MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

looking for a "normal" lowpass in euro :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author looking for a "normal" lowpass in euro :)
wetterberg
So I need to filter up.

I want a "vanilla" unit, or at least one that's fully capable of vanilla. Size is also an issue, which kind of eliminates the frequensteiner, unfortunately.

I've been checking this fantastic shootout here:
http://dubshot.blogspot.com/2008/10/big-doepfer-filter-shootout-8-doep fer.html
and I must say I am FALLING head-over-heels for the 102 Diode Low Pass - it sounds just like the filter that's in my hopefully-resurrectable Transcendent 2000 synth from the mid-70s.

It does that wet, dripping reso-sound, yet also does the full low-res movements that I am looking for.

If it helps, I already have the 106-1 Xtreme filter - it does "angry" pretty well, so something tame or, better yet, tamable would be best.

Cheers for any hints.

Andreas.
theabsent
A-120 was so vanilla that I sold it hyper
wetterberg
-duely noted! thumbs up
flts
IMHO Polivoks VCF is pretty much vanilla when you turn the reso down, quite classic bassy LPF sound ...

... of course it'll gnaw your head off once you turn the resonance up enough lol
suitandtieguy
i'll have the euro version of the Post-Lawsuit Lowpass Filter at AH by Christmas but you probably won't like the layout much.
flts
suitandtieguy wrote:
i'll have the euro version of the Post-Lawsuit Lowpass Filter at AH by Christmas but you probably won't like the layout much.

How wide will it be, 14HP? Same cool style as Wave Folder? I've been eagerly waiting for the euro version to come out, in case it's anything close to the original...
wetterberg
I actually like the layout of the Wave Folder - what's the HP of your PLLF?
chimologic
I recommend giving a shot to the A-105 24dB SSM Low Pass Filter
consumed
yeah the 105 is a nice 24db LP filter and very tamed with no resonance...but you get the steep rolloff. maybe you want something more 12db/octave?
Leisure Cove
I recently picked up a Doepfer A-102 Diode Low Pass based on that same shootout!

The only other filter I can compare it to is my Frostwave Resonator (I'm new to modulars and don't have many to choose from at the moment!)-- one thing I can say for sure is that the Resonator is much less temperamental than the 102! By that I mean the A-102 will go into self oscillation much more quickly than the Resonator. A little resonance goes a long way with the 102, which surprised me and wasn't totally evident from the Dubshot review.

I haven't had it for very long, but I've been having fun with it and am sure that will be even more true once the modulation options in my system expand! I put a few examples on my blog-- if you're looking for rookie demos of the filter in a tiny system, click the link below.
D/A A/D
Its funny, I keep thinking... Alex you need to pony up and get a "real" filter. But then I remember that that goes against my feelings on how to approach sound. I have high hopes for the QMMG.
theabsent
Listen to these A-106-5 12db SEM filter files:

http://cid-d5f2398df80c28d2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/a1065.w av
http://cid-d5f2398df80c28d2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/a1065n. wav
brandon daniel
suitandtieguy wrote:

DING DING DING we have a winner.
dkcg
The Analogue Systems Lowpass is a pretty standard bread n butter lowpass. I don't have one, but it sounds pretty good. I've been using the Polivoks, frequensteiner, or MMF-1 for lowpass mostly.
Chuck E. Jesus
the more i hear the A-108 the more i like...
drewtoothpaste
What filters do you already have Wetterberg?

The Polyvoks filter is really nice sounding and reminds me of the filter in the old Roland SH-09 I used to have... wish I still did (have an SH-2 now which is great, but just not the same...)
wetterberg
drewtoothpaste wrote:
What filters do you already have Wetterberg?
the 106-1 "xtreme filter" ms-20 clone. That's it (still a small rig)
Am also considering CGS diy in form of another oddball, the Bi-N-Tic filter/oscillator.
EDiT; for reference, here's the current layout, as of Dec 08:
suitandtieguy
flts wrote:
How wide will it be, 14HP? Same cool style as Wave Folder? I've been eagerly waiting for the euro version to come out, in case it's anything close to the original...

it's the same width, and similar layout. knobs in the middle, input jacks on the left, and outputs on the right. highly predictable.
flts
suitandtieguy wrote:
it's the same width, and similar layout. knobs in the middle, input jacks on the left, and outputs on the right. highly predictable.

Sounds like it'll be made of win. Hope I'll have the cash to spare at some point...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1