MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

newbie question (problem) - installing a module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author newbie question (problem) - installing a module
cluster
So I bought my modular setup this past summer. I got a doepfer portable case and didnt have the cash to fill the whole thing up. just got my first module since the summer- the plan b heisenberg generator. My problem is this - it seemed very straight forward, i put the heisenberg gen in a vacant space and connected the ribbon to an open set of prongs in the case. i made sure the red part of the ribbon was on the bottom so that there was no twists or anything. looked similar to the other ribbons already setup. I turned on the system and all My LED's were fixed red (there was no change in tuning the LFO's) no sound output and the heisenberg was fixed red in the LED's. I immediately turned the modular off because i was scared i had done something wrong and was causing irreversible damage.

Is there something im doing wrong? whats going on here?

thanks so much for your help i hope i didnt do damage to anything. im so psyched to try this module out.

also, if it wasnt clear, all my other modules came shipped in the doepfer case from analog haven... thats why this is the first module ive had to install myself.

thanks so much
dkcg
Peter's pretty good about red stripe down on his modules, and he's pretty good about parking his PCBs, especially around the power. Make sure that the red stripe is aligned with -12v (he usually has a marking on the PCB that says "red stripe"), and make sure that the cable is going where it should be on the module. If that's ok, you may have installed it a pin off or something. I usually only get that scary "why did everything stop working right" moment when I've installed something incorrectly, but luckily, haven't killed a module yet. knock on wood.

Usually when I've installed something wrong, it's because it's only getting half the pins in the cable, or it's shifted a pin over.
cluster
hmm thanks for the advice. i checked the ribbons. the ride stripe was down correctly. also tried re installing it in different ports. having the same results - all LED's go out. also, when i remove the module and turn the system on it works fine again. .. any other suggetions anyone?

Thanks in advance
cluster
also, DKCG, I assume you are Dkimcg on youtube? if so, you have great videos.
Cybananna
It sounds like you hooked it up fine.

the only audio output is the "source out". It's digital noise.

The other outputs are used to modulate other things and don't produce sound on their own.

About the leds, they will stay one color for a long time at certain settings. That's the nature of it. That doesn't mean that it's not changing, just not going from + to - . You can play around with the settings and fine some that flip from red to green (it may make you comfortable to see it change!). The LED color thing is a common concern about this module so you're not the only one that has experienced that.

You might try running the output to an oscillator or filter to hear that it is changing as expected. It also can do some pretty slow modulations so you may want to set the rate mid to high-ish so you can tell it's doing something right away. w00t
cluster
im sorry, i guess i didnt make the LFO thing clear. I have a dopepfer a-145 LFO and a a-198 ribbon controller. all of which have LED's to indicate rates, gates, etc. When the Heisenberg is plugged in, the lights turn on for a second and then fade. upon tweaking the knobs no lights show up. or in the ribbon controllers case, the lights are frozen "on". the heisenberg gen doesnt seem to "turn green" at any point.

thanks..
cluster
is it a faulty module?? sad confused
Cybananna
ok, I think I understand. That does sound strange.

So, when you power the case on, the LFO doesn't blink the rate like it normally does, just goes out? If that's the case, that does sound like a problem of some sort.

can you see the LEDs on the bus boards? There are 3 LEDs, The bottom two LEDs (+12v and -12v) should be on if the power is correct. (If you have an additional 5V power installed, that may change this, but i'm not sure since I don't have one.
Cybananna
Here's something you can try with the heisenberg to make the LED go from red to green to see if it's working.

On the lower portion of the module (the stepped controls)

set "VC deviation" to "0"
set "period" to "10"
set "deviation to "0"
sweep "mean" from "0" to "10"

the led will flip from red to green during the sweep.

