V'Amp Bare Bones Kit.....

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

V'Amp Bare Bones Kit.....

Post by mckenic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey Flight!

I hope you dont mind me popping-up all the time. I'll have to do so again for my SoS build... A few quick questions please about the V'Amp kit. I didnt find too much in the forum on the kit so hopefully this might help someone else.

Jacks - I have 5 of my own jacks (bought too many when I considered diy multiples!). Can I wire them to the included jacks just like the Plague Bearer kit to make multiples (which I understand have to be used wide-to-point)?

I understand these jacks now (thank you very much):

How do they correspond to the jacks pictured in the manual please?

Looks like the top is tip and the other two are wired to ground?

In the pic from the manual above were looking at the pots from the back right? The tip(?) of MOD2 goes to the 3rd wiper on the MOD pot directly, the tip(?) of INPUT goes to the 3rd wiper on the INPUT pot directly also? A little confused by the blue circled connection.

Are pots B104 = 100k & B103 = 10k? Sorry if thats a standard convention!

Theres a lot stuff connected together (I know huh!) going to ground - any hints to save me from big globs of knotted solder please? :)

Finally, any hints on connecting the pcb to the faceplate please - have glue gun and will go wild :hihi:

Thanks again for you patience, help and just everything Flight.
Dave

flight
The Plague Bearer

Re: V'Amp Bare Bones Kit.....

Post by flight » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:50 pm

mckenic wrote:Hey Flight!

I hope you dont mind me popping-up all the time. I'll have to do so again for my SoS build... A few quick questions please about the V'Amp kit. I didnt find too much in the forum on the kit so hopefully this might help someone else.
Not a problem, and posting it in the oopen here is a great approach.
Jacks - I have 5 of my own jacks (bought too many when I considered diy multiples!). Can I wire them to the included jacks just like the Plague Bearer kit to make multiples (which I understand have to be used wide-to-point)?
Not quite the same on the V'Amp as with the PB. The PB doesn't care if an input is left floating (not grounded or connected to any signal), but the V'Amp can be touchy about that. That is why the switch terminals are grounded in the diagram in the manual. So if one jack has the switch grounded, the other needs to be left ungrounded, and you have to use the grounded one first when plugging something in. See the following diagrams:
I understand these jacks now (thank you very much):

How do they correspond to the jacks pictured in the manual please?

Looks like the top is tip and the other two are wired to ground?

In the pic from the manual above were looking at the pots from the back right? The tip(?) of MOD2 goes to the 3rd wiper on the MOD pot directly, the tip(?) of INPUT goes to the 3rd wiper on the INPUT pot directly also? A little confused by the blue circled connection.
The circle just shows that it is a connection, and the color matches the line that is being connected.
Are pots B104 = 100k & B103 = 10k? Sorry if thats a standard convention!
You've got it. B104 = B taper (linear), and a value of ten with four more zeroes behind it - (10)0000 = 100000 = 100,000 = 100k. It's not exactly a standard number format, and can be different depending on the batch of pots.
Theres a lot stuff connected together (I know huh!) going to ground - any hints to save me from big globs of knotted solder please? :)
Yes: don't go crazy with the solder. :)
If there are a number of connections to the same point, go ahead and use the "bus" approach, i.e., run one wire point-to-point and then to the main connection. If there seems to be too much noise or weird behavior, then you should try a star connection, where each point has its own wire to the main connection (ground, in this case).
Finally, any hints on connecting the pcb to the faceplate please - have glue gun and will go wild :hihi:
Hmm, good question! But that is why the PCB has holes in the corners - so you can make a bracket or use standoffs. I believe there is plenty of advice on making brackets in the DIY section of Muff's.
Thanks again for you patience, help and just everything Flight.
Dave
You are again welcome, good luck!
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey Flight!

Sorry for the late reply - Thank you very much again for all your help.

This pic was especially helpful - Thanks!

I think I need a new tip for my iron and to step back and re-try the kit. I just plugged it in and I have Input and Output sdrawkcab :woah: Fully clock-wise was no signal and counter clock-wise was full! That and smoke started coming out of the ground pins of the bus board connector! :doh: Not quite :eurosmoke: but enough to make me stop! :hihi:

Of course, as soon as I asked about the connection bracket, I found a great thread with cool ideas on here.

Thanks again Flight! Going to take a deep breath and give it another lash! (If I can keep away from the SoS kit!)

:tu:

Return to “Flight of Harmony”