MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

JJP Samplecorder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author JJP Samplecorder
bwhittington
I was reading up on this little fellow this evening, and I'm curious if this will have the ability to start recording from a cv trigger. It looks like this is the case via the record/play panel legending, but how will this work? Do you arm it for recording (push button or cv trigger?) and then it records instead of plays back? Does it record for the length of the pulse or is it a start/stop trigger? Also, I don't really see anything on the panel that looks like it toggles between two samples.

Just trying to get my head around this one. If it had the ability to record and playback via cv triggers, that would be pretty trippy. For some reason, I'm guessing that won't be able to be a fully automated process. , though. The ability to chain these or trigger other events is pretty cool. Lots of intrigue here to me. It seems like something I could end up wanting a handful of depending on how it operates.

Cheers,
Brian

dslocum
Brian,

Obviously, I'm trying to as much out of this analog speech recorder chip as I can. You're looking at the original panel concept, so as I say on my site, this is preliminary stuff - don't hold me to any of it till it's real please!

My intent is to allow two samples. Each sample can be manually played back by either a separate panel pushbutton or gate signal (second not shown on this mockup). The sample will playback until complete and then fire the Done output gate jack. If the second sample was triggered at sometime during the playback, the second sample will sound, fire the Done output, and then continue cycling between sample 1 and 2. Hence looping a single sample or both samples as long as the gate is applied. If either sample is Done and there's no pending sample 2 trigger, AND gate 1 is still active, sample 1 will loop until the gate is released. Same for sample 2 looping. The Done output is a 5 volt positive pulse of about 5-10 ms and can trigger anything else, including another samplecorder.

There's a Record/Play switch on the panel. If in record mode and one of the two gate inputs is applied, that sample is recorded for as long as the gate is applied, up to about 30 seconds. There is no indication when time is up - use a stopwatch! :-) Both sample work this way.

Some minor drawbacks that I'll try to get around, but doubt there's much I can do... Samples play until the end of the sample - not my idea, it's the chip. :-( There's a brief delay between the time the sample is done and the next sample can begin - on the order of about 10 ms, hence minor sound gap (fill it with reverb?).

Cheers
ritchiedrums
dslocum wrote:

Some minor drawbacks that I'll try to get around, but doubt there's much I can do... Samples play until the end of the sample - not my idea, it's the chip. :-( There's a brief delay between the time the sample is done and the next sample can begin - on the order of about 10 ms, hence minor sound gap (fill it with reverb?).

Cheers

thumbs up Or ANOTHER 1310 thumbs up
bwhittington
This may be asking too much of the poor little chip, or the overworked engineer designing the module, but I was thinking it would be interesting if it were possible to send a pulse to arm the recorder, thereby allowing you to sample random snippets and play them back in a largely automated process. Could that be done by the user adding a vc switch to the design? Or is that a dumb idea for the way this guy really works?

Cheers,
Brian
dslocum
bwhittington wrote:
This may be asking too much of the poor little chip, or the overworked engineer designing the module, but I was thinking it would be interesting if it were possible to send a pulse to arm the recorder, thereby allowing you to sample random snippets and play them back in a largely automated process. Could that be done by the user adding a vc switch to the design? Or is that a dumb idea for the way this guy really works?

Cheers,
Brian

Brian,

Not dumb at all. I'm all ears to you guys. Hell, if you guys aren't the driving forces of the Renaissance of MU analog synths, then who is? I'm just the damned shoemaker! :-)

Are you suggesting that you'd like to sort of randomly collect audio samples into the chip every time a "record" gate/trigger comes in ?? Interesting concept.

I doubt it's possible based on chip limits, but I can keep it in mind as I work on the firmware this project.
bwhittington
Yes, that sums up my kooky idea. Kind of a "found sound" concept. I'm down for at least one of these guys in any case, but I'd be tempted to get a bunch of them if this proved possible. I would really enjoy having a symphony of gobbledygook at my fingertips.

Actually, what you describe still sounds cool. If you had an incoming sequence of gates, can you flip the switch, have the unit record for the length of the next gate, and flip the switch back (or a momentary switch?) and have it be off to the races playing the new sample when triggered again? I'm imagining this used in conjunction with a trigger sequencer for dicing up a sound source into rhythmic patterns. If I have my head around it right, it sounds pretty nifty.

