Orgone Accumulator MK2: alternative firmware.

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Orgone Accumulator MK2: alternative firmware.

Post by batchas » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:31 am

Here is a preview of the alternative firmware I’m writing for the Orgone Accumulator MK2.
It has nothing in common with the original firmware made by Neutron Sound installed on it. The original firmware is way more complex and IMO it makes the Orgone totally unique. It’s the reason why I wanted it in my BugBrand system and spent time building it.

So the goal with this alternative firmware is of course not to replace it. It won’t and it can’t, cause as said the original firmware is excellent.
I chose to do something totally different just for fun (masochism?), to have more different sounds in the BugBrand system and also because I wanted to know more about the Teensy Audio Library amd also the coding language used with Arduino.
It’s very simple as you know to upload the firmware as an HEX file via USB on the Teensy, so sharing it once it will be ready was also a part of the motivation. So I will make it open source and publish on Github once I played a bit with it.

More infos/details, more text:
First I was inspired by the Telharfauxnium, an alternative firmware running on the Radio Music and quickly I drifted and new ideas + wishes appeared during programming.

Here are a few excerpts from the very first 20 mins I spent with it, after uploading to the Orgone and before making the preview video two days later.
It’s done on the 3.5mm version, not the bananas version (so I was able to record out of the studio). It means I plugged only 1 CV source from Le Seq to only 1 parameter. And also sometimes a gate signal. But as you know, from the 18 potentiometers on the Orgone, 9 can be controlled via external CV, so there’s of course far more to explore!
The high-pitch noise tone (louder) which comes from time to time was a bug. I got rid of it now (see video).
What we hear is the direct audio output of the OA MK2. No overdub. If you hear mixing, it’s done on the Orgone.
Delay or reverb were added on a few snippets, so it’s obv. not a demo.

Check all snippets called „Scrotum Lab alt. firmware for OA MK2 - Additif [X]“ here:
batchas.bandcamp.com/album/scrotum-lab-orgone-accumulator-mk2

Some have an effect from the H9 added on top. Look under „about this track“ for more infos.

I’m listening to these snippets and thinking: „well… I added a lot of cross-modulation possibilities, but some true random functions would also be fun…“.
But all pots, switches, cv’s are already taken… so we’ll see!

I did not check what changes this alt. firmware would need to run on the first Orgone Accumulator derived from the Eurorack DIY project, but a few CV IN will be missing as the MK2 has more. So pins might not correspond. Worth checking with me if you want to upload it on a MK1 or a Eurorack Orgone.
I will maybe make it available for these, but not right now as it needs a lot of time invested.

I can't upload videos in better quality. Sorry about that.
Last edited by batchas on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Orgone Accumulator MK2: alternative firmware.

Post by deltaphoenix » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:13 pm

This sounds great, Robert! I recently picked up a second Radio Music thinking I would give Telharfauxnium a try. I too Really love the OA but I am going to have to give this a try! Thanks for being a masochist!

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm

I played a bit this evening with it. Here a few sounds:
ADDITIF 1

Now some chaos an noise :sb:

Without effect or anything else than the output of the Orgone:
GRANULAR 1

GRANULAR 2

Here audio out of Orgone sent to COF filter:
GRANULAR 3

Here audio out of Orgone sent to COF filter + PT Delay. This one is weird!
GRANULAR 4

After coding during a week to make this alt. firmware and spending today an hour playing with the Orgone, I thought it would be fun to build a dedicated box with this kind of synthesis and different modulations. Even with an SD Card with samples for realtime wav manipulation etc etc.
So many possibilities…

I'm gonna make some minor changes to the firmware soon, cause details or ideas appeared during playing.
But first I'll make a break during a few days, too much in front of the screen does not do me good.
So many ideas, but I will limit myself, or this thing will never be finished.
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:11 pm

batchas wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:31 am
First I was inspired by the Telharfauxnium, an alternative firmware running on the Radio Music and quickly I drifted and new ideas + wishes appeared during programming.
A firmware which adds 16 sinewaves together.
batchas wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:31 am
Check all snippets called „Scrotum Lab alt. firmware for OA MK2 - Additif [X]“ here
Hmm. The URL is embedded automatically but it will then go to the playlist and the first tracks are not the snippets made with this "Additif" alt. firmware. I should have made a new album extra for this. Shame it is not possible on Bandcamp to move the tracks to another/new album.
Anyway, I'm taking here the www. in front of the link away and you can go directly to the bandcamp page and sroll down to listen to the "Additif" tracks.
batchas.bandcamp.com/album/scrotum-lab-orgone-accumulator-mk2
And I'll do the same in the original post.
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Return to “BugBrand Devices”