Seems a good time to share Serge patching ideas! Lets learn!

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

djangosfire
dimensionally transcendental

Seems a good time to share Serge patching ideas! Lets learn!

Post by djangosfire » Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 pm

I’ve been lurking a lot here more lately... its been great to see so many Serge posts! As I’m rearranging my music schedule.. I look forward to learning/sharing more here. It would be cool to have a casual collective post where people can share simple, Serge individual module focused discussion.

OK - for starters, two “seemingly not too exciting” modules that I have not used that often (but would love to explore):

- Pulse Divider
- Boolean Logic

Let learn together - I’ll patch tonight and share some thoughts.. and I invite anyone else to share here too!!

Cheers to learning! - Adam
2C28516E-0725-4882-B133-83F0485CD891.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Seems a good time to share Serge patching ideas! Lets learn!

Post by batchas » Sun May 24, 2020 2:02 am

First thing which comes in mind is the PULSE DIVIDER can be used for audio. 1 audio signal at the input and at the output you'll get the different divided frequencies (you get of course a rectangle wave at the output).

I found a wonderful very clear and high definition video I did which shows very clearly what it does. Hem hem... It's not public cause it's too good quality!!! It's a demo where you have to guess!!! Very helpful hahaha :deadbanana:

A good an example of what not to do when you want to make a helpful demo! Quick quick as usual.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sun May 24, 2020 9:54 am

Are the sts version outputs diode protected?

They are amazing rhythm generators if they are diode protected because you can OR all the outs.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:16 pm

batchas wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:02 am
First thing which comes in mind is the PULSE DIVIDER can be used for audio. 1 audio signal at the input and at the output you'll get the different divided frequencies (you get of course a rectangle wave at the output).

I found a wonderful very clear and high definition video I did which shows very clearly what it does. Hem hem... It's not public cause it's too good quality!!! It's a demo where you have to guess!!! Very helpful hahaha :deadbanana:

A good an example of what not to do when you want to make a helpful demo! Quick quick as usual.
I like using the pulse divider this way too. Kind of like the trick of sending an audio rate trigger to the DUSG and then changing the fall time to get the subhamronics. Doing it with the pulse divider you can have many different subharmonics at the same time

djangosfire
dimensionally transcendental

Post by djangosfire » Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Yes! Great ideas - and useful too :)

Hmmm.. I think I'll experiment combining the audio into Pulse Divider pacth idea with the Boolean module and see what sort of "cycling timbres" might be possible - Thanks for the ideas . . . I'll report back - Cheers, Adam

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am

djangosfire wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm
Yes! Great ideas - and useful too :)

Hmmm.. I think I'll experiment combining the audio into Pulse Divider pacth idea with the Boolean module and see what sort of "cycling timbres" might be possible - Thanks for the ideas . . . I'll report back - Cheers, Adam
That sounds like a great idea, would love to hear some rhythmic cycling of different audio rate signals thru any kind of wave processing, modulated by pulse divisions or logic gates. ..or perhaps even a bunch of gates combined into a dual processor to make different CV values for faux 'sequenced' modulation ;)

I don't have either of these modules so am excited to learn so techniques

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 am

Not directly related to those specific Serge Modules, but according to this info:

http://www.serge.synth.net/modules/r3_pt/index.html

The Serge Peak and Trough circuits are the Logic OR (Peak) and AND (Trough) both part of the Boolean Logic module. These are three videos i made some months ago, on the P+T included in the DUSG XL panel, exploring them with the DSG´s at audio rate and LFO´s , cross modulating it´s sections, and also beat generation. Not sure if the results are exactly the same as with the Boolean Logic. I´ll have to get my Gator and give it a go. But i hope these give an idea of how it sounds and look on the scope.

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 am

As a recent 73-75 Homebuilt user, I'm trying to imagine uses for the Peak&Trough circuit. So far, I mostly use Trough, without any inputs, as a convenient source of +6V.

Does anybody have usage examples I should try?

Edit: oops! I just noticed the post above this with P&T examples. Any others?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”