Expert Sleepers disting EX

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 14060
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by os » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 am

If I recall he asked if you could add the effects on top of the SD Multisample algorithm, to which the answer is no.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by mntbighker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:10 am

os wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 am
If I recall he asked if you could add the effects on top of the SD Multisample algorithm, to which the answer is no.
Ah, right, and doesn't matter if your in single or dual mode in that case.

User avatar
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 14060
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by os » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 am

SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm
Hey all, when using SD MULTISAMPLE is there a way to change the input mode to have NO pitch or gate inputs, i've checked the cv mappings and it doesn't seem like you can turn off the cv gate pair... I mostly input with midi so input 2 and 4 are being held hostage! would be cool to be able to turn the input mode setting to zero....
Here's a beta for you.
Attachments
distingEX_1.5beta.hex.zip
(776.28 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm

os wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 am
SlagRalden wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm
Hey all, when using SD MULTISAMPLE is there a way to change the input mode to have NO pitch or gate inputs, i've checked the cv mappings and it doesn't seem like you can turn off the cv gate pair... I mostly input with midi so input 2 and 4 are being held hostage! would be cool to be able to turn the input mode setting to zero....
Here's a beta for you.

:hail: SO FAST! I only tested the one feature but it works perfectly! I had all six inputs set to detune 6 different voices and it sounded amazing!

Ellingferd
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Ellingferd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 pm

I’m wondering if anyone has experienced off/distorted/downsampled sounding notes when using the multisample algorithm? I notice it in particular when using the Wurlitzer (#51 I believe).

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 pm

adaris wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 am
From the Disting EX manual:

5-pin DIN MIDI I/O

The disting EX has an expansion header on the PCB which can be used to add a pair of traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI ports to the module (one input/one output). This is compatible with the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout.

Connections
The MIDI ports are exposed on a 4-pin expansion header (labelled GT4/MIDI) on the rear of the module. All of the necessary electronics are on the PCB; all that needs to be added is the actual sockets.

The header pin-out is as follows (pin 1 is closest to the 'GT4' text):

Pin - Function
1 - OUT pin 4
2 - OUT pin 5
3 - IN pin 5
4 - IN pin 4

Pin numbers refer to the 5-pin DIN socket as in the MIDI specification.

The header is a standard 0.1" pitch header compatible with e.g. typical IDC cable sockets.

When using the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout, pin 1 of the breakout's header (GT1) corresponds to pin 1 of the disting EX's header (GT4). Orient the ribbon cable to match up these pins. The supplied ribbon cable has two rows of four contacts – use the same row of four at each end.
I've had the EX for a few weeks, so have now purchased the MIDI breakout and it arrived today. After literally hours of trying I cannot get anything out the SD Multisample of the EX when using the MIDI breakout. I've followed the instructions above to the letter, as per the manual, and have double, triple and quadruple (and more) checked - swapping round the orientation of the breakout cable in every conceivable way, but I get nothing. The EX and breakout have been in and out of my case all afternoon trying to sort this. It's working fine with gate and CV inputs from Pam's.

I was going through the MIDI out of my audio interface, so to rule that out I tried connecting straight out the back of my Komplete Kontrol keyboard into the "In" socket of the breakout. Nothing. I've tried two different MIDI cables (both of which I know are working with other devices).

I'm hoping I'm a total idiot and missing something, but cannot think what else to try. Is there any setting within the Disting menu that needs to be changed from default in order for the MIDI breakout to work? Is there a way of testing whether I have a hardware fault somewhere? If so, is the fault on the EX or on the MIDI breakout? Unfortunately I don't have a spare cable suitable for connecting the breakout to the EX - do I need to buy one to rule that out?

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm

redlester wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 pm
adaris wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 am
From the Disting EX manual:

5-pin DIN MIDI I/O

The disting EX has an expansion header on the PCB which can be used to add a pair of traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI ports to the module (one input/one output). This is compatible with the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout.

Connections
The MIDI ports are exposed on a 4-pin expansion header (labelled GT4/MIDI) on the rear of the module. All of the necessary electronics are on the PCB; all that needs to be added is the actual sockets.

