MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to get any Buchla osc. to mimic the Hertz Donut!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How to get any Buchla osc. to mimic the Hertz Donut!
Kent
Seeing as how imitation is the most sincere form of flattery; from Buchla to Harvestman and now back again, I'd like to ask how to do what jonkull has mentioned here. I found the tracking modes to be the most charming aspect of the Hertz Donut and would love to replicate it.

jonkull wrote:

I set up a patch last night that attempted to mimic the Hertz Donut's tracking modes where the mod oscillator was attempting to follow the principal oscillator using two sections of the 266e. One to generate the random voltages and the other to delay the voltage by one pulse. It was about 90% there but getting the pitch CVs exact was next to impossible. I wonder if something like this could be done with the 225e. Does the 225e serve as a kind of internal quantizer or is it specific to MIDI sent and received from an external source?

Ideas? Thoughts? Patchbook recipes?
jonkull
I'd love to replicate it too. lol
nrdvrgr
I can help you - lets just exchange my HD´s for your Buchla oscillators.
Problem solved, everyone´s happy.

w00t
jonkull
I don't remember how I had this set up specifically. It took about two hours of tweaking but it was something like this...

One pulse picks the pitch for the principal oscillator. That voltage also gets sent to the skew in on the 266e which is set up as a sample and hold. The second pulse (empty 281e channel) is like a delay so you can adjust the spacing between the pitch changes. Third pulse triggers the Mod oscillator which then receives the stored voltage from the 266e which changes pitch to match the principal...and on and on. It's not exact and I'd love for someone smarter than me to come up with a better way. I've been thinking about buying a Donut just for this feature.
jonkull
I want to try this again only with a fluctuating voltage patched to the degree and chaos inputs of the stored voltages. I think there should be a little randomness in there somewhere.
N59
I'm sick of all these "how do I get my buchla to sound like a hertz donut" threads. There's no substitute for a hertz donut, so just accept your buchla for what it is. If you can't, bite the bullet. Sell all your buchla and go euro! hihi
Kent
nrdvrgr wrote:
I can help you - lets just exchange my HD´s for your Buchla oscillators.
Problem solved, everyone´s happy.

w00t

f u applause

N59 wrote:
I'm sick of all these "how do I get my buchla to sound like a hertz donut" threads. There's no substitute for a hertz donut, so just accept your buchla for what it is. If you can't, bite the bullet. Sell all your buchla and go euro! hihi

Bravo!
chinard
i have been trying to get my Ferrari to mimic the behavior of my Prius.
anybody have any suggestions?
jonkull
I don't know. I thought it was a fun experiment. I guess patching is serious business. meh
parasitk
Awesome thread! applause lol
Lyonel
dkcg
Bastards....now I'm thinking about how to simulate the bad and worse tracking modes. I'm thinking send a frequency CV to the primary, same CV through a 256e along with a SOU CV modulating the original frequency CV, bad would be maybe a 50-50 mix of CV and SOU, worse would be all SOU CV and little to no frequency CV, maybe some CV feedback to flavour. I'm sure it would not sound the same tho.

I think the 259e may be closer in sound, even though it's more similar to the Piston Honda in concept. I know I've heard some very aliased gritty digital sounds out of that more easily than the 261e.
jonkull
Probably wouldn't sound the same but you should try it anyway. No 256e here so I can't do it.
felix
In theory, you just need some modulation feedback (Primary also modulates the Modulator) with lag processing in between.

I don't think it will sound exactly, but should get pretty close.
amnesia
there's an app for that :-)
Navs
PLL/ sync + xmod?

Addding random to the pitch CV doesn't sound right - you want to mess with the synchronization of the two oscillators.

Ironically, this is the kind of spaz-sync you can coax out of the AFG. If you were to then modulate the master with the slave you might get the HD's seeming randomness, right?
jonkull
I think this would probably be a lot easier to do if the mod osc responded to CVs when it was in pitch track mode.
dougcl
Not sure what a HD does (never owned one), but I got some nice PLL activity from the 259e by putting the mod osc in soft sync, tracking off, then sending the same pitch to both oscillators, and adding a very small amount of 266e FRV to the mod osc pitch, or merely detuning the mod osc by giving it a very slight amount of pitch attenuation.
Kent
Doug, that sounds like the right direction. I can't wait to try it, although it'll be a while. cry
jonkull
dougcl wrote:
Not sure what a HD does (never owned one), but I got some nice PLL activity from the 259e by putting the mod osc in soft sync, tracking off, then sending the same pitch to both oscillators, and adding a very small amount of 266e FRV to the mod osc pitch, or merely detuning the mod osc by giving it a very slight amount of pitch attenuation.

I thought the mod oscillator didn't respond to pitch CV when in tracking mode. Mine doesn't seem to at least. How are you doing this?

As far as what the Hertz Donut does you can set it so the mod osc tracks the principal osc with different degrees of success. So when the pitch of the principal is changed the mod will try to catch up to it with different degrees of success. It has a kind of noise through s/h type sound only more interesting and pleasant (at least to me).
dougcl
dougcl wrote:
putting the mod osc in soft sync, tracking off

Meaning, don't put it in tracking mode. Use soft sync to get it to try to hook up. Since soft sync can't really do the job, help it with varying amounts of messed up pitch cv. In this situation, the PLL in the 259e will start to do some of that squirrely A-196 stuff.
jonkull
Duh, I don't know how I misread that. lol
dougcl
Try it you like it.
Kent
chinard wrote:
i have been trying to get my Ferrari to mimic the behavior of my Prius.
anybody have any suggestions?

Put batteries in it.
dkcg
I tried and failed. d'oh!

But I came up with this after getting distracted.

http://soundcloud.com/ibdk/donutribute
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2