MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So I plugged my Cwejman mmf-1 the wrong way
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author So I plugged my Cwejman mmf-1 the wrong way
mojopin
I should have known something was wrong when the lights on my other modules weren't lighting up. I thought it was a power issue of my monorocket since i've read such things. I finally pulled out the module and took a closer look and saw an arrow that blended into the connector on the back pointing to where the 'red line' goes (i hadn't noticed before despite looking). I thought that since the connector was keyed I was good to go. Problem is that one side of the cable had the red line keyed down and the other up. I plugged the module the wrong way and into the bus the right way. After I fixed it, everything appears to work fine. Why didn't anything blow up? Am I safe to assume that since everything sounds okay that things are fine? My past cwejman modules had the cable plugged in but this one didn't. I did look closely and took my time but still failed. Cwejman = red line up on BOTH the module and bus. d'oh!
Reptil
cwejman modules are protected. It's peanut butter jelly time!
I did the same once, the cable that came with it was wired wrong (upside down on the other end), but that was also because I didn't check. confused
no magic smoke It's peanut butter jelly time!
haven
Cwejman modules are electronically protected against being plugged in backwards.

-12v goes to -12v
mojopin
I know they are protected but I wonder why the led's weren't working on the modules. I am worried that voltage was flying all over the place. I also plugged other modules into it to test it but as I said it all sounds fine now. I guess it would be apparent if something else was harmed.
cluster
they should be fine. I think yer goood
suboptimal
I plugged in my DMF-2 backwards the first time. I noticed something was wrong because sparks were flying off the faceplates of my modules onto the patch cables! But it was fine.
monroe
I plugged in my zoggletog backwards one time, and the whole case exploded in a great fireball. I brushed it off and reversed the power plug, and the case went backwards in time and reformed itself. After that, everything worked fine.
gwaidan
mojopin wrote:
I know they are protected but I wonder why the led's weren't working on the modules. I am worried that voltage was flying all over the place. I also plugged other modules into it to test it but as I said it all sounds fine now. I guess it would be apparent if something else was harmed.

The Blacet-style protection which a lot of manufacturers use will short reverse voltages to ground via a reettable fuse-this would put enough of a load on the power supply to prevent the other modules from getting enough voltage. Once everything's reset all would be fine provided the main supply's fuse hasn't blown....
zdarma
monroe wrote:
I plugged in my zoggletog backwards one time, and the whole case exploded in a great fireball. I brushed it off and reversed the power plug, and the case went backwards in time and reformed itself. After that, everything worked fine.

I heard that happens with some of the early models. The newer models send you back in time so you can try it again. Would be great if someone who has both models could do a demo comparison.
Knobtwister
Reptil wrote:

Do this apply to other euromanufacturers modules?
richard
I need a zoggletog, might get two
God_Albino
Knobtwister wrote:
Reptil wrote:

metasonix at the very least. makes me feel more secure, they just feel a lot more potentially explosive and shitmelting than most modules.
gwaidan
God_Albino wrote:
Knobtwister wrote:
Reptil wrote:

metasonix at the very least. makes me feel more secure, they just feel a lot more potentially explosive and shitmelting than most modules.

Also STG, and Synthesis Technology I believe
anselmi
Quote:

I bet they are! FUUUCCKKKK!!! Metasonix! The Agonizer!
Reptil
I don't think Doepfer, or Plan B are. But I've never tried. Dead Banana
mattrobertson
I plugged a module in the wrong way once, and it was because the supplied power cable was the wrong way round. I remember at the time i felt kinda angry that the supplied cable was wrong, but then on the other hand I know now that I HAVE TO CHECK!

I think you should be good if its protected
Knobtwister
gwaidan wrote:
God_Albino wrote:
Knobtwister wrote:
Reptil wrote:

I'm not sure if I got lucky when I plugged my wogglebug wrong when I got it a year ago, but it did not get damaged when I did so. w00t
God_Albino
ayiyi, reminds me of the first time i had sex...

Finding the right socket, whether the red line on my connector unit should face up or down... Sparks WILL fly if you don't get that connection right, although some of the newer models seem to power up just fine regardless of where you plug in hmmm..... technology can be a wonderful thing, but some of the female/male hybrid units you run into now and then just leave me feeling baffled, like my programming is just antiquated and uncompatible with some of the advances.. Dead Banana
terrafractyl
I've fried a doepfer a-190-1 by plugging in a different module backwards, My friend has also done this
d'oh!
It was a while back but after doing some searching on the doepfer yahoo group I found a reply from Mr Doepfer saying something about how the construction of the module made it very easy to fry these in this way...
haven
gwaidan wrote:
God_Albino wrote:
Knobtwister wrote:
Reptil wrote:

Also Intellijel

I don't think it costs much extra to design the protection in. The way the Euro power connectors are designed adding protection is the right thing to do both from a usability and cost perspective. Its just too easy for the user to reverse the connector by accident.

I have thankfully never damaged a module by plugging in backwards! The only time I did it by accident I was lucky they were modules that had been protected by the designer.
joey
one of my metasonix modules had the ribbon cable plugged in the incorrect way, and I mistakenly plugged it like that. I was freaking out when nothing was powering on, luckily they had the protection or else I would have been FUCKED! d'oh!
gwaidan
haven wrote:

I don't think it costs much extra to design the protection in. The way the Euro power connectors are designed adding protection is the right thing to do both from a usability and cost perspective. Its just too easy for the user to reverse the connector by accident.

Yup-and plugging a 16 pin euro connector backwards will short the 5V and 12V rails together, so the 5V rail will suddenly carry 12V and damage most things connected to it throughout the system.

The parts to protect against reverse voltage and overvoltage cost about 50 cents per power rail....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1