Modules for transposing sequences

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Andy137 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Which modules can make fast transposing for sequences? Do I need ALM Beasts's Chalkboard only or should I look at precision adder?

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Doepfer A-173-1 and A-173-2?

(Particular solution may depend on what sequencers you’re using.)

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Arneb » Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Andy137 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 pm
Which modules can make fast transposing for sequences? Do I need ALM Beasts's Chalkboard only or should I look at precision adder?
Beast's Chalkboard is a precision adder, it's just one without CV input and with manual input restricted to octaves. If manual octave transposition is all you need to do, sure, go for it.


User avatar
greyscales
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by greyscales » Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Disting has a couple of precision adder modes that work very well.

Beast's Chalkboard is a great octave switcher but only does octaves and no CV.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: amsterdam

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by fjoesz » Sat May 23, 2020 5:05 pm


User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1906
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I think nothing beats the Tetrapad for this function IMO
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by MindMachine » Sat May 23, 2020 7:02 pm

I'm checking out the ACL Oktave module.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by bemushroomed » Sat May 23, 2020 7:05 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-wk1

Just 2HP... best one i've found.

Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Andy137 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:56 pm

So as I understand, it can do any precision adder?

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Arneb » Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Andy137 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:56 pm
So as I understand, it can do any precision adder?
Yes, in fact pitch CV transposition is the most important use case for precision adders.

User avatar
moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by moremagic » Sun May 24, 2020 9:09 pm

id recommend trying using one of your cv mixers before buying a module you might not even need

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2579
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by brandonlogic » Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm

I like A-185-2 because it has 3 way switches on every channel for add, subtract or off. If you don’t need to use all the inputs the normalizations allow you use those channels to add or subtract an octave.
The switches make using it a very hands on and performable... a bit more fun than your average precision adder.

I like the fact that it has 3 buffered identical outs, ideal for sending the same cv to multiple oscillators.
The top channel with the attenuator is cool too. It’s useful for adding some FM to your cv before it hits the oscillators, basically adding an additional fm input to them.
This comes in handy when taking advantage of the 3 outputs, sending the same cv to 3 oscillators because you now a single fm input for 3 oscillators at once, on top of 3 way precision adding and/or octave shits!

User avatar
Joey P.
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 am
Location: Washington DC

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Joey P. » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Just picked up a Quantum Pax which is a combination of buffered mults and unity mixers that allows for 4-part transposition from combinations of individual part and global CV.

Before getting the Pax I was using an Intellijel buff mult and a couple unity mixers.

Andy137
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by Andy137 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:34 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm
I like A-185-2 because it has 3 way switches on every channel for add, subtract or off. If you don’t need to use all the inputs the normalizations allow you use those channels to add or subtract an octave.
The switches make using it a very hands on and performable... a bit more fun than your average precision adder.

I like the fact that it has 3 buffered identical outs, ideal for sending the same cv to multiple oscillators.
The top channel with the attenuator is cool too. It’s useful for adding some FM to your cv before it hits the oscillators, basically adding an additional fm input to them.
This comes in handy when taking advantage of the 3 outputs, sending the same cv to 3 oscillators because you now a single fm input for 3 oscillators at once, on top of 3 way precision adding and/or octave shits!
So comparing ALM Beast's Chalkboard and Doepfer A-185-2 the second one looks more versatile and not 'one trick pony'.

User avatar
aroom
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 765
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:27 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by aroom » Mon May 25, 2020 3:55 am

check this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=2570133#p2570133

I've compiled a list of module who can handle pitch transpose

User avatar
oilpanic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:27 am
Location: Petaluma CA

Re: Modules for transposing sequences

Post by oilpanic » Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 am

Trans Europa by Frequency Central can do this type of CV manipulation.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”