Battery Powering your boxes

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Battery Powering your boxes

Post by rodrigo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 pm

I had a quick search but didn't find anything. I remember seeing some discussion about this here or there, but didn't remember any brands/keywords to look up.

Is anyone doing a battery/powerpack setup along with the CL boxes? I have a few of those handy Patch-Point/Bugbrand wall warts, which work well, but it would be so much tidier on my desk to just have a battery pack with the stuff.

I want to say I've seen some music brands have things like this, but as I said, I don't remember any...

Is anyone using something like this?
What brands?

What features have been useful? (on/off switch? being able to power it off a wall adapter while using it, USB recharging, etc...)

Coitmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Battery Powering your boxes

Post by Coitmusic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey, Rodrigo, I don’t have any experience with this but here’s a solution that Hainbach likes a lot:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=st ... r-solution

I just placed an order with Tayda Electronics and included some 3 AA battery cases and barrel plugs to make up my own high current long lasting 9v batteries for my CL stuff (and others). 6 AA batteries cost about 1.5x a single 9v and should last 5 times as long.

Chester

Cata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cata » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Wow these are super cool ^^^

I wonder if you would have the 9v battery issue with the plumbutter still or if switching to 12v would solve it

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:42 pm

With my cocoquantus, I've been using a USB power bank (nothing fancy, 10,000 mAh capacity) along with either a 12V ripcord or 9V ripcord from myvolts (myvolts.com). I have experienced no problems using either voltage, and I don't think the coco draws that much current, because the battery doesn't seem to drain much, even after hours of use. My power bank is the size of a newer smartphone, but I bet you could still get a couple hours (or more) from even smaller ones.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 am

I'm using this and it works really well. Small and handy.
12 V 4800 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery Li ion rechargeable battery with dc 12480 EU / US Plug Charger
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32947234 ... 6c37A0GAsi

And I use a more powerful one, bigger, for larger system (like BugBrand). Also works perfectly during hours. No available link anymore, but same brand:
DC122000 High Quality Super 12.6v 20Ah Rechargeable Portable Lithium-ion Battery pack DC 12V 20000mAh With EU Plug+charger
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Coitmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Hey, Rodrigo, I don’t have any experience with this but here’s a solution that Hainbach likes a lot:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=st ... r-solution
Ah cool. I think that's what I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name of find links.

It's a touch pricey particularly considering it doesn't provide power. I guess it's just a "power conditioner" thing.

So for those of you that are just using a power bank and cables/adapters, do you get noise or any funny business?

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Actually, a question about the STROM thing, as it's unclear from the video/page.

If you only plug in one power bank to the STROM, do you only get 2 outputs?

Titus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Titus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 pm

rodrigo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Actually, a question about the STROM thing, as it's unclear from the video/page.

If you only plug in one power bank to the STROM, do you only get 2 outputs?
Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.

From what I gather, you have 4 outputs but you‘d need two power banks to power all of them. If you just have one powerbank, you can only power two outputs.

You could use a daisy chain and power multiple instruments from one output? Not sure this is the best idea if all your instruments are power hungry.

Just got a storm but haven’t used it much. Really pleased I got it though! Definitely worth the 100 euros. Also note that it only comes with 1 cable to plug power bank to storm so you need to buy a second one separately (usb 2.0)

For cl gear I use 9v batteries if I want portability. Always alittle worried that a battery will die on me when I have a loop in coco but hasn’t happened yet!

rodrigo
Common Wiggler

Post by rodrigo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm

That's a bit of an odd design choice. It starts to get a bit big if you have one of these, and then two separate power banks... and then the gear too of course.

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:50 am

that strom says its "tip negative", doesnt CL want "tip positive"??

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/koma- ... rom-mobile

bronzedies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bronzedies » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 am

CL does want center positive so you'd need to use polarity conversion cables.

Koma sells a cable pack for the strom which includes one "polarity changing DC cable"

Have yet to scope it with the multimeter but I received my strom and cable pack about a month ago and one of the included cables has white to black tips while all the others are totally black. This is probably the polarity converting cable

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=st ... cable-pack

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 am

still sounds scary
what would happen should you use the wrong tip on the plum or coco or any other CL friends, it just wouldnt work or you would ruin something??

bronzedies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bronzedies » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:09 pm

Would not work and could fry something

Just check your new cables with a multimeter and label them so there's no guessing

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm

there are powerbanks with selectable outputs; 9V, 12V, 16V, 19V, 20V, that can power pedals, modular systems, small speakers, etc.

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”