Seems like the manual switch(es) should be at the top of the unit for easy access. Not to try to rearrange your ideas. It's just a module I'm excited about.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. You're one heck of a "shoemaker." thumbs up
dslocum
bwhittington wrote:
gobbledygook at my fingertips.

I get that sometimes, but less as I get older. cry lol

bwhittington wrote:
PS. You're one heck of a "shoemaker." thumbs up

LOL - Thanks so much - We try!
kindredlost
Low Gobble-T-Gook...

I'll just lurk now thank you.
dslocum
OK - I thought I'd allay any rumors that the SampleCorder is just a figment of my feable imagination, so here's a bit of a tease.

The firmware for the CPU was holding things up a bit, but I got it running this morning and with a couple minor tweeks, its working great. After some listening tests and subsequent resistor value changes, I'm pretty pleased with the functions and performance.

Here's a couple pix of my SteamSynth prototype....

bwhittington
Looks nice, Doug! I'm glad to see that the Steam Synth aesthetic is living on. If that ends up being the final layout, the first thing I would do upon receiving one is change the switch to a horizontal orientation to match the labeling.

Can't wait to hear some demos of it in use!

Cheers,
Brian
7thDanSound
Oh I've been wanting one of these for ages! Gimme gimme smile
dude
jazzz
tobias
This looks awesome! Any speculation on price yet?
dslocum
Jerri & I appreciate the encouragement, but it's still premature to define specs.

We DEFINATELY are looking for feed back. We've gotten a bunch of feedback already which is valuable, but based on our SteamSynth prototype images...

...WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE THE FUNCTIONALITY?

We're hoping to keep this in the $225.00 USD range. We're considering a way to give a quantity discount for folks that want to hook-up more than one. (Hint) Rockin' Banana!

Current functions:
----
RECORD:
Press and hold either Gate 1 or Gate 2 (Or alternately externally Gate 1 or 2)
The Input jack is recorded until the Gate1 or Gate 2 is released (25 seconds max per Gate input).

PLAYBACK:
Trigger or gate either Gate 1 or Gate 2. This begins a playback sequence.

When playing back Sample 1, then play sample 2 IF it's in queue.
When playing back Sample 2, then play sample 1 IF it's in queue.

Gates are sequential and in the order they are applied.

-----
Oh, Darned....
Phone calls, interruptions, etc... Shoot --- I lost my train of thought. Wine is GREAT. Wine is EVIL (not). You decide! Damn.

Till the next time....

Doh!
fac
Some ideas/questions:

1) Can you patch the Done output into Gate 1 or Gate 2 in order to achieve a "loop" mode?

2) Would it be possible to add CV control to the Play/Record switch in order to automate the recording process?

Suppose you add an extra "Record Gate" input. When in Play mode, the module would normally (i.e., Record Gate off) play a sample when receiving the corresponding gate, but when Record Gate is on, it would switch to record mode for as long as that gate is on, and a sample would be recorded for as long as its corresponding gate *and* Record Gate are both on. I know this probably means that if a sample is being played and Record Gate goes on, the output sound would be cut off, but it would also allow switching to record mode with a foot pedal, an LFO, or a sequencer.
kindredlost
I tend to think of this as a Looper module. Of course I believe in UFO's too. zombie
I use a "looper" on the KP3 pad quite a bit. (you've seen it on the demos)

I am still trying to grasp the entire ON/OFF function of this module...

1) Records until you release (or gate off)

2) Plays back when a trigger/gate is applied.

Now that could be good if you had a trigger/gate every bar or measure, but I still am having a time understanding how this is a workable method.

What I see as a normal function would be to have it record until the release/gate is - uhm, released then it would loop until (?). How does the gate hold it in if it was released to end the recording?

I'm missing something. (but not the wine comment - a good Australian Shiraz is in order) hihi
7thDanSound
You asked for it hihi

I like the notion of having one gate to control when to record/play and another input to decide wether to record or play, this would fit my style better. Also there could be a trig mode where a pulse starts playing the sample and it plays to the end. But this would kind of defer the gate thing above. I'd also like a loop mode so you can make very short samples and loop them like single cycles, maybe with CVs for start and end.

Ok, I went over board a bit Mr. Green Given the current topology and look I'm quite happy, can I just get a way to trigger recording with a gate and maybe shift between playback and recording with a gate I'm set. This looks to be a very useful module.

