MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bypassing the blacet rack????
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author bypassing the blacet rack????
scozbor
ok so i'm wondering why or if i need to get another blacet rack? i have a wooden enclosure (IKEA Ghost ) which I will be using.

i'm wondering if i can just use some rails?
what about the MOTM rails? I know the holes will be different, but a quick bit of drilling will fix this.

some aluminum strip should work, but it would need to stay quite rigid (something with a right angle?)

the other alternative is to use full 3U 19" rack panels and mount multiple modules to it. obvious disadvantage is no swapping around modules. i wonder if panel rigidity would be a problem??

i notice that if you don't use the blacet rack there is space for extra modules (perhaps a 2 space module?), due to the space taken up by the rack itself...

anyone got any suggestions/experiences?
Cybananna
I have wondered similar. Since the Blacet racks are non-conductive if I remember correctly, can't you just screw the modules directly into wood "rails"? Yea, you couldn't move them around forever with out eventually stripping out the wood, but if you didn't move them anyway?
scozbor
yeah wood! i guess you could just replace the wood rails eventually...
revtor
I used wood rails on a cabinet for euro modules. 6x1/2 machine screws and the modules are in securely.. you can butt them up tight to each other too. eventually youll get the pattern of the panels in the rails and you can move the modules around no problem. Unless you screw and unscrew the screws 50 times or more, youre not going to strip the threads.. (Just dont over tighten!)

~Steve
DGTom
I'm in the same boat, would love a cheapskate option! I've been eyeing off the rear rails, just need a couple of ears hihi MOTM style rails would be awesome, would be more room for modules!

I wonder if a small run w/ a light metals fabricator would be viable. With a punchpress & folder I could make about 200 of these in the blink of an eye.
scozbor
DGTom wrote:

I wonder if a small run w/ a light metals fabricator would be viable. With a punchpress & folder I could make about 200 of these in the blink of an eye.

wow! I would be very interested in this...
DGTom
I wish I was still doing nights at a place I worked that mostly manufactured HUGE switchboards for industry & major shopping centres! Could've bootlegged a Frac rail.
plord
DGTom wrote:
I'm in the same boat, would love a cheapskate option! I've been eyeing off the rear rails, just need a couple of ears

Here you go. Pre-drilled for a six way mult, in black:) Order from FPE, or print out, tape to aluminum stock, and cut/drill your own.
DGTom
Awesome, thanks!

Just got 2 Blacet VCOs & a Micro LFO in todays post, so I've totally spilled out of my 1 rack help

I really do like the idea of MOTM style Frac Rails, I think because my rack is sitting with my Euro rack on top of it & the space taken up by the Frac Ears is almost exactally 4HP, but it would end up being an odd size in Frac spaces.

Would be cool for some non standard width DIY modules.
Kwote
my only real issue now that you guys have me thinking about it is the PS500 and the PSCONN. atleast in an skb case like mine i'd be fucked for mounting them even if i had proper rails for the modules.

oh well. blacet rack ftw in my situation i guess seriously, i just don't get it
consumed
wood cases work beautifully for blacet, motm, wiard. you need chassis grounding (more or less) with euro and modcan.
BugBrand
One funny thing with the Blacet/Paia racks IS the waste of rack-ear space - I really do think it is a WASTE! (ok, you *can* make a few little additions for the ends, but it is a hassle!)

See, 11 FracWidth can fit perfectly happily within a 19" Rack (that's 16.5" of modules then 1.25" per rack-ear).

Another bug-bear for me is the depth of the frames -- 7.5or8 inches is just wasteful in my view. I guess it comes from the length of PCBs but then I reckon that a lot of PCBs are well oversized (talking from my experience of building things...)

In the past I've made DIY frames just using metal right-angle strips from the hardware store - cheap and not too tricky - just mark the holes accurately and drill the holes. Strong and reliable! But, I do like the idea of simply using wood strips for a really quick and easy approach - not so good for regularly changing or traveling modulars, but great at an easy push.
parasitk
BugBrand wrote:
See, 11 FracWidth can fit perfectly happily within a 19" Rack (that's 16.5" of modules then 1.25" per rack-ear).

Yep, that's my issue with the FracRack too. Rails would be great. Even better would be getting out of the 19" width format (like the various Doepfer cases, but deeper)
haricots
I went the Ikea route to mount my Frac and MOTM modules. I already had the Blacet racks and MOTM rails but used wood for the vertical rails which works really well.
Kwote
BugBrand wrote:
One funny thing with the Blacet/Paia racks IS the waste of rack-ear space - I really do think it is a WASTE! (ok, you *can* make a few little additions for the ends, but it is a hassle!)

Another bug-bear for me is the depth of the frames -- 7.5or8 inches is just wasteful in my view. I guess it comes from the length of PCBs but then I reckon that a lot of PCBs are well oversized (talking from my experience of building things...)

In the past I've made DIY frames just using metal right-angle strips from the hardware store - cheap and not too tricky - just mark the holes accurately and drill the holes. Strong and reliable! But, I do like the idea of simply using wood strips for a really quick and easy approach - not so good for regularly changing or traveling modulars, but great at an easy push.

see a completely homebrewed rack similar to blacet's without the wide ears is somewhere i'd like to take things. just need the right workspace and tools and a little more disposable income. figure by the time i'm ready to make it happen it won't matter much anymore.

who knows but thanks for making me think a bit more on this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1