The header pin-out is as follows (pin 1 is closest to the 'GT4' text):

Pin - Function
1 - OUT pin 4
2 - OUT pin 5
3 - IN pin 5
4 - IN pin 4

Pin numbers refer to the 5-pin DIN socket as in the MIDI specification.

The header is a standard 0.1" pitch header compatible with e.g. typical IDC cable sockets.

When using the Expert Sleepers MIDI breakout, pin 1 of the breakout's header (GT1) corresponds to pin 1 of the disting EX's header (GT4). Orient the ribbon cable to match up these pins. The supplied ribbon cable has two rows of four contacts – use the same row of four at each end.
I've had the EX for a few weeks, so have now purchased the MIDI breakout and it arrived today. After literally hours of trying I cannot get anything out the SD Multisample of the EX when using the MIDI breakout. I've followed the instructions above to the letter, as per the manual, and have double, triple and quadruple (and more) checked - swapping round the orientation of the breakout cable in every conceivable way, but I get nothing. The EX and breakout have been in and out of my case all afternoon trying to sort this. It's working fine with gate and CV inputs from Pam's.

I was going through the MIDI out of my audio interface, so to rule that out I tried connecting straight out the back of my Komplete Kontrol keyboard into the "In" socket of the breakout. Nothing. I've tried two different MIDI cables (both of which I know are working with other devices).

I'm hoping I'm a total idiot and missing something, but cannot think what else to try. Is there any setting within the Disting menu that needs to be changed from default in order for the MIDI breakout to work? Is there a way of testing whether I have a hardware fault somewhere? If so, is the fault on the EX or on the MIDI breakout? Unfortunately I don't have a spare cable suitable for connecting the breakout to the EX - do I need to buy one to rule that out?
Under the misc menu try "show midi history". That will show any incoming midi. If nothing, chances are you've not plugged the ribbon cable in right. You need to use the same row at both ends.

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm
Under the misc menu try "show midi history". That will show any incoming midi. If nothing, chances are you've not plugged the ribbon cable in right. You need to use the same row at both ends.
In the MIDI history it displays:

B
B
B
B

See photo. Does this look right?

I have the cable using the same row at both ends. Just to be clear, Pin 1 at the Disting is next to the GT4 text, but Pin 1 on the breakout is at the opposite end to the GT1 text?
Attachments
IMG_9948 2.jpg

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm

redlester wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm

In the MIDI history it displays:

B
B
B
B

See photo. Does this look right?

I have the cable using the same row at both ends. Just to be clear, Pin 1 at the Disting is next to the GT4 text, but Pin 1 on the breakout is at the opposite end to the GT1 text?
Nope, you should be seeing lines of data showing channel / message etc. Oz demo's midi history in this vid:



Looks like hardware (such as the ribbon cable) or maybe the device isn't sending midi. More likely the cable.

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Looks like hardware (such as the ribbon cable) or maybe the device isn't sending midi. More likely the cable.
Thanks for helping with this.

I'm sure the device(s) are sending MIDI, I've tried sending direct from my MIDI keyboard and also sending MIDI notes from Ableton. I can see the "MIDI Out" light flashing on my audio interface. Neither produce any sound.

I will get hold of another cable and try that. If that doesn't work, I will contact the supplier I purchased the breakout from. Unfortunately I purchased the DX from a different supplier so if there is a dispute about where any fault might be then it could get complicated.

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 pm

redlester wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 pm
jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Looks like hardware (such as the ribbon cable) or maybe the device isn't sending midi. More likely the cable.
Thanks for helping with this.

I'm sure the device(s) are sending MIDI, I've tried sending direct from my MIDI keyboard and also sending MIDI notes from Ableton. I can see the "MIDI Out" light flashing on my audio interface. Neither produce any sound.

I will get hold of another cable and try that. If that doesn't work, I will contact the supplier I purchased the breakout from. Unfortunately I purchased the DX from a different supplier so if there is a dispute about where any fault might be then it could get complicated.
Have you made sure the single pin connectors on the boards are plugged into the same row on the two row sockets? Each of the connectors has two rows.

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Have you made sure the single pin connectors on the boards are plugged into the same row on the two row sockets? Each of the connectors has two rows.
Yes, checked it multiple times.