Of course, other settings may let it flip too, but this one is hopefully easy to communicate. If it doesn't flip from red to green with these settings, something is probably wrong.
cluster
okay! this seems to indicate something.

without heisenberg, all 3 lights are lit "on" on the bus board. When heisenberg is in, the top two lights are on and the bottom LED is off.

what does it mean?!?! we're not worthy sad
cluster
also, no response on the stepped output thing ... it seems ive been shipped something thats not working properly... so sad..
Cybananna
supercluster wrote:
okay! this seems to indicate something.

without heisenberg, all 3 lights are lit "on" on the bus board. When heisenberg is in, the top two lights are on and the bottom LED is off.

what does it mean?!?! we're not worthy sad

well, that's a little out of my knowledge range, but I doubt if they should change from the on state without the heisenberg to when you plug it in (I just looked at my bus board which is OK to tell you which lights are on). I don't think the bottom LED should go off with the heisenberg installed. I'll take a guess that it's a problem with the -12v (-12v is the bottom led on the bus board) on the heisenberg or it's cable. You could check the cable for damage and look at the heisenberg PCB for a missed or bad solder joint.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in about the bus board LEDs. we're not worthy

It sounds like there's something going on with the heisenberg at this point. If you don't find a bad joint or something (or if you do find something of course), i'd email chuck at noisebug and tell him what's going on. He can probably get it sorted out.

Sorry I don't think I can help much more here, but it looks like it's been narrowed down to a module problem and not operator error.
d'oh!
cluster
your help is greatly appreciated. thank you.
Cybananna
yea, if no response on the stepped out check, i'd say there's a module problem.

Again, check the cable and PCB for mistakes .

You did try connecting the heisenberg's cable to different locations on the bus board right, so it's not a bad pin on the bus board?
cluster
tried many different bus ports. checked the ribbon and PCB and i didnt notice anything obvious
felix
Just as a sanity check, try this:

Turn "Period" all the way clockwise (fastest rate)
Turn "Chaos" all the way clockwise (least amount of slew)

Turn "Mean" on both Smooth and Stepped halves to 9 o'clock.
Turn "Deviation" on both Smooth and Stepped to 12 o'clock.

Plug in the modular -> are the indicator LEDs flickering Red, Green and Clear (off)?

If you had "Period" turned all the way down, and Mean all the way up, it's likely both halves were outputing a high positive voltage and because "Period" was all the way down, it would be a very long time before they changed (Period = tempo/rate).

And, just so it's clear, the M24 doesn't generate audio, only "control voltages" at it's outputs. You could listen to the "Source Out" which is digital noise.
cluster
ive twisted the knobs in all different directions. the LED's are constantly red no matter where they are turned. the -12 is still not lit up, and other modules are not working properly when heisenberg is installed.
chimologic
do you have a voltimeter?

some people here (maybe) or Peter/Noisebug can tell you how to check for values to figure out whats wrong/make sure is not something you are doing...
cluster
yeah no voltimeter unfortunately
Plan B
It sounds like your cable is in backwards. The PSU is reacting exactly how it should be under these circumstances - the 12 volt line is being pulled into current overload and shutting itself off because you've got it shorted to ground with this backward connection.

Looking at the module you will notice RED BAND THIS SIDE printed on the power connector and on the DOepfer buss end, red band down.

In the future, to avoid confusion or trying things that unqualified people may suggest which could cause a module damage, please contact us with any problems you may be having BEFORE taking it to a blog. If you don't get the answer you like from us, by all means report that to a public forum as they are a grat place for venting these types of issues. Just give us a chance first to deal it our own technical issues. thanks much,

- Peter Grenader
Scaff
meh
cluster
it was only a bad ribbon! on my way to get some heisenberg action in! thanks Peter
Cybananna
so it was connected correctly, but the cable it's self was bad?
dkcg
supercluster wrote:
it was only a bad ribbon! on my way to get some heisenberg action in! thanks Peter

That was my next guess, but I didn't realize these cables can go bad.
Everything pointed to the cable being in backwards tho, that's the only time my modules and case freak out like that.
Cybananna
supercluster wrote:
i checked the ribbons. the ride stripe was down correctly. also tried re installing it in different ports. having the same results

yea, i'm just a bit curious now but I thought the backwards cable concern was confirmed ok in the 3rd post (see the quote above).

So, the cable was installed correctly but was still misbehaving as if it were backwards?

Some of us may benefit in the future knowinng the answer to this situation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2