Patch idea: make the Subharmonicon stereo

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Patch idea: make the Subharmonicon stereo

Post by rplktr » Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 am

The Subharmonicon features two VCOs, each of which provides two clock-divided sub-oscillators. All this is mixed into one signal that goes through one EG, VCF, and VCA. While you can achieve fantastic results with that alone, I was tempted to split the two VCOs into their own signal chains so that you can pan them in stereo. Turns out it's quite easy to do!

All you need are two separate EGs. I'm using Mutable Instruments Streams since it's not just a pair of EGs, it's also (or rather, mainly!) a pair of analog VCFAs. I'm using one channel as Left Pan and the other as Right Pan.

Now, having Streams is handy as it integrates an EG, a filter, and a VCA, in an elegant small package. But you need some mixers to blend the three voices per oscillator into one signal that you feed to a Streams channel. So, for each oscillator, I used the built-in mixer on a M32 to mix the subs with each other, and then two VCAs in Mutable Instruments Veils to mix the main OSC with the mixed subs. Since I have two Mothers, and Veils have 4 VCAs, it's enough to end up with two separate channels per SubH oscillator.

I hope you can hear this in the video, this opens up the instrument in an interesting way: you get two paraphonic synths in one. Sure, each channel is still using one EG but now each sequencer only triggers the revelant oscillator. That lets notes resonate and generates an organic stereophonic ensemble.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Patch idea: make the Subharmonicon stereo

Post by helix » Tue May 26, 2020 7:48 am

This is really nice. In fact it actually makes the subhamonicon usable! 6 voices all panned dead centre is such a missed trick for some lovely stereo stuff like you've done here. Nice work

**edit. seems like it would be plenty easy to make it stereo with many other ways as well, perhaps just sending certain subs or oscs out to their own separate fx units or modules could make some beautiful textures too)

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Re: Patch idea: make the Subharmonicon stereo

Post by rplktr » Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 am

The nice thing about this approach is that you still have access to the Subharmonicon sequencers through the SEQ1, SEQ1 CLK, SEQ2, and SEQ2 CLK outputs so the sequence is still programmed on the Subharmonicon.

I don't use that all the time though because then you're giving up the ladder filter and the EGs on the Subharmonicon. And there's something musical about the quirk that both sequencers retrigger the EGs regardless of the oscillator, and that EGs don't retrigger until they went through the entire AD curve. So I wouldn't say it's unusable without stereo. With some reverb and delay that can be very spacious even though it's mono. Here's a patch where the Subharmonicon is used without any tricks, and in fact it triggers the two Mother sequencers, too:

edit: You are absolutely right! We could just pan the subs and leave the main OSCs on the built-in signal path. Thanks to the built-in mixer you can turn down some signals you don't want coming from the main VCA. There's plenty of very musical possibilities here.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”