MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Improbability Drive vs. Noise Ring
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Improbability Drive vs. Noise Ring
Sir Ruff
I've already got a NR and find it pretty useful but I'm wondering how this compares to the ID? They both seem to be unique in their own way, but I'm wondering if having both would be overkill.
Cat-A-Tonic
They are pretty different.

The Noise Ring offers analog white noise,
and is a wild stepped modulation source or sound source,
but the Frac version lacks clock in.

The Improb. Drive S&H has clock in which can be externally clocked at audio rates for sample rate reduction (bit crusher) effects,
a quantizer with chromatic, major, minor, and diminished scales.
analog white noise,
unique VC window comparator derived digital noise,
and a BP/LP VC filter.
Add an external input, and a scale knob as described in the Blacet mods thread and it gets even better.

Personally, I don't find multiple noise sources to be overkill.
I have a CGS Digital Noise too (shift register based).
I don't have a Noise Ring, but I have tried one out first hand and want one eventually.
chamomileshark
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

ok, now I feel stupid - how do you get those different scales?

To answer the question, Cat-a-tonic is right, they are quite a bit different. I tend to use the ID for more classical synthesis, ie classic white/filtered noise effects and S/H. My only regret is that I don't think you can feed it anything other than the noise, so you can't feed it say saw tooth for trills.

The Noisering I find more experimental, it will do repeated patterns and you can also use it for a number of other effects or use as an oscillator.

Yes, I got both. And a wogglebug.
Cat-A-Tonic
chamomileshark wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

ok, now I feel stupid - how do you get those different scales?

To answer the question, Cat-a-tonic is right, they are quite a bit different. I tend to use the ID for more classical synthesis, ie classic white/filtered noise effects and S/H. My only regret is that I don't think you can feed it anything other than the noise, so you can't feed it say saw tooth for trills.

The Noisering I find more experimental, it will do repeated patterns and you can also use it for a number of other effects or use as an oscillator.

Yes, I got both. And a wogglebug.

The 4 scales are selectable via a trimpot on the PCB.
You can remote this to a panel mounted knob.

There are 2 ways to modify it for external input.
Before the filter, or after the filter.
I did mine before the filter with the mixed noise normalled to the switching jack.
There is a direct output of the filter, and it also feeds the S&H and quantizer so you can isolate the bandwidth of the source pre-sample.

Check the modifications thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=795
Sir Ruff
Thanks for the replies-I don't have a straight noise source right now, so it seems like the ID might be a good choice.
zerosum
Quote:
I don't have a straight noise source right now, so it seems like the ID might be a good choice.

I don't have a NoiseRing, but that doesn't mean I haven't wanted one for years.....
Anyway, if your looking at the ID as an audio noisesource, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Having the onboard voltage controlled LP/BP filter makes this thing fun
applause
Obviously you could patch any noise source up to a filter and get similar results, but that's not the point.
I have 3 noise sources, a MOdcan 07b, MOTM 101, and the ID.
The ID is the one that gets used for audio noise most of the time.
I can't really put my relationship with the ID into words, I am happy I have it and think that if your looking for a fun noise source, its worth having.

I'll try to find some audio files I have made with the ID.
parasitk
I've had both, and honestly the Improb Drive didn't really do much for me. I was a bit underwhelmed. confused

The NoiseRing on the other hand is just brilliant, and I miss it dearly! cry
selfoscillate
i have both noisering and improbability drive, love them both,
but for different things. for noise as sound source i usually use
an improb-drive. if i want cv's i use the noisering.
chamomileshark
Thanks cat-a-tonic.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1