dedicated +5 volt line for powering digital components. Both MOTM and DOTCOM use the volt/octave format, and can talk to each other and your existing eurorack system (with a cable adapter for the latter, of course.)

The primary difference, in use, between DOTCOM and MOTM is that MOTM is a bit more rigid in layout and organization. While DOTCOM is nowhere near as chaotic as the euroeack world gets, it is/can be more fluid in panel layout and use. Also, DIY won't save you a lot more money in 5u than it does in eurorack, sadly. It does not take too much to convert euro DIY to DOTCOM, simply need to source a converter to use the +/-15V instead of +/-12 and a panel to take advantage of all the lovely new space you have.

I would argue that your better choice would be to go with the DOTCOM format. Also, I will be hunted down and severely lectured at by certain people here, but good conversation is near always appreciated and I would probably spring for lunch.
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 pm

What does the color 5 taste like?
(MU format with DotCom power)
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:30 pm

.com is easily the dominant format now.. loads of makers.. ..motm is actually slimmer than .com not wider.. (both same height) .. 5u is generally more about multiple layered osc where euro is more about complex modulations.. this is a generalisation of course.. both formats can do both... new 5u stuff is encompassing the digital stuff more and more..

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Yes, dotcom is easier to get new, and dotcom kits are even starting to proliferate. That said, used MOTM and (some of) the kits might be not too unobtainable. But good luck at finding all the original MOTM series...
Which is the best? Get both :guinness: :lol: :beer:
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi there thank you for all the replies , so as I see dotcom is the way to go, there's any kit? Since I like the idea of solder modules , even if it won't save me money ! I've spotted some yusynth pcb and pannels on synthcube but I don't remember if they were motm or dotocm(mu) , what I get is that motm case relay on a similar suspension to eurorack, with 4 screws on a rails , since I suppose there's a fixed width for panels in dotcom are the modules fixed by the rails like in euro?

I think the way I want to go is to build a cab by myself

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Sorry if those sounds like stupid questions but even after some years of euro wiggling I feel like baby newbie in front of 5U

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Maybe oakleysound.com has pcbs that would work in dotcom format. Originally they were all MOTM format. Tony Allgood's modules are recommended and are easier to get than the Paul Schreiber original MOTM series. He is located in the U.K.
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Ockeghem wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:01 pm
Maybe oakleysound.com has pcbs that would work in dotcom format. Originally they were all MOTM format. Tony Allgood's modules are recommended and are easier to get than the Paul Schreiber original MOTM series. He is located in the U.K.
Thank you I'll check it out!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm

1. go to modulargrid.net
2. near the upper left, click on 'eurorack' and use the drop-down to change it to MU
3. click on MODULES, just to the right of that
4. enjoy!

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:38 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm
1. go to modulargrid.net
2. near the upper left, click on 'eurorack' and use the drop-down to change it to MU
3. click on MODULES, just to the right of that
4. enjoy!
That's was the first thing I've done ;)

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 pm

mz25 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:51 pm
Sorry if those sounds like stupid questions but even after some years of euro wiggling I feel like baby newbie in front of 5U
I've had my 5U system for going on 3 years, and I still feel like a "baby newbie" in front of it! Have fun and remember: The journey is the destination! :tu:

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 pm
mz25 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:51 pm
I've had my 5U system for going on 3 years, and I still feel like a "baby newbie" in front of it! Have fun and remember: The journey is the destination! :tu:
Ahah learned that with euro !!!

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pm

As others have said, I'd stick with MU format unless you're going to be gung ho DIY only.
kcd06 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm
MOTM is also a bit narrower in panel size than is the (Synthesizer).COM format
FTFY
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:59 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pm
As others have said, I'd stick with MU format unless you're going to be gung ho DIY only.
kcd06 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm
MOTM is also a bit narrower in panel size than is the (Synthesizer).COM format
FTFY
Yep I get the fact about obtaining new built modules but since I want to do mostly diy I was checking right now and I don't see so much .com pcbs and panels to diy, mostly are motm

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:00 am

Very few PCBs have hardware mounted to the board. Wiring is part of the 5u DIY experience. Just because you are using the mechanics of MOTM doesn’t mean you need to stick with the rigid layout of the original Synth Tech modules. Or even size (width). You can get flat panels made to MU dimensions. You can build a case to hold both MOTM and MU; if your original plan for modules (# of MOTM/# of MU) changes you can build a module that custom fits into your available space.

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:23 am

MrNezumi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:00 am
Very few PCBs have hardware mounted to the board. Wiring is part of the 5u DIY experience. Just because you are using the mechanics of MOTM doesn’t mean you need to stick with the rigid layout of the original Synth Tech modules. Or even size (width). You can get flat panels made to MU dimensions. You can build a case to hold both MOTM and MU; if your original plan for modules (# of MOTM/# of MU) changes you can build a module that custom fits into your available space.
Right since the difference in pcb is just the connector isn't it?

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 am

Many PCBs accept both kinds of 5u power connectors.

mz25
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mz25 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

Speaking about cases do you prefer to mount modules bare into wood rails or do you use metals premade rails?

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am

I use wood rails. Because I don’t move modules often and my case is small but roomy, I use bolts/nuts. Many people use wood screws.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 pm

mz25 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am
Speaking about cases do you prefer to mount modules bare into wood rails or do you use metals premade rails?
Have used both. Wood rails are fine. Water-thin super glue can make them more durable. Drive the screw in. Take it out. Soak the hole with the thin super glue. Wait over night. Re-insert the screw. Doing a whole case at once makes sense.

YuSynth is a really good selection of DIY modules in 5U. Gotta give props to Oakley too.

edit: David Dixon AKA Dr Sketch-n-Etch is another great resource for DIY 6U PCBs. If you like the intellijel analog modules, he can set you up with their 5U relatives.

There are more options from 3rd parties for MU panels than there used to be. Don't let the lack of a panel keep you from some of these PCB only resources. /edit

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 am

I mix Dotcom and MOTM all day long. Yep, I'ma heathen! :miley:

The power requirements are the same and they play perfectly well together.

In a "standard" 22U doctcom case, you can put "6U" of MOTM in-line with 17U of dotcom panels and only have a sliver of 1cm wasted space. Placing more or less MOTM U in that line can create wasteful gaps of 1-2 inches.
MOTM &.jpg
This shows my example with three 2U MOTMs in 'ze middle...

~R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Cool red screws!
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Return to “5U Format Modules”