MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

which interface??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author which interface??
zamzam
at the moment im running an Sh101 and a modular with 3 VCO's from ablton using the usual midi-cv converters (midi comes from Mbox 2 and 8/8 usb to midi). if i wanted to start to use silent way, what kind of interface would be able to run all these separately, also allowing me to run LFO's and other stuff from silent way...

any suggestions/advice/knowledge would be massively appreciated

cheers
mckenic
Device compatibility list for Silent Way -

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html

I think the usual is 8 out, so youd get 8 CV or gates or whatever...

Or the Expert Sleepers ES-1 (again 8 CVs) Module and any interface with balanced outputs (Im hoping the balanced bit is workaroundable!) -

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html

thumbs up
os
Any recent MOTU interface would be a reasonable choice, or as mckenic says, have a look at the list on my website.

If you already have some sort of multiple-output soundcard, the ES-1 might be a cheaper option to get yourself into the Silent Way thing.

@mckenic - balanced outputs are not a requirement. The ES-1 has balanced inputs but will accept unbalanced connectors.
zamzam
Cheers OS, unfortunately im running an Mbox2 which has only 2 outputs d'oh! so basically im looking for any Motu, which would mean no need for a ES-1 or sound card with multiple outs + ES-1.. how about the ES-1 with DB25, sorry to ask dumb questions but this is all a bit new to me.. is there a way of connecting to a DB25-usb or is that not poss...
Kent
Keep in mind that you can't use Silent Way or Volta within the ProTools environment. I don't know if that is your plan (MBox) or not though. Perhaps it works when 'wrapped' but I've never tried it.

Hey, Os. Is the the AC encoder capable of working with a Buchla 200e? I know that much depends upon the Audio Interface in question, but seeing as how voltages will be + only, this appears to be right up the Buchla alley.
Is the break-out panel the same thing as the capacitor & diode network that is shown on your site but simply made 'neat' and put in a panel format? ==edit== Answered in the negative on his site's FAQ.
I saw some bliken-lights on your video. What's that about?
os
zamzam wrote:
how about the ES-1 with DB25, sorry to ask dumb questions but this is all a bit new to me.. is there a way of connecting to a DB25-usb or is that not poss...

The DB25 is just a multi-channel audio connector. You would use it with a DB25 to jack or DB25 to XLR loom.

Kent wrote:
Perhaps it works when 'wrapped' but I've never tried it.

I'm told it works fine.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=281962#281962
os
Kent wrote:
Is the the AC encoder capable of working with a Buchla 200e?

Should be fine. As far as I know the Buchla runs on electricity, same as every other modular synth.

Kent wrote:
seeing as how voltages will be + only

The ES-1 will produce negative voltages too, if required.

Kent wrote:
Is the break-out panel the same thing as the capacitor & diode network

No, it's an active circuit.
See the FAQ: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html

Kent wrote:
I saw some bliken-lights on your video. What's that about?

It's about making it look cool, pure and simple.
Kent
os wrote:

Should be fine. As far as I know the Buchla runs on electricity, same as every other modular synth.

Actually, it runs on Eel-Powered-Sex! Eel Power FTW!

What I meant to ask was whether it could dish out sustained +10VDC and deal with 1.2V/Oct.
os
The max output voltage will depend on your audio interface, if using the AC Encoder and a passive rectifier. The ES-1 is certainly capable of delivering 10V, provided it can get about 2V in.

Silent Way in general works with any V/Octave scaling.
zamzam
cheers OS, kent
so basically the best route for me will be 'motu - vco' or maybe 'digi 002- es-1-vco'

will be running this from ableton
os
Another good value route might be ES-1 + Behringer ADA8000 + some audio interface with an ADAT output. That way you get 8 outs to the modular without tieing up all your actual audio outputs.

But for simplicity, any current MOTU should be a good choice.
shacksman
Kent wrote:
Keep in mind that you can't use Silent Way or Volta within the ProTools environment. I don't know if that is your plan (MBox) or not though. Perhaps it works when 'wrapped' but I've never tried it.

silentway works in pro tools 8 when wrapped, thats what am useing with my ES1+pro fire2626 It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1