Oh, and will it do CV?
dslocum
fac wrote:

1) Can you patch the Done output into Gate 1 or Gate 2 in order to achieve a "loop" mode?

No need. If for instance, Gate1 started the Bank1 playing and it's still high (on) when play finishes, it will play again.

If Gate 1 started playing Bank1, and Gate2 goes high during that time, when Bank1 finished, Bank2 will start - same the other way around. Therefore, if Gate1 starts and stays high, then Gate2 goes high, when Bank1 is done playing, Bank2 will start and since but gates are still high, you'll get an alternating loop between Banks 1 & 2.

fac wrote:

2) Would it be possible to add CV control to the Play/Record switch in order to automate the recording process?

Will do. I'll call it "Record Gate" with record mode as high.

fac wrote:

Suppose you add an extra "Record Gate" input. When in Play mode, the module would normally (i.e., Record Gate off) play a sample when receiving the corresponding gate, but when Record Gate is on, it would switch to record mode for as long as that gate is on, and a sample would be recorded for as long as its corresponding gate *and* Record Gate are both on. I know this probably means that if a sample is being played and Record Gate goes on, the output sound would be cut off, but it would also allow switching to record mode with a foot pedal, an LFO, or a sequencer.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you asking for 2 record gate inputs ANDED together?
dslocum
kindredlost wrote:

1) Records until you release (or gate off)

Correct.

kindredlost wrote:

2) Plays back when a trigger/gate is applied.

Correct. See my response to FAC above.

kindredlost wrote:

Now that could be good if you had a trigger/gate every bar or measure, but I still am having a time understanding how this is a workable method.

What I see as a normal function would be to have it record until the release/gate is - uhm, released then it would loop until (?).

>>How does the gate hold it in if it was released to end the recording?

I can do that in firmware. Just an idea - Let's say FAC's Record input goes high, then Gate1 goes high. Bank1 will record until record input goes low, then if Gate1 is still high, it'll playback Bank1. Is that what you had in mind?

kindredlost wrote:

I'm missing something. (but not the wine comment - a good Australian Shiraz is in order) hihi

Seem's our tastes in wine well are aligned! It's peanut butter jelly time!
dslocum
7thDanSound wrote:
You asked for it hihi

I like the notion of having one gate to control when to record/play and another input to decide wether to record or play, this would fit my style better. Also there could be a trig mode where a pulse starts playing the sample and it plays to the end. But this would kind of defer the gate thing above. I'd also like a loop mode so you can make very short samples and loop them like single cycles, maybe with CVs for start and end.

Ok, I went over board a bit Mr. Green Given the current topology and look I'm quite happy, can I just get a way to trigger recording with a gate and maybe shift between playback and recording with a gate I'm set. This looks to be a very useful module.

Did I answer your questions in the previous posts?

7thDanSound wrote:

Oh, and will it do CV?

I really looked into doing that, but the entire compander chain has to be AC coupled. I gave up on that idea early on because of that. However, I think I'm in tune with the desire there, Bubb!
7thDanSound
dslocum wrote:
Did I answer your questions in the previous posts?

Yes! Thanks smile
tobias
Is there any way to control the speed of the loop playback?
kindredlost
dslocum wrote:
Just an idea - Let's say FAC's Record input goes high, then Gate1 goes high. Bank1 will record until record input goes low, then if Gate1 is still high, it'll playback Bank1. Is that what you had in mind?

Yes, The idea of a separate gate for record is the key thing.

So that is 3 gates. One for record, and two for each "bank"?

Next wrench in the works...

How do you determine which bank will be armed for record? Would that require a gate for each "bank record"?

Sounding a bit like we are planning a heist.
dslocum
tobias wrote:
Is there any way to control the speed of the loop playback?

Afraid not. Would be cool though.
dslocum
kindredlost wrote:

Yes, The idea of a separate gate for record is the key thing.

So that is 3 gates. One for record, and two for each "bank"?

Correct. Actually one for each bank, But I think I got your drift.

kindredlost wrote:

How do you determine which bank will be armed for record? Would that require a gate for each "bank record"?

The Record input/switch simply puts it into record "mode". The recording doesn't start until one of the gate inputs goes high.

kindredlost wrote:

Sounding a bit like we are planning a heist.

I thought we were!? lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthetic Sound Labs Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2