MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author 303
robotfunk
So my mate brought over his 303 and left it here. He had it for over 20 years and couldn't remember how to program it. Little wonder.. this must be the most convoluted un user friendly music box ever. No wonder it originally flopped. I mean really, how the fuck do you program this thing..
Oldstench
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/p303.php
Soundwave
sell it to me... 8_)
7thDanSound
The cumbersome programming is actually the source of some lovely patterns. You just have to learn that first you enter notes, then timing, then special things like accents, slide, rests and octave shifts.
kidtesla
7thDanSound wrote:
The cumbersome programming is actually the source of some lovely patterns...
I agree! ...good point!
authorless
...Or leave it without batteries or without being plugged in for a few days and it will randomize the patterns for you.
Robba
If you can count to 16 you most likely can program it.
computer controlled
It's actually really easy.

Turn it to Pattern Write mode.
Press and hold the Pattern 1 key and hit the Clear button. This clears the timing information of the pattern (not the notes).
Press the Pitch Mode button, hit a bunch of keys.
Hit the Function button, then the Time Mode button.
Black dot = Note On
Open Circle = Sustained Note
Line = Rest
Input your timing information (it will automatically go back to play mode once you hit the last step in the pattern).
Go back into Pitch Mode.
Skip through the notes you programmed and input some Accents, Slides and Transpose the notes up or down 1 oct.
Done.

It is time consuming, but quite simple.
fac
computer controlled wrote:
It's actually really easy.

Turn it to Pattern Write mode.
Press and hold the Pattern 1 key and hit the Clear button. This clears the timing information of the pattern (not the notes).
Press the Pitch Mode button, hit a bunch of keys.
Hit the Function button, then the Time Mode button.
Black dot = Note On
Open Circle = Sustained Note
Line = Rest
Input your timing information (it will automatically go back to play mode once you hit the last step in the pattern).
Go back into Pitch Mode.
Skip through the notes you programmed and input some Accents, Slides and Transpose the notes up or down 1 oct.
Done.

It is time consuming, but quite simple.

What a bunch of nonsense. I say sell the damn thing and buy a FutureRetro Orb or Mobius. They're dead easy and friendly. I've only had to look at my Mobius manual a few times.

I'm kidding, of course razz It's not even his 303 to sell.
computer controlled
You want PITA sequencer to use, try the MC-202!
fac
computer controlled wrote:
You want PITA sequencer to use, try the MC-202!

Lots of Roland gear is a PITA to use, IMO. Not to mention trying to follow their manuals. zombie
computer controlled
Rolandese is it's own language!
aethersprite
Quote:
Lots of Roland gear is a PITA to use

The SH-101 sequencer is soooooooo confusing lol
monads
the programming made perfect sense to someone with musical training especially with the Sign, D.C (da capo), D.S. (dal segno) functions. i probably would've struggled with this little box had I not been familiar with sheet music. what an awesome instrument.
phono1337
its not as hard as people have made out once you learn it, its just hard if you dont have a clue to begin with, also the mc202 seq is probably easier once you learn it, its practically the same way to program it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1