User avatar
Phitar
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Phitar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 pm

You are correct as far as the pin placement (breakout pin 1 farthest away from the GT1 label).
Your midi history shouldn't be blank though. It should show channel number and message is number after The B. The usual issue is not using the same row of the ribbon cable at both ends but you say you've already verified that is right. :despair:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

User avatar
johnbaptistephilouza
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by johnbaptistephilouza » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your midi troubles redlester. I recently got a MIDIXO to connect to my EX and had no issues (despite my bad luck with midi in the past haha). Was pretty plug & play / straightforward. Been using a Keystep Pro to control it and it really opened it up in a beautiful way. Hopefully your issue will resolve soon!

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Phitar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 pm
You are correct as far as the pin placement (breakout pin 1 farthest away from the GT1 label).
Your midi history shouldn't be blank though. It should show channel number and message is number after The B. The usual issue is not using the same row of the ribbon cable at both ends but you say you've already verified that is right. :despair:
Yes I've also tried it using not the same row just in case the cable is somehow mis-wired, but nothing doing.

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 pm

johnbaptistephilouza wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Sorry to hear about your midi troubles redlester. I recently got a MIDIXO to connect to my EX and had no issues (despite my bad luck with midi in the past haha). Was pretty plug & play / straightforward. Been using a Keystep Pro to control it and it really opened it up in a beautiful way. Hopefully your issue will resolve soon!
Cheers. I've messaged the suppliers to ask if they have a spare cable they can send me.

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm

redlester wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 pm
johnbaptistephilouza wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Sorry to hear about your midi troubles redlester. I recently got a MIDIXO to connect to my EX and had no issues (despite my bad luck with midi in the past haha). Was pretty plug & play / straightforward. Been using a Keystep Pro to control it and it really opened it up in a beautiful way. Hopefully your issue will resolve soon!
Cheers. I've messaged the suppliers to ask if they have a spare cable they can send me.
Just one last thought - does your midi keyboard have any voices? if so when you send from Ableton does it play ok?

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:50 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Just one last thought - does your midi keyboard have any voices? if so when you send from Ableton does it play ok?
The keyboard doesn't but I just plugged the MIDI cable into my Minibrute synth and can confirm Ableton is sending notes out, it works fine.

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm

redlester wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:50 pm
jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Just one last thought - does your midi keyboard have any voices? if so when you send from Ableton does it play ok?
The keyboard doesn't but I just plugged the MIDI cable into my Minibrute synth and can confirm Ableton is sending notes out, it works fine.
That's great then, seems you've tracked it down to the problem. Good luck with getting your new cable. If you still have troubles perhaps post in the expert sleepers dedicated forum here, their support is second to none.

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm

jebusrice wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm
That's great then, seems you've tracked it down to the problem. Good luck with getting your new cable. If you still have troubles perhaps post in the expert sleepers dedicated forum here, their support is second to none.
Thanks I will try that if necessary. I thought I’d start here just in case there was something other than getting the cable connections wrong that could be causing it.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:49 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by SlagRalden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm

One last thought, confirm you are sending and receiving on the same midi channel, in the disting it is under settings-midi/i2c-RX channel (single)

Then confirm ableton is sending On the same midi channel

User avatar
Phitar
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Phitar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 pm

SlagRalden wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm
One last thought, confirm you are sending and receiving on the same midi channel, in the disting it is under settings-midi/i2c-RX channel (single)

Then confirm ableton is sending On the same midi channel
Doubt the channel settings is the issue. Midi history would show info no matter what the channel was.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

redlester
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by redlester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:13 pm

SlagRalden wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm
One last thought, confirm you are sending and receiving on the same midi channel, in the disting it is under settings-midi/i2c-RX channel (single)

Then confirm ableton is sending On the same midi channel
Yes, all OK. Ableton sending on Ch1, EX receiving on Ch.1

User avatar
Bbman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:09 pm
Location: La

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by Bbman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm

I had the same problem initially with my midi breakout. Then realized I had the cable into the EX upside down :).

User avatar
jebusrice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 am

Re: Expert Sleepers disting EX

Post by jebusrice » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Bbman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm
I had the same problem initially with my midi breakout. Then realized I had the cable into the EX upside down :).
I'd plugged mine in on different rows, hence why I was asking about it :D

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”