MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

where to buy allen strange's electronic music?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author where to buy allen strange's electronic music?
mr big
i've been struggling to buy this book for a few days. i understand it is sold by mcgraw hill's primis online as an ebook. when i go to, www.mhhe.com/primis/online, i get redirected to 'create' some new mcgraw hill website. it seems this is place to put together your own book. in any case allen's book is not in their data base. i have tried emailing their customer support but two days later nothing.

has anyone had this problem and solved it?

any alternative sources?

ironically illegal downloads are easily had.
russma
From the Create site FAQ, it looks like you'll have to phone their customer service line:

"If there is a particular book that you would like to transition from Primis to Create, and it is not available in your My Projects folder, please contact Create customer service at 800-962-9342. One of our customer service representatives will be happy to assist you."
rico loverde
i found mine on amazon
mr big
idiotboy wrote:
From the Create site FAQ, it looks like you'll have to phone their customer service line:

"If there is a particular book that you would like to transition from Primis to Create, and it is not available in your My Projects folder, please contact Create customer service at 800-962-9342. One of our customer service representatives will be happy to assist you."

thanks. i'm in japan. calling a customer service agent in the us sounds like a nightmare. two days and no email response doesn't fill me with confidence.

please hold............
Kent
If you do hunt down a copy, either electronic or actual, make sure that it is the 2nd edition. I've had the latter editions and I still own the 2nd edition. The 2nd edition has much more information.

It's a great book which I read quite often. I even just took it to Kiev and back. Great for reading whilst in the air.
mr big
Kent wrote:
If you do hunt down a copy, either electronic or actual, make sure that it is the 2nd edition.

this raises an interesting point. on the mcgraw hill site they sell the 1st edition of Electronic Music as an ebook. (actually on primis which doesn't seem to exist anymore) in any case, that is a shorter title, right?

i was thinking this is probably not the original book but a new version they are calling a 1st edition. does anybody know about that?
Kent
I doubt that they'd call a subsequent edition a lower number.
mr big
the original title is electronic music: systems, techniques and controls.

the ebook is simply called electronic music. i'm thinking maybe they consider this a 1st edition ebook. why would the publisher put out the older version?

i'm hoping anyway.
richard
I bought the digital edition and its not very good. its the 2nd edition but a bad scan and uses that shitty digital book encryption crap. keep your eye on amazon instead
mr big
richard wrote:
I bought the digital edition and its not very good. its the 2nd edition but a bad scan and uses that shitty digital book encryption crap. keep your eye on amazon instead

thanks for the heads up. i assume you bought it from mcgraw hill, right?

i see one on ebay for $120. that seems harsh. what is a fair price for a paper edition?
Waz
Pay a wiggler to scan it for you. Of course you should buy the shitty ebook version to keep your conscience clear. 8_)
mr big
the guy selling on ebay sure ain't going to be sending anything to his family.

for $15 i'll live with a crappy copy i guess. that's if i can get mcgraw hill to even answer my emails. maybe i'll have to try a long distance call after all.

added: i just saw a guy on amazon selling one for $500. yikes!
MrBiggs
There are currently eight copies on Amazon for less than $70.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/069703612X/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp _0?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Amazon's description lists it as "1st edition" but when you're dealing with the Amazon Marketplace it could be any edition, really.
There's a copy in the music department at the Philadelphia Central Library too. Reference only, so I might go spend an afternoon there soon...
richard
I paid about $25 for a paper edition in good condition - they aren't that rare, just a bit tricky to find. Anyone asking $500 wants a smack in the mouth. I have a bunch of rare artbooks I sold on amazon - they were all listed by others sellers at $900/$500/$300 but in reality I coudn't sell even those (genuinely rare) books for more than $125 apiece. I don't even know why people waste their time overpricing...

and I wouldn't trust the publisher to pay anything to his family either, I wrote to Allen about the digital reissue and he didn't seem to have anything to do with it - and he was as bewildered as I was as to how to actually get a copy. I think I had to pretend I was in a US university or something stupid like that to open an account.

the bright side is that it is still a great book - full of good ideas for FM etc
MrBiggs
Looking closer at Amazon, the 2nd ed. definitely is priced higher than the 1st. The 1st has 174 pages or thereabouts and the 2nd has 274, which is I suppose how one can tell the diff.
revtor
its a great book.... Keep hunting for a copy. Id say if you see one for $50 or aroudn there then go for it for sure. You'll appreicate your VCA's when you go to recreate many of the patches within..
hbookbinder
You might have better luck searching for the ISBN (0-697-03602-2) specific to the edition you're looking for.
fluxmonkey
I bought mine via Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.com); great service for OOP books, aggregates stock from 1000s of indie bookstores. Looks like $60-80 is the going rate, which is about what I paid for mine... it was worth it, to me, good source for both technical basics and inspiration.
richardm123uk
I purchased mine from the mcgraw hill website last year and it worked fin (although you nee to download their special reader. I printed off a copy and had it bound at work lol

A wonderful book!.
Reed
The first edition was done in the 1970's and is a bit more universal in its approach. The second edition, a rewrite from some point in the 80's, is more brand-specific in its applications. It features photographs and patches of Moogs, ARPs, Emu modulars and Buchla 200's. Both are worth having, especially the performance patches in the back.
essex sound lab
fluxmonkey wrote:
I bought mine via Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.com); great service for OOP books, aggregates stock from 1000s of indie bookstores. Looks like $60-80 is the going rate, which is about what I paid for mine... it was worth it, to me, good source for both technical basics and inspiration.

That's where I bought mine as well. Very happy with their service. And was worth it to me as well.
ex_dead_teenager
Abe has always been good to me it's like the used bookstore I always wanted to live near.
J1m
It's on eBay now. Sure it has a creased cover, but at 400 dollars it's a steal...
J1m
Sorry, you need the link. [LINK REMOVED BY BABALUMA] Cheaper than a TB303!
Babaluma
[MODERATOR NOTE: It's not clear if this is your own auction or not. Please note the marketplace official rules posted here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34546

In particular, this paragraph:

Quote:
- DO NOT START THREADS FOR YOUR ITEM ON EBAY! If you have items on eBay, AND you ALSO have 100 posts or more you may post a link to your items ONCE in the general stickied 'Random eBay Thread'. New threads that link to eBay will be deleted. Posts linking to eBay sales by users with less than 100 posts will be deleted.

MODERATOR NOTE ENDS.]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3